The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need that Moog Taurus Bass Pedal sound Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Need that Moog Taurus Bass Pedal sound

What is the best hardware synth currently made that will get me the Moog Taurus pedal sound?

I only need bass sound. I don't need a full synth. Just Taurus.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Wyler View Post
What is the best hardware synth currently made that will get me the Moog Taurus pedal sound?

I only need bass sound. I don't need a full synth. Just Taurus.
It depends how close you want to be. Any hardware synth with two osc and a 24dbfilter will get you close. If you want the same exact tone : the Moog Source is the only other hardware synth I know that will do the Taurus sound convincingly. It's not currently made but at least it's easy to find and more affordable than the Taurus.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

How about on old Model D? They are expensive, but a good investment.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nope. I have a model D next to my Taurus and the Source is closer to my ears for whatever reason.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mike Rutherford used the Moog Source with a set of taurus 2 pedals on the we can't dance tour as replacement for the original taurus (still dunno why as Daryl Stuermer used the original taurus on the same stage)

There is no real synth that can emulate it well I think. Though there is a VST (free) that emulates it (windows only) which sounds pretty good I think.

I use samples of the moog taurus on an Emu E6400. Sounds convincing enough (need a max of 2 octaves) and sounds good on stage (Im with a genesis tribute band so we need lots of taurus power for the big low end).
Our gig in December is beeing recorded I believe, I can post some samples then if anyone is interested.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

trilogy, re-amped thru a sweet tube DI.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Arturo Moog has Taurus patches I believe. If you want to go the vsti route.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
trilogy, re-amped thru a sweet tube DI.

gregoire
del
ubk
maybe dumb question, but what has a tube di to do with the sound of a moog taurus?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

btw... for the people interested,

raw taurus sample, looped et all. I believe the pitch is G.
Attached Files

Taurus 2.wav (860.3 KB, 3121 views)

Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

IIRC there are some peculiarities to the Taurus VCF circuit. It's not the same as a regular 4-pole Moog transistor ladder VCF, so a basic Mini or a Moog modular patch won't nail it exactly. I need to go hunt through the AH archives to refresh my memory.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornutt View Post
IIRC there are some peculiarities to the Taurus VCF circuit. It's not the same as a regular 4-pole Moog transistor ladder VCF, so a basic Mini or a Moog modular patch won't nail it exactly. I need to go hunt through the AH archives to refresh my memory.
Well I think it depends what you are looking for. Big low end or the real thing. Mark Kelly from Marillion uses the arturia moog vst as a taurus replacement now (with a set of PK5's from roland)

VST plugins by Antti @ Smartelectronix

The Taurus VSTi is on there aswell as a good modelling of the MXR phase 90

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search