The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shinybox MX series VS OktavaMod - thoughts? Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Shinybox MX series VS OktavaMod - thoughts?

I am considering buying either a ShinyBox MXC or MXL. I think if it is between the two i will probably choose the Cinemag transformer as a nice mojo filled microphone. I dont want anything too bright. Im an Albini fan.

However, I am considering the Oktavamod MK-219 with premium electronics, which is the same price range. Does anyone have anything to comment about how different these two would be? Granted, it is ribbon versus LDC.. but i need a good vocal mic, acoustic, etc. Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

what is your price range?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

FWIW

FWIW, I have a Joly modded Apex 205 ribbon and a Joly modded Oktava mk319. I would say that you'd likely find the condensor more useful. It can be used in any situation without worrying about damage to the ribbon. The ribbon has been great in room mic situations for drums and has been great on other sources too. However, I find myself going with the 319 more often than any other mic in my humble locker. It shines on every source and I've heard that the 219 is a very similar animal. Both will give great results for around 300-350 with the p.e. mod.

enjoy,
-poor rich
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by layez View Post
I am considering buying either a ShinyBox MXC or MXL. I think if it is between the two i will probably choose the Cinemag transformer as a nice mojo filled microphone. I dont want anything too bright. Im an Albini fan.

However, I am considering the Oktavamod MK-219 with premium electronics, which is the same price range. Does anyone have anything to comment about how different these two would be? Granted, it is ribbon versus LDC.. but i need a good vocal mic, acoustic, etc. Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated
Get an Apex205 modded by Michael - you will love it. Lundhall tranny, huge sounding, awesome!
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

My price range is around, 400 dollars, maybe a little more if it was really worth it... i have a bunch of dynamic mics (considered SM7, but it's gotta wait) and need a good ribbon, or perhaps a good ldc. Ribbons really smooth out digital sounds to my ears, and for a guy who cant record to tape its a blessing.

I figured it would be my best upgrade, im tired of farting around looking for a EQ on ebay.

Here's what im working with:

Tascam 1082
Sebatron 4000e
ART ProChannel (what a piece of garbage)
KSM44 (not mine but have regular access to it)
Shure Unidyne 57's and new 57, Undiyne 58's
EV 615, DS-35, PL-11
Sennheiser 421
Symetrix 425 comp and RNC
assorted comp and eq plugs

Ribbon seems like a good choice, no?

How much are the modded Apex? Are they comparable in sound quality to the ShinyBox?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

People often think I am nuts for saying this, but look at the Shure KSM32. It is an awesome mic at any price point. Its got the detail of a great LDC without getting overly bright. In fact it can handle really bright sound sources without getting ugly. I often use it in places I would use a ribbon.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

It's not that i dont believe that the 32 isnt a great mic, because i have heard a lot of good things about it, but its hard for me to justify when i have access to the KSM44. I really like that mic though.. i prefer it any day over the 414
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not that i dont believe that the 32 isnt a great mic, because i have heard a lot of good things about it, but its hard for me to justify when i have access to the KSM44. I really like that mic though.. i prefer it any day over the 414
I prefer the 32 over the 44. I like the mellower top of the 32. Both are great mics though.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Ronan do you have any experience with the ShinyBox mics, or the Oktavamods, or the Oktava MKL2500 tube?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I used to own the KSM32 and currently own a Shiny Box 46 Custom and the OktavaMod 219PE. I call the SB "custom" because it's got a custom made ribbon in it that Jon handmade for me along with a Lundahl transformer. Initially it was a stock Shiny Box 46, but I messed it up, so I had Jon pimp it out. heh

I don't think the KSM32 is anything like the SB ribbons. The KSM32 is very accurate and neutral condensor with a good amount of detail. I sounds very good as a drum overhead and I made an amazing recording with it on a kanun once (I'm not sure of the spelling but it's a Middle Eastern stringed instrument with a resonator pan). The Shiny Box I have is detailed, but darker on the top end, and has a huge proximity effect which makes it awesome as a drum room mic.

The 219PE is a very midrange-rich sounding large diaphragm condenser that also excels on acoustic instruments and vocals. I don't think I've ever used a mic on my voice that has made me sound so good. The top end is articulate without being hyped. The bottom end is very big and extended.

Of those three I would choose the KSM32 as a drum overhead, the 219PE for acoustic instruments and vocals, and the Shiny Box for guitar cabs, and drum room mics.

Brad
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Of those three I would choose the KSM32 as a drum overhead, the 219PE for acoustic instruments and vocals, and the Shiny Box for guitar cabs, and drum room mics.

Brad
Agreed. Good description. I have the Apex205 modded by Joly which is basically the same thing as the SB ribbon. I have to say that it is the best drum room mic I have EVER used, and I have 87's, etc.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ronan do you have any experience with the ShinyBox mics, or the Oktavamods, or the Oktava MKL2500 tube?
Did direct shoot outs with the KSM32 and the Oktavamods and preferred the KSM32 by no small margin. I would love to try out the SB ribbons but have not had a chance yet.

Lots of people think I am nuts for digging the KSM32s so much, but its amazing how often they win double blind shoot outs with mics costing 10 times as the price. Of course it does not win every time but damn does it win a lot.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

The thing I remember really liking about the KSM32 of all things was the shockmount. It's a really simple yet effective design. And the red velvet pouch was a nice touch.

Brad
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
People often think I am nuts for saying this, but look at the Shure KSM32. It is an awesome mic at any price point. Its got the detail of a great LDC without getting overly bright. In fact it can handle really bright sound sources without getting ugly. I often use it in places I would use a ribbon.
Ditto. Super underrated utility mic that works great on most things, and takes eq well. On the dark side, but pleasantly so.

And don't discount the Cascade Fathead mic. I somehow prefer mine to the Shinybox 46L that I had (I think maybe because the ribbon element is thinner). Either way, it seems more sensitive and works geat on a lot of sources whereas the shiny box never quite hit it for me.
Old 11th September 2007
I have two Joly Modded Apex 205 mics. They are bad ass on drum overheads/room and guitar cabs and any kind of bright percussion.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

okay now i have to decide between

ShinyBox MXC -400
ShinyBox MXL -400
Fathead Stereo pair - 300
Fathead Ludahl - 300
Fathead Cinegmag - 300
Apex Jolymod - 260

anyone want to share their subjective opinions on the difference between the transformers?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

more specifically, would the price increase of 140$ be worth the tranformers on the Cascade fathead mics? Most reviews on this forum seem to be stock tranformers...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

If I were you, I would just try a fathead with a stock transformer. Its not bad, I'm sure a lundahl is better, but you can return it if you don't like it. Maybe get both, and return one?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i have a mkl 2500 modded with the oktava mod.
it made a big difference.
we would never use it because it sounded pretty good.
not great, just pretty good.
which is not good enough.
the mod has made it a contender.
it sounds really good on certain vocalists.
its forward, in your face and open without being overly bright.
i like it.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

so im assuming you are recommending the mod for the 2500. I actually got one with the British power supply.

I still want a ribbon, and i need to narrow it down between 2 mics. I will probably be using a ribbon more for vocals, perhaps acoustic guitar, and some el gtr. I either want the Fathead or the Vin-Jet. Apparently, the Vin-Jet would be best for vocals but i wonder if it would suit the other applications well that i just mentioned. Does anyone use the Fathead on vocals and like it?
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

I have a Fathead on the way. I'll let you know what I come up with. The biggest problem is I don't have any great singers in the closet. Just me.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Maniac

okay so I got the MKL2500 and now I want a ribbon mic heh

I am very confused on what is a standard affordable ribbon mic. I will use a ribbon for vocals, elec/acoustic gtr, perhaps a room mic. Here's what im considering:

Avant Electronics CR-14 -260$
Cascade Vinjet - 200$
Cascade Fathead - 160$

I decided to cancel the ShinyBox for now since it is 400$ with transformer and these cheaper alternatives seem to be very comparable. All of these listed mics get decent reviews, but the Vinjet doesnt have much talk clamoring about them. I spoke with the Casade rep and he specifically recommended the Vinjet for vocals. Should i not be gearing towards a vocal specific ribbon mic since i just bought a tube mic? I can find lots of great attributes for each mic in the search engines but no one ever directly compares these particular mics with each other.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
And don't discount the Cascade Fathead mic. I somehow prefer mine to the Shinybox 46L that I had (I think maybe because the ribbon element is thinner). Either way, it seems more sensitive and works geat on a lot of sources whereas the shiny box never quite hit it for me.
The orginal Shinybox 46 series had 2-2.5 micron thick ribbons in them, similar to the Fatheads. The new 46 MX series has slightly thicker ribbons in them. Probably not enough to account for what you're hearing.

The Shinybox is a long (2"?) ribbon. The Fathead is a short ribbon.

That will account for most of the differences you heard. It appears you prefer the sound of the shorter ribbon on the sources that you track.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I decided to cancel the ShinyBox for now since it is 400$ with transformer and these cheaper alternatives seem to be very comparable. All of these listed mics get decent reviews, but the Vinjet doesnt have much talk clamoring about them. I spoke with the Casade rep and he specifically recommended the Vinjet for vocals. Should i not be gearing towards a vocal specific ribbon mic since i just bought a tube mic? I can find lots of great attributes for each mic in the search engines but no one ever directly compares these particular mics with each other.
The Vinjet and the Shinybox 46 will be very similar sounding. The Shinybox MX has a upgraded ribbon element from the original 46 series. I spoke with both the Mr. Cascade and Mr. Shinybox, and I believe your probably getting more hands-on q/a with the Shinybox than with the Cascade.

However, I will probably try one of those Fatheads in the near future, just to get a short ribbon mic for a screaming good price.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
so im assuming you are recommending the mod for the 2500. I actually got one with the British power supply.

I still want a ribbon, and i need to narrow it down between 2 mics. I will probably be using a ribbon more for vocals, perhaps acoustic guitar, and some el gtr. I either want the Fathead or the Vin-Jet. Apparently, the Vin-Jet would be best for vocals but i wonder if it would suit the other applications well that i just mentioned. Does anyone use the Fathead on vocals and like it?
yes i recommend the mod.
only if you feel like using your 2500.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search