The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If DBX 163 is poormans SSL comp, what is the RNC? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

If DBX 163 is poormans SSL comp, what is the RNC?

I've got 2 RNC's that I've used for mix buss.

I've got one dbx 163X and have thought about getting a second to chain together.

Is it worth it to run a final stereo mix through..or just stick to the RNC?

I plan on picking up the Chameleon Labs stereo SSL type comp when it comes out..but in the meantime..

thanks,
poor rich.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

The 163x is a cool little box, but I don't think I'd compare it to an SSL.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've got a pair of the 163x compressors and do think they are pretty cool, though I'm not sure I'd want to run a mix through it. I like them as character/effect compressors. I was recently doing some parallel compressing on the drum mix and the sound of heavily smashed drums through the 163x is quite cool indeed. Also works good on bass. Kinda neat for giving synths some color too. Jim Williams mods these for a reasonable cost and claims to make them into a "poor man's SSL". I've been considering sending one out.
Old 11th September 2007
JDN
Lives for gear

you should be fine with the RNC, it was kinda designed with that in mind...although I never thought much of the supernice mode
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurymantra View Post
I've got a pair of the 163x compressors and do think they are pretty cool, though I'm not sure I'd want to run a mix through it. I like them as character/effect compressors. I was recently doing some parallel compressing on the drum mix and the sound of heavily smashed drums through the 163x is quite cool indeed. Also works good on bass. Kinda neat for giving synths some color too. Jim Williams mods these for a reasonable cost and claims to make them into a "poor man's SSL". I've been considering sending one out.
Dont give it away ... they'll go from 30 dollars to 50 dollars !!!
Old 11th September 2007
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

if the 163 is a poor man's ssl, then the rnc is the poor man's 8200.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If DBX 163 is poormans SSL comp, what is the RNC?
A really nice compressor

Matt
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Nut

This post might make many say 'NO WAY" , BUT I recently did a rock mix for a client and mixed thru a pair of modified DBX 163r x's modified by Jim Williams. I printed the mix and put on the PSP limiter abd sent him a wave file. I then un hooked the 163's and printed a mix with a Smart C1 and sent him a wave file after adding the PSP LIMITER.

I asked him what he liked better as he listened on a pair of genelec 1031's. he picked the modded Jim Williams 163's. I asked why , he said it was more aggressive and had way more attitude suited for the song. After I told him what I used he freaked and said "NO WAY". I said "WAY" it went thru the pair of modded 163x's. I used Zaolla cable on the outs and ins which also gave it some nice clarity.

I have to say that for 2 $50.00 comps and $200.00 mods which is a total of $300.00 for the pair, these little comps are without a doubt a silent gun.

I also did the same shoot out with 3 people in my studio while they were turned around. They all picked their fave comp to be the 163's by Jim Williams. About 4 db of this brings the track forward in your face and not a drop of hiss even with the output turned up full tilt. Well worth $300.00 for the pair
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Technically, an SSL is a "poor man's dbx" since dbx invented and manufactured all the VCA modules that the older SSL stuff is full of. They wrote the book on solid-state VCA compression circuitry.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

so the dbx 163 is the poor man's dbx?
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

how about a dbx is a dbx and you can't afford an ssl
Old 22nd February 2012
I'm reading more and more about these modded 163's, what do the mods entail? or is that a trade secret? haha
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Nut

Jim Williams changes a few parts in there to get higher bandwidth and less noise. All I know is that when I slap these on the mix everyone is floored by what they do. All of my projects are mastered by a top notch guy in Miami with the best credits you could ask for. He's done Clapton., Eagles, Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Kenny Loggins, Shakira, Daddy Yankee, Lenrd Skynerd, Julio Engliasis, Enreqe Engasias and the lst goes forever. I asked him to a/b a few mixes I did with the 163's and the smart C1. He said for him they were equally as good and one was not superior to the other in sonic audio fidelity. he did say the 163's were more aggressive which I think is good for rock mixes.
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
you should be fine with the RNC, it was kinda designed with that in mind...although I never thought much of the supernice mode
I was of the same mindset but about 2 weeks ago I tracked a guitar player with a real erratic strum style as far as volume went. I decided on the RNC to even her out and, in supernice mode, it worked like a charm.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search