The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
re-ribboning vintage b&o mic in europe... where?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

re-ribboning vintage b&o mic in europe... where?

Hi

Considering buying a vintage bang & olufsen ribbon mic but I'm a bit nervous about what to do if it develops a problem with the ribbon since b&o doesnt make ribbon-mics anymore... anybody know a place in europe that could re-ribbon this mic?

Thanks
Thomas
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

I had mine done here last year -

Genuine RCA Microphone Serivce and Restorations since 1952. All work done to exact RCA specifications.

Excellent job - it sounds fantastic and was a very reasonable price.

I couldn't find someone in Europe to do it.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

(not a helpful answer but a great story:
having a gig in Copenhagen some years ago i bought one of the b&o ribbons on the flea market - just because i liked how it looked (ain't that true gearsluttery?). first thing that happened: i gave it to the keyboard player to take it home in his luggage, cause i had another gig the next day. of course: he was paged - already on the plane - and had to open his suitcase with two officers next to him. they thought: if this is not a bomb, what then? ))
back home, i realised that the ribbon was completely destroyed. first idea: i scanned the damaged part, and sent an email to b&o. the very next day i got a really nice email asking for my postal address. guess what? they were so happy that someone still is interested in that mic (from 1955!) especially cause the original developer of the mic was at their office that day, that they sent the original part to me, included a very nice letter. bad part of the story for you: it was the last spare part, sorry!)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search