The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how many keyboard stands were sold in 2006 (US)?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

how many keyboard stands were sold in 2006 (US)?

Ok, a super dumb question, and a big thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer ...

Does anyone have a ballpark figure on the number of keyboard stands sold in the United States in 2006?

I am helping a friend with business plan, and this stat is proving to be a tough one to nail down.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have no idea- but would really like to know what sort of business plan would require this sort of information?
Old 10th September 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

Maybe a plan to sell um, keyboard stands? Just a guess.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I bought two.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

so, a total of 2

OK, so we've got a confirmed 2. No, in all seriousness, I've designed an awesome variation of the common keyboard stand. Over the last couple weeks I have run the design by some hard working, gigging, musicians and they've all loved it and asked to be put on a waiting list to buy the thing once it has been manufactured. My buddy has a lot of experience with patents, and explained that I'd have an expensive application process, with no guarantee that I'd be awarded a patent.

So, I'm trying to figure out how big the market is ... My guess is that most stands are purchased for entry level keyboards, but I have no idea how many are sold yearly. I would put up the schematics here on Gearslutz (I was just about to), but then I realized that by tomorrow some company in China would have them on a boat to LA.

Cheers, and thanks!

John
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Maybe a plan to sell um, keyboard stands? Just a guess.
er.... i was being sarcastic.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Starting from 30000 feet: total US population -> how many percent of that plays music -> that plays keyboard -> that needs a keyboard stand -> that may buy your keyboard stand vs other stands -> that who knows such a keyboard stand exist. A thought process along this line... Put a guessimate percentage in each and you'll at least get a number.

Just an idea. Good luck.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

You might want to enquire of some companies who make keyboard stands as to whether they would be amenable to releasing their gross unit sales for the year.

It may be privileged information, they might not give a rat's ass.

You'll not know unless you ask.
Old 10th September 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Or try to find out how many Guitar Center sold. That'd probably cover the majority of purchases...
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

If the product is innovative enough, it might not matter how many of the old variety are sold in a year.

If the new stand was superior in some way that mattered to me, (sturdier, folds up smaller, opens up faster, changes height easier, holds more axes) I might want to buy it now, without waiting until my present stand breaks or is stolen.

It sounds like your small 'focus group' already feels that way...
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

Agree with JoEQ

I have lots of different stands and I'm always looking for the easiest to set up/tear down, lightest and least expensive stand I can find. I just bought the standtastic stand and I'm about to give it a good gig thrasing to see how it holds up. Show me a better stand and I'll buy it!
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head
Ilove stantastic. No bounce Doubles as a walker after the gig
but takes up too much space in the control room.
I too will buy a better product.
Maybe ask Chuck at Sweetwater about marketing.
Keep your idea off the net though.

g
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

I bought one.

I hope your design kicks ass - because it seems like there's quite a gap in features/quality/price in the stands. A single unit Proline with adjustable height cost me around 70 I believe. If you can keep the price competitive, and the quality/features higher, you might be on to something.

Last edited by Mosby; 11th September 2007 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: must having been typing drunk. Typos all over.
Old 11th September 2007
jdg
Lives for gear

i think i bought two... at least one for sure.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hey guys ... thanks for your feedback. Great motivation to bring this thing to the market. I know I have a disturbingly personal relationship with my stands (wow, really set myself up with that) given that I put 1000s of dollars worth of gear on them daily. I'm working with a guy out in California to build a prototype. You know where I'll debut it first ..!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you make a Keytuiar stand they will come....heh

Good luck.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't show your design off until you have all protective legal aspects in order.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search