The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RNC1773 Mastering Question Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

RNC1773 Mastering Question

(Not sure if this is the official fmr audio forum, but...)

I quit my old band, am re-releasing three of my tunes from that project on an upcoming solo CD...& wanted to re-master them w/ my RNC1773.

First...the method used for original mastering was...for each song I provided my ME w/ stems for each instrument & vocals. He opened those up in WaveLab as a multitrack montage. Each stem/track was under 0dBFS by itself, but the composite level at the stereo bus was always around +6dB. He left the overall levels alone; & mastered using converter to converter saturation (encompassing the transients w/ that method...i.e., no compression/limiting.)

What I would like to do w/ my re-masters is take those same stems...route them out of my DAW (SONAR)...through the RNC in Super Nice Mode...& into WaveLab, recapturing them as 32-Bit FPs. This way...I get some subtle compression on the stereo mix; & I don't bust the ceiling on the recapture (& w/ the float file, I can then contain the over zero transients afterward w/ Elephant or MPL-1 or PL or whatever.)

My question is...for those that use the RNC...is this a plausible method? & is the RNC designed to the job in this way (hitting it w/ a stereo signal above 0dB)?

Thanks,

MoonMix

Dell Dimension 8250 | Windows XP | Intel 850E Motherboard/Chipset | Intel P4 2.53GHz CPU (512 KB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB) | 1024 MB PC1066 RDRAM | Ultra 60GB Primary HD / Single Volume (OS, Apps, Files/Folders) | Maxtor DiamondMax 9+ 80GB Secondary HD / Single Volume (Audio Data only) | nVidia 64MB GEFORCE4 MX420 AGP | Lynx Studio Aurora 8 / AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 DSP Powered Plug-In System | KRK Rockit RP-8 Studio Reference Monitors | SONAR5.0.2 | WaveLab 5

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search