The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peluso VTB - Avalon 737 - Neve Portico 5012 (Please Help :) Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Peluso VTB - Avalon 737 - Neve Portico 5012 (Please Help :)

Hi Folks,

I'll just jump straight into it. I'm a UK based audio *experimentalist* (haha) who gets to travel to the states alot, this month being one of those times.

I've done some work to my project setup - Trak2, Genelec 8040's, Carillion Workstation etc.
I feel these are all solid pieces but feel my input chain lacks - RE-20, KSM44, K2 (into) Trak2 Preamps.

I do alot of Hip Hop & John Mayer Type vocals. Now I realise these are quite varied styles. What I am looking for is a chain "smooth" enough to handle the transition.

The Peluso is almost a definate for myself as Tony & others have sited it is fondly reminiscent of a C800G, which is pretty much a staple I feel will translate my want well. (although please feel free to throw other suggestions out, my budget for the microphone side will be $2 000)

The challenge comes within the preamp - either an Avalon 737 or a Neve Portico 5012. Ideally I would want a 1073 & that would (IMO) set me up for a very versatile (& popular) vocal chain.
The Avalon I believe to be a great piece, countless hits (especially in the urban realm) but I am not sure what qualities it has, I have heard the term "stacking" thrown around in its pressence & am yet to receive an explanation. Also I have heard the compressor is a thing of taste (although Andre Young seems to work fine with them).

On the reverse side I have heard very little of the Portico. I do not require DI so the 5012 would be my preferred model. As it is a Rupert Neve piece I assume it will portray the characteristics one expects from a Neve. But with no experience on it, nor with access to a "try before buy" retailer my option is to ask here.

Alternately - a 3rd party branded 1073 such as the vintechs?

If anyone could shed some light it would be much appreciated as all help is thank you all once again.

All the best,

DTS.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Portico has much more balls than Avalon.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I own Both pres.
Portico 5012 has more "balls"(low mid region). Different to Avalon 737sp wich is a clean pre.
If you´re trying to sound like C800g, you must check Avalon.You have eq on Avalon. It really shines on "air" eq department. Anyway if you want to obtain beefer sounds with Avalon 737sp , you can use eq.
Think that you´ll obtain 2 portico 5012 pres for less than money than Avalon. If you only need 1 pre, you can try portico 5032 1 pre +eq.

Good luck.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

We've got a 737 and a 5012. We use the pre and EQ from the 737 plenty but, especially for vocals, the 5012 is the clear winner in my opinion.
Old 5th January 2008
Lives for gear

Check It out!!!!!!!

Tube and Solid stae preamps are extremely different and the tube shoulb be used very carefully. Tube is like a spotlight, the more tube gain you turn up the more the sound extends in a pyramid in front of your face. Reda the link i posted

Newsletter

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search