The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tempo change throughout song or rewrite?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Tempo change throughout song or rewrite?

Hey all

I'm working on an R n' B ballad. The tempo feels good in the verse and pre, but feels sluggish in the chorus, even when I add more percussion.

I was wondering what's the best thing to do - tempo change the chorus or rewrite the chorus lyrics so their rhythm fits better with the feel?

Is tempo changing the done thing?

Ta

Shaun
Old 10th September 2007

Yeah, try a tempo map for the whole song:

If you're tracking live musicians,( i.e. not drum loop or sequences) make sure the click is nice and groovy, i.e. don't quantise it too rigidly, or leave some 8th or quarter notes notes out.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Try doing a ska version- tempo changes work great in ska.
Old 10th September 2007

The A tempo/ B tempo thing goes back, what? 500 years?

-tINY

Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

if it feels too sluggish but only in the chorus, something about the arrangement is off. the rhythm/delivery of the vocals, the swing (more swing gives the tempo a perceived push), the bassline, the absence of tension in chords... it could be anything.

any chance of a clip to hear what's actually going on?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

if your sequencing, it may end up slightly ackward if suddenly the chorus picks up in tempo, and then goes back, with a live band its easier to pull off pushes and what not, sounds a bit more natural.

if trying to either syncopate the rythm a bit, or vocals or faster lines in that part doesn't help, try picking up the tempo overall a bit, or change the way you phrase it, maybe a happy medium overall is the best solotuion, depending on how your working.

not saying it won't work, but its easier for orchestral stuff and other non rythm driven stuff to make sound more natural with tempo increasesd when sequencing, try it and if it doesn't work, just rework the song a bit. my 2 cents
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Sure UBK - I'm still writing the lyrics, so I'll get a full guide vox down ASAP and post a clip.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search