The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need 8 channels of optical i/o ...what to get Digital Converters
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

I need 8 channels of optical i/o ...what to get

So this is my situation. I am running a Black Lion 002 all connected to the gear through a tt bay. I have recently aquired 8 channels of outboard eq that I really love and want to incorporate them into my rig without adding more patch points to the patchbay. So my solution is to buy some sort of adat compatible interface that would work as a stand alone I/O converter. So that being said, ideally I would go with an Apogee or an Aurora however at the moment this is not financially possible. So what are your suggestions MOTU RME M-AUDIO anything? I do not need preamps however this seems unavoidable. I just want the best budget ($1000 and under) solution to this so I can finish this project and then go about completely rebuilding the studio. Ok thanks dooders.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

The RME or "Nuendo" ADI-8s are a great bargin.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

Yeah the RME may be the way to go. Ultimately however I would like something that could double as an interface for my laptop or something later on. So I guess something that has firewire capability as well. I think I may be asking for too much out of one budget piece maybe.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I would suggest the Behringer ADA8000 if you're really on a budget, but mine just died today so stay away from that one.

I'd go with the RME.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzahands View Post
Yeah the RME may be the way to go. Ultimately however I would like something that could double as an interface for my laptop or something later on. So I guess something that has firewire capability as well. I think I may be asking for too much out of one budget piece maybe.
TC Electronics Konnekt X32

http://www.sweetwater.com/c958--TC_E...nic--Patchbays
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryC View Post
Well as rad as that thing seems. I need 8 actual analog ins and outs in order to plug into and out of the eqs. Would a Fireface 800 fit the bill ? It has everyhting I need but will it stand alone as simply a converter ?
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd spend the extra money and look for a used Apogee Rosetta 800. I just got one for $1800 including two mogami 8 ch snakes. Your sound quality will benefit greatly. If you're monitoring through the 002 the Rosetta will be night and day.
Old 13th September 2007
I agree with Bierce85, save up and get the Apogee Rosetta.

A/D conversion is not the place to save money.
Please ignore the behringer ADA8000!
Old 13th September 2007
Creamware A16 Ultra - $850.00 retail
16-Channel AD/DA Converter
1/4" to ADAT Light pipe
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
Creamware A16 Ultra - $850.00 retail
16-Channel AD/DA Converter
1/4" to ADAT Light pipe
I've been thinking about getting one of these. Are you using it and how is the conversion?
Old 14th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzovAge View Post
I've been thinking about getting one of these. Are you using it and how is the conversion?

i am currently using 2 ada8000's & a creamware project card. i am picking up a16ultra next check. i've been using the creamware project card for several years now & the onboard converters sound great. i understand the a16 ultra is the same converters in multichannel adat rack form. theres a few threads around here. to get a significant improvement in quality you are looking @ paying about 20x more per channel.

Creamware vs. Lucid vs. others....
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
i am currently using 2 ada8000's & a creamware project card. i am picking up a16ultra next check. i've been using the creamware project card for several years now & the onboard converters sound great. i understand the a16 ultra is the same converters in multichannel adat rack form. theres a few threads around here. to get a significant improvement in quality you are looking @ paying about 20x more per channel.

Creamware vs. Lucid vs. others....

Stevil, did you get the A16 ultra ?
Old 19th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by minus-sounds.com View Post
Stevil, did you get the A16 ultra ?
no FAIL.
i got distracted by acoustic treatment, rearranging my setup & guitar crap. i did get a Lucid GENx192 word clock for the ADA8000's though. there is an audible difference. alone the tracks seem more dense & grainy, with the clock things seem more loose & 3 dimensional. if that makes any sense at all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search