The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best sounding rock songs Dynamics Plugins
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Maniac

DOH! ya just beat me to it, i was gonna mention

Big Wreak - i prefer "In Loving Memory Of..."
Tool's Aenima
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (and if you want a 'dirtier' sound go for The Great Southern Trendkill
i've always been a fan of Alice In Chains "dirt"
if you wan't a more 'slick' hard sound check out Fear Factory's "Obsolete"....put that album on a good car system and the low end is in a catagory of it's own as far as rock goes.
now this one isn't the most pleasing to the ears, but Sepultura's "Roots" has a very organic sound that's just plain dirty (kinda similar to pantera's GST and Korn's debut)
which brings me to Korn, i'm a ex-fan and Life Is Peachy is still one of the heaviest albums i've ever heard.
Type O Negative's "World Comming Down" is very slick for type-o, but the sound is great.
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's "Grand Opening and Closing" is just plain sick with the layering.

sorry to only name albums, but you'll get the 'feel of the sound on any of them.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear
BITCH (The Rolling Stones-Sticky Fingers)
Great track-one of the best!

Peace,
T.
Old 2nd June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
Anything from Boston's first album. Pedestrian, maybe. However, it is an achievement only everyone on Gearslutz could aspire to reach. Yes, I know who hangs here.
Boston and primarily that genius, Tom Sholz, are responsible for the modern huge, glassy, guitar-oriented sound. Rock engineering history is demarcated as before-Boston, after-Boston. And to think these guys did some of this stuff in their basement, I think.
Old 2nd June 2012
Gear Nut

Boston

Agreed. It's funny how little respect Scholz gets on here, the guy examplifies gearslut - merging of music and technology- great songs, great sounds and production, not to mention UNIQUE and he did it in his basement with a cheap yamaha guitar and some pretty run of the mill mics. Pretty damm cool and inspirational.
Old 2nd June 2012
Lives for gear
I remember when Nirvana came out it was shocking how much they sounded like "Way Down" by Catherine Wheel. Kurt was listening to that and the Smithereens which you can hear.
Old 2nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Yup - Boston/Tom Sholz, hands down. I remember reading an interview of Tom Sholz in GP shortly after that premier album shattered all expectations. That album note for note was to be nothing more than a 'good sounding demo', and Sholz built a device that would allow him to play thru his amp at high gain levels but drop the Db levels down before hitting the speakers. This was just out of nesescity so as to not disturb neighbors/play & record late at night...not for a sonic effect. Reading that blew me away because it sounded so HUGE! A year or so later out comes the Sholz Power Soak - what?!? A bunch of wire wound power resistors wired in series and a rotary switch?? $100?!? That tone came out of this?? Incredible.

And hey: How many picks did you all groove to death doing that string slide technique that Sholz was famous for?? That & Billy Gibbons' pick/thumb harmonic technique (although probably not his originally he made it popular)are fixed in my guitar playing time line as game changers. EVH...that's was a different universe altogether

Last edited by Analok; 2nd June 2012 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: added content
Old 5th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Originally Posted by harry_seldon View Post
How many other albums from the 70's still rival the best productions of today

a great many, actually.

gregoire
del
ubk
How about The Captain and Me by The Doobie Brothers? Phenomenal sound for 1972. Studio recording made a quantum leap by the early 70's.
Old 2nd August 2012
Relient Ks "Forget and Not Slow Down" could restore you older guys faith in modern music.
Green Day "American Idiot"
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Live - Throwing Copper
Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet
Green Day - American Idiot
Super Furry Animals - (almost any of their records)
Nightwish - Poet and the Pendulum
Old 2nd August 2012
Gear Head

Got a lot of 'em but for a quick answer I would like to add some Swedish albums:

Rock

Hardcore Superstar - Thank You (for letting us be ourselves)
Hardcore Superstar - Bad Sneakers and a Pina Colada
Pretty *****s - Teens of USA
Electric Boys - Freewheelin', and Groovus Maximus

More metalish though:
Raised Fist - Sound of the Republic
The Weakening - Chains of Plato (Home-recorded I believe)
Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama
The Haunted - Revolver, Versus and The Dead Eye.
Bring Me the Horizon - There's a Hell Believe Me I've Seen it (recorded in Gothenburg)
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Wolfmother - Woman

Flaming Lips - The Wizard Turns On

QOTSA - No One Knows

Lots of RATM

Billy Squier - The Stroke, My Kinda Lover
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

SUPERTRAMP - 'Crisis What Crisis' + 'Crime of Century' ... amazing sound .. Ken Scott as his best. For me they blew away everything else at the time .. some Zep records were close.
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Guru

They are to many out there to just name a few, I do like Chris Botti live CD with Boston Pops.
Diana Krall Live in Rio.

It's funny I mentioned a couple live CDs and most always I hate live recordings.

Otherwise I would have to dig way back in the 70-80s like "In Through The Out Door" Zeppelin. and most all STP CDs.
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Nut

Boston debut. My God. How's that even possible? Where's the mud?

Steely Dan: those are the sound of drums. I want that.
Old 10th March 2013
Keeping it within the last twenty years:

Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Warped"
Fugazi - Red Medicine, End Hits, and The Argument
The Constantines - Shine a Light
PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
Radiohead - OK Computer
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Chavez - Ride the Fader
Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow
Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
Ted Leo - Hearts of Oak
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People

Can't think of much recent stuff beyond that, though every White Stripes record sounds amazing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search