The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Backing up projects/audio Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Backing up projects/audio

I am trying to decide between using an external harddrive to backup, or just using my 2gig flash drive. I know that I will probably run out of space with my 2 gig flash drive at some point, but I work slow and dont use much recorded audio.

which is more dependable these days? flash or disk drives?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Flash drives have no moving parts to fail, so in that respect they're more reliable.
Old 9th September 2007
Deleted 86c3d96
More important than the media to back up to; hard drive, flash drive, tape, floppy disks, clay tablets, is an entire disaster recovery plan for you music studio. Not just to simply backup a few files, but to recover from any bad situation which may arise. Where are your installs, the licenses, extra insurance riders on your equipment, etc? Have you created a mirror of a pristine install of your OS and installed applications with all your settings? Have you tested the recovery plan?

More limited to your initial question. I would consider an inexpensive back up program which backs up as frequently as you feel is needed, and to have multiple copies, including off site copies, especially in a safe deposit box, or even at a friend's house.

EMC bought Dantz some time back, and they have a program called Retrospect that is fine for the smaller data installations. I think it runs anywhere from 40 to 100 dollars depending on the flavor of the software.

Personally, I think any strategy should include historical copies so you can go back to previous versions from a specific days work; even multiple layers of backups for short term and long term. Have a hard drive for short term recovery, and tape (probably a DAT tape, not the same as audio DAT) for long term recovery.

This is a very important topic that does not usually get addressed until some very serious disaster; often times when the only copy is on a failed hard drive where recovery costs can run several thousand dollars. Trust me, it happens, and people pay the money. Of course, people constantly accidentally overwrite data that can never be recovered. Who's next?

Last edited by Deleted 86c3d96; 9th September 2007 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Parrot jumped on keyboard
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Get a DVD burner. They are cheap, so are DVDs. If you are only talking about a couple of gigs, back up a couple times a week. Believe me, less than a dollar a week is totally worth the security of good back ups.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Agreed, DVD backups work great for me. External Hard drive backups are also good but also create the danger of backing up in the wrong direction... i.e. copying the info form the backup drive over the actual material, thus killing the most recent version.

I like Nero's "backitup". You can point the application at a folder even bigger than what will fit on a DVD and it will automatically split it into DVD sized chunks.

For end of day backups I generally do the External HD backups and take it with me.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

i back up song projects to DVD..(plus store dvd off site.)
as well as hard drives and also usb.
i'm paranoid bout backing up.
even store back ups at me mums ...lol.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search