The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So I bought A Neumann u87 Condenser Microphones
Old 9th September 2007
Here for the gear

So I bought A Neumann u87

Ok, I got this u87, and i have absolutely no idea what the two controls on the back that arnt the pattern changer do. Someone please explain this to me, and explain what they are for.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Pad (attenuation)
High pass (low cut)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

The little angled thingy is a bass rolloff - reduces rumble and helps with singers who don't know how to use proximity bass boost to good effect.

the other thing is a -10db attenuation. Use it when working with high sound pressure levels (spl) to avoid distortion.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Man, kinda ballsy paying over 2500 bucks for a mic without knowing what kind of features you're getting. Congrats on the purchase though, first Neumann?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ronan beat me too it. thumbsup
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Man, kinda ballsy paying over 2500 bucks for a mic without knowing what kind of features you're getting. Congrats on the purchase though, first Neumann?

+ 1

the switches are about as standard as they get for any mic, never mind Neumann, so the fact that someone who doesn't have clue buys one of these for big dollahs shows money will often come before talent or experience.yikes
Old 9th September 2007
Motown legend

The high pass is at 200. With the switch off it's at 40 unless somebody removed it internally at some point.

If it's an older US mike, you should check to make sure the output pad on the circuit board is bypassed and the impedance has been re strapped to 200 Ohms for use with modern mike preamps.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
+ 1

the switches are about as standard as they get for any mic, never mind Neumann, so the fact that someone who doesn't have clue buys one of these for big dollahs shows money will often come before talent or experience.yikes
Maybe so, but the OP made a great purchase of a classic mic that will serve him well as long as he/she is recording. I think its great that while the OP is learning they will not have be fighting all the bad artifacts of some of the insanely bad LDCs out there. A U87 into a good pre and the world is your oyster.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Maybe so, but the OP made a great purchase of a classic mic that will serve him well as long as he/she is recording. I think its great that while the OP is learning they will not have be fighting all the bad artifacts of some of the insanely bad LDCs out there. A U87 into a good pre and the world is your oyster.

You're right. Hard to mess up on a purchase of a mic with the kind of rep the u87 has. My point was more for future reference, so the op can avoid a potential mistake and spend a lot of money on something they didn't need maybe. Just be sure to research what you buy so you can be totally informed going into the purchase.
Old 9th September 2007
Hmmmm... more than a little madness buying something you have no idea how it works.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

Reminds me of Jessica Simpson's TV commercial, " I don't know what it is, but I want it!"
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

That's like buying a Ferrari and asking what the pedals and the steering wheel are for.

(P.S. I'm just jealous because I can't afford a U87)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Whats with some people saying that he doesn't know how to use it? Its a freakin microphone! I'm sure he knows to stick it in front of whatever he wants to record. As for the pad and filter, I guess thats a bonus for him. At least he is learning on really top notch gear. I hope more people were like him, and not waste money on a bunch of low end stuff when you can save and get one or two really high end things. But hey, thats whats going to seperate his recordings from the dudes using a bunch of low end mics, going into a low end pre, to a low end compressor to a low end converter and then spending weeks eqing it.
Now, if he bought a summing buss and didn't know what to do with it, that would be a different story. redfield, hats off to you for chosing one really good thing, rather than a bunch of "training gear". Now go experiment with that mic!
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I bought a U87 because every time I went into the studio, my ex-singer used one....also, in pretty much every production article, Engineers and producers swear by them.....I got a late 70's model for 1500$ from a studio in Toronto....One of my best purchases. I never use the pad or roll off....and it sounds great.
Old 10th September 2007
Motown legend

An 87 is a lot like a 57. If you spend an hour shooting it out with other mikes you may find something better but you'll undoubtedly find that a lot of things sound worse. Where it really shines is when you don't have the time to screw around. Drop it in the mix, add a touch of eq. and it'll almost always sound above average.
Old 10th September 2007
Mur
Here for the gear

Yep, can't go wrong with an 87.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

A 87 is not a Ferrari. It is more like a 300-series BMW.

Harrie
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Don't forget to use phantom power. (<= this is a tip, don't be insulted if this is something you do know already)

Nice mic indeed
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

U87

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
I bought a U87 because every time I went into the studio, my ex-singer used one....also, in pretty much every production article, Engineers and producers swear by them.....I got a late 70's model for 1500$ from a studio in Toronto....One of my best purchases. I never use the pad or roll off....and it sounds great.
Hey If you want to get the ultimate vocal sound, use the 87 in omni. Its killer... + recapp the 2 electrolitics inside...
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

I thought those switches turned on the flux capacitor and the time circuits. I'll know better next time.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froombosch View Post

Harrie
You could do a lot worse.

-R
Attached Thumbnails
So I bought A Neumann u87-300-series.jpg  
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froombosch View Post

Harrie
I would have said 7-series. There are better mics than the U87, but not many.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Like no-one on GS ever bought anything based on heresay.
And in this particular case, the OP could do much worse than a 87
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post

-R
That looks like south Colorado.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scking View Post
That looks like south Colorado.
Owens River Valley in CA, Sierras in the background.

-R
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scking View Post
I would have said 7-series. There are better mics than the U87, but not many.
There are a lot of those out there. a 47, 251, c-12 etcetcetc.

Those are the austin martins, ferraris and lambourghinis...

Harrie
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post

-R
I know... I do....

lol

Harrie
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
+ 1

Do you know what his talent and /or experience is? If not, what you should really be worried about is you being too harsh and impatient with a simple question and you making assumptions! Using your logic, if I, as you have, jump to a conclusion only predicated on a post not knowing the poster, I could conclude that you are an arrogant jerk.....am I right? You could have avoided being mean spirited and just "moved along" without having to post your non constructive viewpoint about talent and experience.......
To quote you "yikes"!
Old 10th September 2007
Stupid questions are stupid questions--whatever your background or experience.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Stupid questions are stupid questions--whatever your background or experience.

Does your logic also apply to stupid/narrow minded comments? Whatever the background or experience?.......remember, even Rick Rubin or John Lennon or whoever anyone at GS holds in esteem, had to start somewhere..............peace?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search