The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So I bought A Neumann u87 Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2007
Put it this way:

You get a call from someone who wants to intern at your studio. When he knocks on the door, you answer. He pulls a Neumann U-87 out of his back pocket, and says,

"I just got one of these... but I don't know what the switches on the back do. Can you tell me?"

Case closed????
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froombosch View Post
There are a lot of those out there. a 47, 251, c-12 etcetcetc.

Those are the austin martins, ferraris and lambourghinis...

Harrie
Exactly.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Put it this way:

You get a call from someone who wants to intern at your studio. When he knocks on the door, you answer. He pulls a Neumann U-87 out of his back pocket, and says,

"I just got one of these... but I don't know what the switches on the back do. Can you tell me?"

Case closed????
Case closed? For you I guess....for me..I have learned that life is full of surprises and if you elect to judge a book by it's cover, that's entirely your decision. Sorry for the cliches, but "case closed" elicited that response. In my case, I am so thankful that most artists who I was lucky enough to work with, made a decision to hire me predicated on more than the "narrow minded" posts exhibited on this thread.............."case always open"?......peace.......
Old 10th September 2007
Aye, peace... I sure don't want to come across as harsh. But then... some people... it's not their "fault," really. But some people are idiots. That's just true, sad as it is to have to confront it.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey Joel, still loving the Sputnik? Just curious.

PC
Old 10th September 2007
Yes... wait... is this a trick question?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

No trick. I am thinking about getting one for my singer buddy who sounds good on a U87, can't afford an 87. Thanks-

Sorry fo thread drift--

PC
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

yes i was a little harsh but c'mon, this was 101 stuff. the symbol isn't specific to mics and can be found on several eq's and plugins so is a good indicator i think . I shouldn't assume but I do assume that if you can drop $2500 on a mic, you should at least know what -10db actually means. sort of given to anyone thats at least completed recording 101 and learned how to turn their gear on? rtfm for crying out loud or call the guy that sold you the thing. if the guy is excited about buying a great mic like the 87 than just say so instead of telling people he bought it with a dumb question like that.

sure its great to start with a great mic and the more people that can do this the better and it also applies to decent instruments for newbies too but whats next, the guy has enough money to buy a r-121 to go with his fancy 87 and posts asking why it crackles,mutes, pops or simply hasn't worked after he blew into it setting up levels the first time he used it? rtfm. you come to board like this with all the pro, semi pro and experienced hobbyists around here asking stupid questions your not going to like all your replies. like that guy replied in the other stupid U87 thread about "warming up the phantom supply" - "sir....step away from the microphone"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search