The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Subwoofer for Genelec 1029A Studio Monitors
Old 9th September 2007
Subwoofer for Genelec 1029A

Hello!
I have the Genelec 1029A. They don't have much below 70Hz. I might like to have a sub for them.
I start pushing bass with my EQ at 100Hz going down. Things sound good and maybe I'll find out that I prefer to keep on doing that and keep the XO point lower. On the other hand it might be that the XO point will be as high as 100Hz.

I have no problem building stuff, and I do have a good amp for the sub, but not a quality XO. So if I build the box I'll have to buy a plate amp of good quality or maybe an XO unit. I don't know if it's worth the effort for the money saved, if at all. I read good things about the Hsu subs but they are not available in Israel (delivery is very expensive) and go up to 90Hz (can probably live with #2 but #1 is bothersome..).

I need the sub to be very tight, to work good (proper dynamics) at low and maybe very low levels. Doesn't have to be really loud, nor to extend really low. If the gens could have go down to 50Hz I would probably not get a sub, but 70Hz is a bit too high in order to get a proper perspective on music, although they say you can get used to about anything... But they don't say how hard it is :-)
35Hz extension is fine.

But the issue here is that although I can't put my fingers on it exactly, the gens have something in the bass reproduction that is different. I like it and it seems to translate well, and it probably has to do with the dynamic behaviour of the woofer. That is why I said that I might keep using the EQ, and to keep the 1029A's woofer going as low as possible. But only experience will tell.
Anyway, the sub has to match the gens, and it might not be as easy as I wish, I suspect. Any opinions and perspectives from experienced 1029A users are very welcome.

Thanks
Adam
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I use 1030's with a sub (a Hafler 10" here, and a Blue Sky 12" in the US). I wouldn't worry too much about which sub you buy, as long as it has a crossover to tune it to where your 1029's leave off. Some subs have an HP filter on the signal that "passes through" to you monitors, which can be useful, but I just let my 1030's do their natural low-end rolloff thing and have the sub pick up where they leave off.

FWIW, I don't like the 1031's - even though they have more bass than the 1030's, they sound cloudy and tubby down there due to the woofer size (to my ears). A friend mixes on 1029's and I find they have NO bass at all. My 1030's, while laking the fundamental frequencies of bass and kick drum, much more "even" and "flat" - no humps in the low end on their own.

Speakers aren't flat, and neither are ears - do whatever sounds good. TLA is reported to use a cheap-ass $100 sub he bout at the hi-fi store.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a pair of 1030s and use a 7060 sub. I agree with juniorhifikit.

Not sure what your budget is by why don't you just find a used Genelec 1091 sub?
I would think they'd be pretty reasonable these days and that's the sub that Genelec matched up with the 1029s.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I got a 1091 for sale
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I've got 1030s too. I picked up a second hand adam sub p - as prev posts say it doesnt matter too much which make since you can tune the crossover. One thing you'll notice is that hooking up a sub actually makes the monitors sound better in the mids, I think because they arent straining so much to put out lower freqs?
Old 9th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
A friend mixes on 1029's and I find they have NO bass at all.
I push the bass with my EQ and although some will say it ain't a "proper way" to do it, I can say that although it doesn't have a big, low bass, and even the ANF-10 does a lot better, the bass is way ahead more accurate then many other monitors and I'm quite fond of the rolloff. I don't intend to use the subs most of the time. You also find lots of engineers don't use subs for the NS-10. The bass behaviour at my current state with the 1029A is that It always differs the good from the bad mixes, and in fact, the 1029A are the most cruel, unforgiving monitors I've heard. Even after adding bass the sound is definetly clearer the the ANF-10 or A7 in the midrange, and the Adams aren't bad monitors, they are great monitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
why don't you just find a used Genelec 1091 sub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
I got a 1091 for sale
I never read a positive revew of the 1091, that's the thing.. And the Hsu is offered at very low price, if I decideI agree to have something from abroad...
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I loved the combo of the 1029 and the 1091

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search