The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Digital Pach Bay? Lynx or RME? Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Best Digital Pach Bay? Lynx or RME?

I need to build a digital patch-bay (matrix mixer) on a PCI-Express Mac, and I'm wondering which would be better, a few Lynx AES-16 (PCI-Express version to be released soon), or the RME AES-32e system.

In reading the RME docs, it seems a documented use-case is it's anything-to-anything routing. But the Lynx AES-16 doesn't seem to have that documented (can it do it)?

Specifically, I'm wondering if either of these (or something else?) have these qualities:
Can route one input to multiple outputs?
Can save mixer states?
Can do good sample rate conversion?
Can expand to at least 32 Stereo I/O?
Can do 24/96?

Thanks!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm a lot more familiar with the Lynx AES16 because i have one:

Can route one input to multiple outputs?
Lynx AES16 : yes
RME AES32 : probably but not sure

Can save mixer states?
RME AES32 : probably but not sure

Can do good sample rate conversion?
Lynx AES16 : only with the SRC model (limited number of channels too)
RME AES32 : don't know

Can expand to at least 32 Stereo I/O?
Lynx AES16 : yes with two cards
RME AES32 : yes with two cards

Can do 24/96?
RME AES32 : yes

The Lynx Mixer software used to be limited to only 4 sources per output channel but this year it was updated to offer as many as 22 sources per output channel, scalled depending on sample rate used (22 available at 44.1 down to 4 available at 192) I believe that the RME mixer is a little more versitile from what I have read.

All that said . . . . for someone who needs the ultimate in routing flexibility, zero latency monitoring and multiple headphone mixes with effects, I'd suggest checking out the SSL Alpha-Link/Soundscape Mixpander combo! I don't think they've announced a PCIe version yet though. I haven't used it but it I was starting over today I'd most likely go with it.
SSL
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

The SSL Mixpander looks interesting, but sadly they don't offer it in PCIe, and it doesn't appear to be Mac compatible.

I didn't know that the Lynx mixer could now do all the point-to-point patchbay style routing. I downloaded a manual, and it sounded like they had a few bus's (some mix bus, and a 'record' bus), and didn't come across as being as flexible as I need (really a giant patch bay/matrix mixer. Thanks for giving me the update that it is possible with the Lynx card.

Do they have any on-line documentation on how it works?

P
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search