The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Plpareq EQ vs. Duende EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
Plpareq EQ vs. Duende EQ

I was considering purchasing Duende ($1500) when I recently discovered Plpareq ($1000 for ten band $150 for 3 band). I downloaded the demo of Plpareq and was very impressed at how well it retained the full integrity of the original track even with extreme tweaking. I have not yet heard the duende. Also I would get the 3 band Plpareq which would cost only $150 and by testing the demo it seems I can run as many of them on one track as I want. So I see the only possible advantage of getting the 10 band is to save on cpu usage and slight convienience of having all bands in one window instead of looking at multiple windows (not worth 7 times the price IMO). Also it seems each instance of the plug in only took up about 1.5% cpu usage (not bad at all). So I guess the question is, is the duende eq worth $1500 when I can get and use Plpareq for exactly 10 times less? (I am only intersted in eq right now not the stereo bus compressor, etc...)
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think if you scan through the threads on page one, alone, you'll see the commentary on the Duende.

I'll say it again...it is, hands down, the absolute best software EQ I've ever heard or used. It rivals many high-quality outboards. It is the only ITB EQ that I've ever been able to get the 'outboard' sound from. There really is something about it. It's not necessarily the character that it imparts (which is TRUE SSL...remember, the Duende is not an 'emulation', it is the real algorithm that SSL used on their dig. console). The chracter is great, but the weird thing about it is how 'real' it sounds.

I've used, literally hundreds of EQ plug-ins. None of them have had the extra 'something' that hardware EQs have, until i got a Duende. Drumstrip and the compressor will blow you away too!

Where are you seeing them for $1500? Is that used? I am in the market for a second one, now that their new drivers support chaining. That is how much I believe in it...I'm ready to drop the 2nd $1800 + $400 (Drumstrip) for a 2nd unit!

I'll demo the Plpareq today and let you know how I think they compare.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

never even heard of the Plpareq i gues i need to get out more
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
Awesome can't wait to hear your response. I have read a lot on the mastering forums praising the Plpareq as being one of the best if not the best eq for mastering so I don't see why it can't be equally as good for mixing. I am willing to dish out the $1500 for Duende if it is really as good as people say but not if I can get equal or even better results with Plpareq. If you could most some samples of your comparisons that would be awesome. Sweetwater sells duende for $1495. Here is the link

Solid State Logic Duende | Sweetwater.com
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

As it turns out, you're attempting to compare apples and oranges, in 2 ways.

A. PLParEQ is a precision, parametric EQ. It is a very neat tool with a ton of options and flexibility. Would be decent for very surgical boosts and cuts (hence the bent towards mastering.

B. The Duende is a 'classic' channel strip format. Not high precision and intended for a completely different purpose.

My opinion:

The PLParEQ is not a bad plugin. Extremely flexible and configurable (about the best I've ever seen, in terms of flexibility). The sound is not bad, but nothing that I, personally was very excited about. It sounded like a quality, plug-in EQ.

It actually acted a little 'flakey' in SONAR, for me. The first time i tried to load it, it made SONAR freeze. That NEVER happens for me. I think it has something to do with the demo mode, though. It froze on the demo count-down box.

Once it did load, the first time i started using it, it ketp distorting and making the audio engine turn off. Adfter i removed it from the insert block and re-applied it one more time, it seemed to behave a little better.

In my opinion, you can find another, 10 band parametric out there (or similare...perhaps a little less flexible) for FAAAR less money! The URS N12 and A10 can BOTH be bought for half of what the PLParEQ costs. Thisew 2 URS EQs are extremely flexible and useful tools. Best of all, they sound great! Actually, IMO they have a better character to their sound than the PLParEQ, but that is subjective.

NOW, as for the Duende, the sound, character and feel of the PLParEQ are not even close to the same league as the Duende. While I still believe we are comparing apples to oranges in terms of functionality, the PLParEQ still sounds like a plug-in EQ to me. The Duende does not.

Also, you simply can not discount the compressor or Drumstrip from the Duende. They are also amazing. Personally, Drumstrip has been revolutionary...for me.

Anyhow, this is all just my opinion. I think that PLParEQ would be a great addition to a plug-in arsenal IF it was $250. I could never see paying much more than that for it.....maybe $300. Once again...only my opinion.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've got the plpar eq3 and the sydec ssl plugin. You could get both and be good. They're totally different. Never heard the duende. LOVE the plpar. Sounds great.
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthe View Post
As it turns out, you're attempting to compare apples and oranges, in 2 ways.

A. PLParEQ is a precision, parametric EQ. It is a very neat tool with a ton of options and flexibility. Would be decent for very surgical boosts and cuts (hence the bent towards mastering.

B. The Duende is a 'classic' channel strip format. Not high precision and intended for a completely different purpose.

My opinion:

The PLParEQ is not a bad plugin. Extremely flexible and configurable (about the best I've ever seen, in terms of flexibility). The sound is not bad, but nothing that I, personally was very excited about. It sounded like a quality, plug-in EQ.

It actually acted a little 'flakey' in SONAR, for me. The first time i tried to load it, it made SONAR freeze. That NEVER happens for me. I think it has something to do with the demo mode, though. It froze on the demo count-down box.

Once it did load, the first time i started using it, it ketp distorting and making the audio engine turn off. Adfter i removed it from the insert block and re-applied it one more time, it seemed to behave a little better.

In my opinion, you can find another, 10 band parametric out there (or similare...perhaps a little less flexible) for FAAAR less money! The URS N12 and A10 can BOTH be bought for half of what the PLParEQ costs. Thisew 2 URS EQs are extremely flexible and useful tools. Best of all, they sound great! Actually, IMO they have a better character to their sound than the PLParEQ, but that is subjective.

NOW, as for the Duende, the sound, character and feel of the PLParEQ are not even close to the same league as the Duende. While I still believe we are comparing apples to oranges in terms of functionality, the PLParEQ still sounds like a plug-in EQ to me. The Duende does not.

Also, you simply can not discount the compressor or Drumstrip from the Duende. They are also amazing. Personally, Drumstrip has been revolutionary...for me.

Anyhow, this is all just my opinion. I think that PLParEQ would be a great addition to a plug-in arsenal IF it was $250. I could never see paying much more than that for it.....maybe $300. Once again...only my opinion.
That is one of the most biased posts I have ever read, justified with 'Just my opinion.' $250, get real. Saying a comparison between between the PlparEQ & Duende EQ is like comparing apples and oranges, yet at the same time, suggesting the URS N12 & A10 are somehow alternatives.
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerone View Post
That is one of the most biased posts I have ever read, justified with 'Just my opinion.' $250, get real. Saying a comparison between between the PlparEQ & Duende EQ is like comparing apples and oranges, yet at the same time, suggesting the URS N12 & A10 are somehow alternatives.
Why biased???

Its his opinion as he states a number of times..biased how?-he's used both...and he's offering an *opinion*.

Biased towards what he likes??..well..er..isn't that the nature of an opinion???
Old 26th September 2009
Lives for gear

Clearly it is though. He's making suggestions, then justifying it with something neutral, then making a comparison and finally contradicting the point he originally made before. He's obviously purchased the Duende, and is trying to influence the ops purchase (which is what everyone does to some extent I guess). I can't remember the psychological term, but it's how a bad salesman works. A customer walks into a hi-fi shop, tells the assistant he's seen a hi-fi on display that he likes the look of. He tells the guy that he is considering purchasing it. The salesman advises him against it, pointing to one that he believes sounds better (understandably of course) but is less aesthetically pleasing the the customer. The customer then becomes confused and disheartened, and leaves without making a purchase. Had the salesman looked further into the question, and seen that the customer was looking (not listening) for a hi-fi that was visually appealing, he would have directed him to a hi-fi that hopefully sounded better than the one the customer chose, but also one that had the visual appeal he was looking for, a good compromise. The customer would have probably made the purchase, and left happy.
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerone View Post
And you brought back a thread over two years old to make this point???
Old 28th September 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
-Mike Manthe

Moonface, LLC
-------------------------
Moonface Records | Studio | Publishing

| My Web Site |

| My Equipment List |
What happened to Mike? His www is out of order. The last post is 19thmay. I miss his balanced opinions.
Old 29th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
I was considering purchasing Duende ($1500) when I recently discovered Plpareq ($1000 for ten band $150 for 3 band). I downloaded the demo of Plpareq and was very impressed at how well it retained the full integrity of the original track even with extreme tweaking. I have not yet heard the duende. Also I would get the 3 band Plpareq which would cost only $150 and by testing the demo it seems I can run as many of them on one track as I want. So I see the only possible advantage of getting the 10 band is to save on cpu usage and slight convienience of having all bands in one window instead of looking at multiple windows (not worth 7 times the price IMO). Also it seems each instance of the plug in only took up about 1.5% cpu usage (not bad at all). So I guess the question is, is the duende eq worth $1500 when I can get and use Plpareq for exactly 10 times less? (I am only intersted in eq right now not the stereo bus compressor, etc...)
Are you talking about Duende channel strip or the X-EQ (or something) they released for duende a couple of years ago? The latter is a lot more surgical/diverse and would probably be in the ballpark for accurate comparison. Channel strip EQ sounds SICK though.
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Get the duende and plpar 3. Plpar is a fantastic sounding eq, it would be a shame not to have that in the arsenal thumbsup
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

No experience with Duende (is it phase linear?), but I got onto the PLParEQ when it was in beta mode for free and then sent in a $50 contribution for the 3 band version, which qualified me for lifetime support and upgrades. It's an astoundingly good EQ for mastering. Even just passing a mix through it without any boosts or cuts is like Windex, lifts any phase artifact haze off the mix. It's a bit too CPU hungry to use in a host like Sonar (which is my mix platform), but for mastering in Sound Forge or equivilant, huge bang for the $.
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
NEven just passing a mix through it without any boosts or cuts is like Windex, lifts any phase artifact haze off the mix.

I always thought this, but never really delved any deeper. I just did a test with a track, duplicated it and reversed the polarity of the one with plpar on. The residue was fluctuating aroung the -118 / 125 level, measuring -inf when plpar was bypassed. Dither was slightly audible in the residue (24 bit tpdf?) - but the phase removal (?) was definitely present also.
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The residue was fluctuating aroung the -118 / 125 level
Maybe that level represents the phase components? Since the reading is -inf when plpareq is bypassed, would seem to make sense that the differential is the incoherent phase.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search