The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam 1082 converters: time for an upgrade? Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Tascam 1082 converters: time for an upgrade?

hello everyone,

first time poster, long time lurker sponging off all of your knowledge. Im working a decent paying day job and now want to upgrade my project studio but Im not exactly sure the best place to begin. My setup now is a Tascam 1082, ADAM A7's, Sebatron 4000e, RNC and Symetrix comps, and a bunch of mics which im pretty happy with, and mixing ITB. I really thought my AD/DA conversion was a big weakness but after doing a lot of research, im not so sure. Ive found that some people really like the Fronteir A/D converters in the 1082, but dislike the D/A. Ive looked into RME 800 Fireface and thought of getting that as a replacement, but now im not so sure if the doubled price will really give me much improvement. Should i perhaps consider getting a good 2 channel coverter for AD/DA and just keep the Tascam for multi tracking purposes, because im usually recording one or 2 things at a time. I dont think im financially able to step into Rosetta 800 turf yet, and from what ive heard between RME vs Rosetta comparisons im not sure if i want to, there is a difference but it is oh so slight that its hard to justify the additional 1200$+. Any input would be mucho appreciated

Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

I like the sound of the Tascam 1082. There is a bit of comb up top I don't see that as a problem or weak link.
I personally would get more mics or a pool table. thumbsup
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Do you even like the D>A on the 1082? I have no other great converters to compare it to except my upgrade from a EMU 0404 and there was an obvious improvement there.

I am going to get a few more mics, a nice EQ, and a good comp sooner than later as well. I just cant decide if a new unit is in line, or if i want to get into mixing OTB. I cant really mix OTB with the 1802, i'd have to upgrade to the 1884. I wonder if the DA is improved on that unit...

choices, choices....
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I just dont know if the other firefaces would give drastic results. I remember upgrading from EMU 0404 to the Tascam and being like 'woah! ive never heard that before!' I want that again! but i cant really afford to get Prism or Lavry.

The reason I really am considered upgrading is because I want my digital recordings to sound as analog as possible. Working with tape is just not a viable option for me. I know that 'sounding analog' is rather ambiguous, but there is this flimpsy quality to my recordings that I really dislike. Honestly, the biggest improvement in sounding less 'digital or flimpsy' for me was getting the sebatron, it just opened the mics up and buttered them up a bit. But i just cant help but to wonder if converters are really hindering me. My mixes sound pretty decent monitoring them and when i dither down to redbook and play on different systems, they have this 'digital' quality that i dont like; its not a frequency imbalance issue which i would attribute to poor monitoring. I know that it doesnt take $3k mikes to get a stellar sounding record and im not overprocessing with cheap plugs. Could be better room treatment...could be better engineering skills... but like i said it usually sounds good in the mixing stage and the ADAMs are pretty unforgiving. Perhpas i am chasing the wrong ghost here.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
The reason I really am considered upgrading is because I want my digital recordings to sound as analog as possible.
Just pass your mix through two channels of sebatron valve preamp and you'll get closer than any A/D/A convertor box improvement could to the 'analog' sound.Make up for the loss of the convertors by pre-emphazising some airey frequencies a bit.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Interesting idea Mark. Ive definately considered running the mixes through it, but I was scared that the converters are so bad that it would be more harmful than helpful. I guess it could never hurt to try. Thanks for the input.
Old 9th September 2007
As far as affordable boxes go, I'd rank 'em like this from best to not as good:

RME
TASCAM (at least on their bigger units that are partially made by Frontier Design)
Presonus
M-Audio/MOTU
Digi

Basically, I'm just saying that they do a pretty good job. Warren (War) from Front End Audio was just selling a Sek'd converter for pretty cheap - good unit.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Guru

i use 1884 converters all the time, and the results are very analog. why? because i use tube and ribbon mics, trafo pre's, analog compression, track thru tape, and on mix i use analog eq, analog summing, analog compression, and hit tape again.

tone happens in increments, it accumulates. make sure that every single step in your process manifests the qualities of analog you're looking for. ruthlessly ax all that don't.

once your tones are in places, the mix is where it happens. you as an engineer have to make choices that accentuate or, at the very least, do no harm to, the sounds. every stage is a make or break game, every little detail matters.

here's the curveball: the biggest factor in how your mix will sound is the arrangement of the song.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

ubk-

do you know if there is any difference between the D/A on the 1082 and the 1884? Do you have any grief with your D/A? There is really no mention of the 1082 converters on the Tascam site. I think its because they want to entice the customers to get step it up to the 1884.

Yes a ribbon mic is on my short list of buys. From what i've heard, they are definately great mics for getting some of that 'digital edge' off. Very nice and round sounding. I just need to decide if paying the extra 150 bucks for the ShinyBox output Cinemag or Lundahl output transformers is worth it.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

>>>here's the curveball: the biggest factor in how your mix will sound is the arrangement of the song.<<<

i understand completely what you mean, but that is a sort of half truth. I love some rock music, such as LOW, that has arrangements where everything sits around 4k and lower and it sounds awsome to my ears. To some it would just sound like muddy crap
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by layez View Post
>>>here's the curveball: the biggest factor in how your mix will sound is the arrangement of the song.<<<

i understand completely what you mean, but that is a sort of half truth. I love some rock music, such as LOW, that has arrangements where everything sits around 4k and lower and it sounds awsome to my ears. To some it would just sound like muddy crap

but notice what i actually said: the arrangement determines *how* your mix will sound. not how good, or how bad, just *how*.

you're saying the same thing thumbsup.

i have no idea about the d/a's being the same or different. all i can say is that if they're frontier converters, they're good enough to not be the reason your mixes don't sound analog. have i worked with better? absolutely, my heart is set on a rack with 4 2192's in it. in the meantime, i got nothing to bitch about.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Are you on mac!? If you are then check out this new baby from Apogee!! Has exactly the same audio quality as the Ensemble but for much less and also includes 2 mic pres!!

Apogee Duet

Apogee Electronics: Products: Duet
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

the 1884 uses the AKM convertor chip # 4528 if i remember correctly and i would expect tascam to use that same chip on the othe interfaces as well... the biggest problem (and the difference in most interfaces) is how they deal with the analog signal... and tascam used the 4580 opamps in these units... a good but not stellar opamp... all in all i've been very pleased with my 1884 FWIW...
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

is the 1082/1884 conversion good enough to dun DA>AD? Or will that create more harm than benefits.
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

it aint lavrey.... but i've had no issues with conversion... and it dusts all the maudio stuff...
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

i appreciate your input. let me direct another question to you, and hopefully it isnt a stupid question. What is the best way to get the Tascam preamps to not color the sound. For instance, if im running my LDC>MicPre>>Comp>Tascam, how do I get the Tascam preamps to remain as neutral as possible. Have you discovered any good spots on yours? Im just trying to get my gain staging right and not get all my fidelity before the Tascam
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Guru

the pre's are grainy and chalky to my ears no matter how they're used. so i never use them.

with that chain i'd say a serious preamp is a much higher priority than new converters, it'll bust your world wide open.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
the pre's are grainy and chalky to my ears no matter how they're used. so i never use them.

with that chain i'd say a serious preamp is a much higher priority than new converters, it'll bust your world wide open.

that was my last question - how do I bypass them?

What type of preamp is going to blow my Sebatron out of the water? I'm already looking into neve clones.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by layez View Post
that was my last question - how do I bypass them?

What type of preamp is going to blow my Sebatron out of the water? I'm already looking into neve clones.
use thew line in's on the tascam... run them low and kick it up at the external pre...
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
use thew line in's on the tascam... run them low and kick it up at the external pre...
But what is considered low? 9-12 o'clock? Somewhere around 2-3 o'clock the gain gets hot really quick and really fast
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Maniac

As a total seperate issue, i would appreciate any input on the following. Being that my main equipment is a Tascam 1082, ADAM A7's, Sebatron 4000e, RNC and Symetrix comps, and a bunch of mics which im pretty happy with - would another quality preamp or a good compressor be the next best investment? I want to get a nice pre/eq and I think that a Vintech would be a nice partner to the Sebatron. It's hard for me to justify getting a really expensive comp when it's risky business smashing the signal going in and I am not mixing OTB yet. I usually just compress lightly going in and then apply plugin compression if it needs it. Would i probably get more use out of another good preamp than an expensive compressor? My logical side tells me so, my impulsive side says 'get both', and my bank account is rooting against me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search