The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
upgrade G5 to MacPro, RTAS vs TDM Control Surfaces
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

upgrade G5 to MacPro, RTAS vs TDM

Hi,

I currently run a commercial studio and have an HD rig using a dual 2.3 G5 and a Digidesign Expansion HD chassis loaded with a Core card, Accel card, and 2 HD Process cards. I also have a 16ch ProControl.

I want to upgrade my CPU to a new Quad-Core 2.66 MacPro. I also will be purchasing the Waves SSL and API plugins (please no Waves bashing...)

I have a couple questions.

First, any issues with the new Quad-Core MacPros and Expansion HD chassis? (I know I need a new interface card for the chassis)

Is it realistic that I might be able to purchase and run the Native versions of the Waves SSL and API plugins on a system like this?

Any other concerns/ideas regarding this possible upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Is it realistic that I might be able to purchase and run the Native versions of the Waves SSL and API plugins on a system like this?

~~~~~~

i do not know but do you own the waves already? if no - do not buy waves the wup thing really sucks

the massey compressor is really good - and can be used rtas or tdm and is something like 70 clams. great deal
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

So much for my "please no Waves bashing request" Any actual answers to my questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post

~~~~~~

i do not know but do you own the waves already? if no - do not buy waves the wup thing really sucks

the massey compressor is really good - and can be used rtas or tdm and is something like 70 clams. great deal
Old 8th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Yes, I have a Mac Pro with the Waves SSL and API plugs, and I can tell you that in most cases I'm running them as RTAS with no problems. Sometimes you might want to run them as TDM if putting them on aux busses depending on your hardware buffer settings for latency purposes, but otherwise you can probably run them as RTAS almost all the time and have plenty of CPU power to spare.

As far as the expansion chassis, I can't advise you there, as all my cards are inside the Mac Pro.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Seems like you might as well get TDM so you can have both.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

My idea of getting the Native version was to save money. I had the issue with processing latency today with a RTAS plug on an aux, so I'm thinking I may in fact pony uo for the TDM version.

It just means that I can't use them on my MacBookPro/MBox2Pro setup..
Old 8th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburguy View Post
My idea of getting the Native version was to save money. I had the issue with processing latency today with a RTAS plug on an aux, so I'm thinking I may in fact pony uo for the TDM version.

It just means that I can't use them on my MacBookPro/MBox2Pro setup..
If I'm not mistaken you can still install the TDM plugs on your Mbox setup, and have access to the RTAS versions.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search