The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
great overheads, cheap price? Condenser Microphones
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

great overheads, cheap price?

Hello, I've been using a couple of nady cm 90's for overheads and I'm looking elsewhere for a better pair of oh's at still a reasonable price... I want to keep it under 400 dollars.. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Audio Technica ATM450 gets a lot of love...and a pair is under $400.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Kel HM-1's
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Octava MK 012 MSP6 matched pair, a bit over 400. Made in russia... I
Attached Thumbnails
great overheads, cheap price?-175271.jpg  
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Kel HM-1's
Yes for the kel
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have always like the CAD e200.
You can find them used on ebay and they sound amazing on overheads.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Audio Technica ATM450 gets a lot of love...and a pair is under $400.
+1 can't beat them in your price range.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Used pair of Audix ADX 50/51s...?
They're cheap, like $250ish a pair, and they sound prestty effin' sweet.
Old 8th September 2007
ATM450's! They truly crush on overheads. They are my fave at any price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
+1 can't beat them in your price range.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've been meaning to try out those 450s from what I've heard, and that I've generally liked all the other AT stuff I've used... their mics always seem to sound better than their price tag would indicate.

as a side thought, what about a cool mono OH? Lately I'm using a lot of stereo OH in combination with a mono mic, which is providing the brunt of the sound. Slightly bright SDCs panned pretty hard L and R for stereo width, and then a fairly balanced but definitely big sounding mic over the drummer's floor-tom side shoulder getting the fat of the sound.

for a stereo set in that range, I know the Oktavas sound good and even if you end up with a nice expensive set of OH mics, the Oktavas would still have a place in the rig.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Groove Tubes GT44s
AKA. Sterling Audio 44s
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
Octava MK 012 MSP6 matched pair, a bit over 400. Made in russia... I
That's what I was gonna say.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've used lots of different combos, but I keep coming back to those gt44's
nice and full and soft on the cymbals, which I like.

Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Old 11th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Strictly for overheads the ATM450.

War
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I am the guy that always says beyer m160 blah blah blah overheads.

Those are too much though.

But I have heard some great overhead recordings made with modified Apex 205s with lundahl or cinemag transformers. They sound tubby and thunderous and beautiful its not the metallic-in-a-good-way-like-an-akg-414-buls-sound but they sound really good. They really clean up nice.

I can't stop with the ribbons right now. I cant.

Someday I will have the Coles or the Royers and I will be all blah blah blah Coles! and so and so ....

Royers!

anyways you might be able to polish up a pair of 205s yourself + transformer for like 3 bills.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Another vote here for the KEL HM-1s. thumbsup
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Strictly for overheads the ATM450.

War
I am still loving the ones you sold me!!!!!!!

Glenn
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
I am the guy that always says beyer m160 blah blah blah overheads.

Those are too much though.

But I have heard some great overhead recordings made with modified Apex 205s with lundahl or cinemag transformers. They sound tubby and thunderous and beautiful its not the metallic-in-a-good-way-like-an-akg-414-buls-sound but they sound really good. They really clean up nice.

I can't stop with the ribbons right now. I cant.

Someday I will have the Coles or the Royers and I will be all blah blah blah Coles! and so and so ....

Royers!

anyways you might be able to polish up a pair of 205s yourself + transformer for like 3 bills.
same here, i got some chinese 205 modified and they sound nice as OH'S...
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
I am still loving the ones you sold me!!!!!!!

Glenn
am i the only one who doesn't like the ATM 450 as OH'S, they did sound
thinn and harsh in the hi.....and it was a A/B test with the KEL HM1....
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
I am sure you are not the only one, but for me they seem to work pretty well. Much better then anything else I have tried. Maybe I should put YMMV?
In the end it is your room and personal taste for the most part.

Glenn
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
I am sure you are not the only one, but for me they seem to work pretty well. Much better then anything else I have tried. Maybe I should put YMMV?
In the end it is your room and personal taste for the most part.

Glenn
i agree 100%.....
Old 11th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Who cares if you're the only one, your opinion is the ONLY one that matters to you so I respect it 100%. I own and have access to tons of mics and choose them over way more expensive stuff for their sound, so I will respectfully disagree with the thin and harsh statement. Doesn't mean your opinion doesn't count!

If it means anything to you, I've had one single ATM450 come back to me as "eh didn't like it" and the guy tried it on his violin for a live gig and didn't like.

War
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Groove Tubes GT66 or Sterling Audio ST66 LDCs. You'll have to get them used, and even then you'll be a little over budget...but HOLY COW!! I just started using the GT66s on OH a month ago after I 'accidentally' discovered how absolutely amazing they sound for this application.

The GT44/ST44 SDCs are similar and perform great as well, but they do not have the extra...whatever...that the LDCs have. I swear, I do not have to compress my overheads anymore unless I want to add another character to the sound (or if I'm dealing with a crappy drummer who can not control himself/herself). The tube mics impart a 'naturally compressed', classic, BIG sound that I was struggling to find before. This is my 4th set of overheads...I'm sure I'll 'accidentally' discover something else in the future, but I can not imagine EVER not coming back to these guys.

As recommended above by someone else, the GT44/ST44s will get you close...I actually use one on my snare (usually as my ONLY snare mic). It imparts the same character and 'compression' as the 66s, but on a smaller, more directed scale. The bass roll-off and pad make it possible to use in this way. Depending on the drummer, I usually have to engage the pad on the 66s as well. I also like having the option of high-passing the 66s. I usually use 2 kick mics and close mics on my toms. As such, I usually do not need the low freq. response from the overheads...in fact, it makes it muddy sometimes. The rolloff works great for this. BUT, i love the idea of having the ability to capture low freq. very well with my OH mics (this is very useful in certain situations). The SDC mics I've used as OH mics never pick up enough low end to be useful on its own. That is another reason I prefer to have LDCs on OHm, with HPF switches...it gives me options!

I'm giving you way more crap than you asked for here...sorry. Just wanted to give reasons for my opinions on this, instead of just a product recommendation.

Good Luck!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Who cares if you're the only one, your opinion is the ONLY one that matters to you so I respect it 100%. I own and have access to tons of mics and choose them over way more expensive stuff for their sound, so I will respectfully disagree with the thin and harsh statement. Doesn't mean your opinion doesn't count!

If it means anything to you, I've had one single ATM450 come back to me as "eh didn't like it" and the guy tried it on his violin for a live gig and didn't like.

War
Hey War.....cool,doesn't mean they are not good, just that i'm not crazy about
thoses.and i do respect your opinion also.....but for my tast i do prefer the KEL
but i'm sure some peoples will prefere the ATM 450..... it deppend what kind
of tone you are looking for......theses ,anyway are all good microphones
if you can get a deccent sound out of all the suggestion in here, the mic
is not the probleme i guess !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I use a pair of Rode NT-5s. In your budget and sound good to me.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Audio Technica 4033's!

Been using these for 10 years! Haven't found anything to beat them in this price range.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

How about a pair of SE1a's . . . anyone a fan of those?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

ya know, i find the MXL 603's with the omni caps to do a perfectly fine job on the cheap (the card caps are too strident in the high end for me). the MXL V67 has a nice "woody" sound to it as an overhead or room mic. and i REALLY love the MXL V77 as an overhead, but mine ends up in front of the kick more often than not.

if you can find one at a steal of a price, the BLUE dragonfly makes an exceptional overhead too. you'd have to go mono with a $400 budget, but it'd be worth it.

i keep hearing about the GT44 and GT66's........i might have to give those a go.

cheers,
wade
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

I like the AT Pro 37's for overheads...for a grittier rock sound. I have a pair of Kel's as well and those do a decent job. I recently got a pair of SM81's and have been really loving them as overheads.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search