The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Way Over Hyped Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

1176 Way Over Hyped

Hey everybody, I'm I alone in thinking that the 1176 is way overhyped and almost completely useless for tracking...the only thing that it gives you is something cool on a bass when using the "4 on the floor" setting and even that gets boring after one song. Keep in mind I'm not talking mixing.......I tracked with one for a year and found that the only reason I was using it was because it was there in my chain....didn't do a damn thing ....except maybe give a cruddy muddy squishy sound to some guitars that had to be redone....I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it is a stand out peice of gear...average really...anyone with me?

Nick

P.S. absolutely the worst compressor on a snare track :0)

Last edited by nickynicknick; 8th September 2007 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: mislpe
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is this thread a joke?

It's like walking into a bar at 4am and yelling "Who wants to f&*$ing fight?"
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRadio View Post
Is this thread a joke?

no not a joke howevere that response is hillarious...I know I'm asking for it, but I really feel this way...maybe others do too? maybe I'll just get pummelled....
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Guru
Hope you're wearing your flame ******ent suit there Nick
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

LOL guess ya just want one.

In most cases I like it better than my LA
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know about this one. The 1176 is pretty cool. Maybe someone made you believe it was god's gift to the world, which no piece of gear is.

Quote:
soooo funny.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
I don't know about this one. The 1176 is pretty cool. Maybe someone made you believe it was god's gift to the world, which no piece of gear is.

soooo funny.
explain what is so cool about it.....this is my point I think it's just cool to say 1176....yeah......but in practice no way
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm kinda diggin' that Purple audio compressor.

Gotta get me one of those.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

It sounds like you are expecting something different than what a classic compressor does.
Mis-use?
Lack of understanding?

An 1176 is what it is... a great and very useful piece.
I have used one on almost every session I done for over thirty years.

It has never ruined a bass part and it imparts a nice sound on vocals, too.

It isn't rocket science.
It's just a GADAMNED compressor!

Wierd post!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
It sounds like you are expecting something different than what a classic compressor does.
Mis-use?
Lack of understanding?

An 1176 is what it is... a great and very useful piece.
I have used one on almost every session I done for over thirty years.

It has never ruined a bass part and it imparts a nice sound on vocals, too.

It isn't rocket science.
It's just a GADAMNED compressor!

Wierd post!
again what is so great about it?...and no it wouldn't ruin a bass part...but does it make it better...come on I don't think so
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

21st century = Age of the Ignorant
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

The 1176 has been used on more albums than gearslutz has posts.

Somebody must like it? I don't own one, but I would like to.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

nickynicknick

I've always say. "Find 100 engineers that agree on one thing, and you'll find 100 more that believe the total opposite"

maybe this is the case with you and the 1176. And that's all gravy, you have every right to not like what others like.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
21st century = Age of the Ignorant
you must have a bunch for sale eric
Old 8th September 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

It's the output that makes it a great compressor to me. F'ing KILLER.

Maybe you had a faulty unit. Maybe you don't know how to use it.

I only use all buttons in for parallel to blend it with the original signal.

Something is fishy here.

Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
....except maybe give a cruddy muddy squishy sound to some guitars that had to be redone....

I personally wouldn't ever use it on guitars or drums, because to me it doesn't sound good there. But on vocals and bass, it's great. Perhaps you are just expecting it to be more versatile than it actually is?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
nickynicknick

I've always say. "Find 100 engineers that agree on one thing, and you'll find 100 more that believe the total opposite"

maybe this is the case with you and the 1176. And that's all gravy, you have every right to not like what others like.
that's cool..however you still haven't explained (like I have) the basis for your opinion...which is proving my point that people just say they like something because some hot shot said it...I didn't say it was a bad piece of gear, just overhyped and useless for tracking...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not a huge fan at the tracking stage- I think I know what you're saying... I like them for mixing gruff guitars but other than the smash setting on a Ball and Biscuit in a nice drum room at tracking I only ever find myself using them as traditional leveling amps- they are quality pieces but not the exciting thing that the are made out to be by some... I never worry if there isnt one at the studio as long as there are Distressors or something instead.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

It Gives an "Edge" and familiar sound. The Edge may be a bit overrated but gives an extra tool. You have heard it many many times. Like a Marshall guitar amp. Doesn't mean ya NEED one. And the Edge is not like night and day difference. I wouldn't buy one if ya don't know what you are doing.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
It Gives an "Edge" and familiar sound. The Edge may be a bit overrated but gives an extra tool. You have heard it many many times. Like a Marshall guitar amp. Doesn't mean ya NEED one. And the Edge is not like night and day difference. I wouldn't buy one if ya don't know what you are doing.
....I'm very familiar with the sound of it and I think oppositely that it doesn't give an edge...it mellows...which is alright...just not the cats ass everyone thinks it is.....for a familiar sound for it's price, I would get 3 sm 57's and 2 421's...a lot more useful for tracking than an 1176...or maybe I don't know what I'm doing......
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everybody, I'm I alone in thinking that the 1176 is way overhyped and almost completely useless for tracking...the only thing that it gives you is something cool on a bass when using the "4 on the floor" setting and even that gets boring after one song. Keep in mind I'm not talking mixing.......I tracked with one for a year and found that the only reason I was using it was because it was there in my chain....didn't do a damn thing ....except maybe give a cruddy muddy squishy sound to some guitars that had to be redone....I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it is a stand out peice of gear...average really...anyone with me?

Nick

I love the 1176 for it's tonal mojo..it clears things up makes them present and gives them big freakin balls. You can also use an eq into and out of it to shape the squish. Love it on so many things especially rock vocals and bass and sn and guitar and well dang near everything.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nick
What 1176 are you talking about........old URI, new UA or 6176, 2-1176?

nIC
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth View Post
Nick
What 1176 are you talking about........old URI, new UA or 6176, 2-1176?

nIC
new UA and 6176....have used Uri in the early 90's secretly didn't like them then either esp on snare tracked or mixed....
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

well...if you don't find use for an 1176, then you are either: a. think its a 'magic' piece, which it is not. or b. not using it correctly. The best uses for an 1176 are tracking-fast attack to tame levels to tape or a/d, and for mixing- CREATING transients by using a slow attack and fast release. If that does not get you a great rock vocal not many other comps will.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
I love... it's tonal mojo..it ...gives them big freakin balls. You can also use an eq!!! .... especially ...... sn and guitar
....ok....
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nick

I respect and applaud you inclination to buck the trend, develop your own opinions and be suspicious of long-established audio folklore.

That said, you're dead wrong, you fool!

Anyhoo, if you're looking for a natural snare sound, then yes, it could be among the worst compressors in the world for your tastes, especially if used heavily. Then again, it depends on what you're going for. It can be extremely useful on a parallel snare track.... again, depending on what you're going for.

To expand on stagefright's metaphor, perhaps your distaste for the 1176 is like a country guitarist saying that Marshall stacks "suck" or a metalhead saying that a Twin Reverb sounds "like ass".

Okaaaaay.... right.

Use it in extremes. Find one place where it sounds absolutely perfect when squashing a source ********ly , and then you'll come one step closer to understanding where it will excel under more ordinary conditions.

If you are recording a source where it will not excell, then don't plug it in! Use something else.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

*pitchfork and torch in hand*
GET HIM!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I can totally understand how someone wouldnt like the sound of one. Its easy to mess up a sound if your attack is too fast. Itll turn really squishy and loose definition.

I personally think they can be cool at times on vocals, bass, and overheads when they need to be 'smooshed' down into the mix. Otherwise I prefer a 'harder' sounding compressor.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
I respect and applaud you inclination to buck the trend, develop your own opinions and be suspicious of long-established audio folklore.

That said, you're dead wrong, you fool!

It can be extremely useful on a parallel snare track.... again, depending on what you're going for.

.[/I]
thanks Justin...nicely put...however you guys are forgetting I said NOT MIXING...I believe it has many wonderful mixing applications....but tracking....way overrated
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks Justin...nicely put...however you guys are forgetting I said NOT MIXING...I believe it has many wonderful mixing applications....but tracking....way overrated
Ok.

What then do you prefer for a tracking compressor?

What are you compressing while tracking?

Why are compressing while tracking?

Why would it be wonderful for mixing...yet Not wonderful for tracking ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search