The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Way Over Hyped Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
My 1176 (yes, this really is my 1176)...
Add tubes and vernier control and you'd have a real limiter HEE!
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
My 1176 (yes, this really is my 1176)...

Has something it would like to say to the original poster...

Excellent! heh
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
No kidding, what's with Nicky's PM's? I mean talk about being upset...the dude PM's calling me names, accusing me of working for UA! The only person here that needs to 'get over it' is Nicky. I've never once said he didn't have a right to an opinion on a piece of gear, nor did I ever say the 1176 is the cats arse...hardly even recommending it (go ahead and check). All I did was question his conclusion when he makes such a ridiculous statement that it is wonderful for mixing yet sucks on tracking. When I question how it could be so, he starts flying off the handle, calling me names and PM'ing me and calling me a d*i*c*k...and yet of course he's still incapable of answering a simple and sincere question.

Nicky, I don't know how old you are, but maturity isn't always relative to your actual age.

I'd report that kind of abuse of the facilities to the moderators. The forum and certainly PMs should not be used to abuse and insult people! tutt
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

so fill me..are the bluse stripes more desirable? And why? I have a vintage blackface which I dig.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

maybe Behringer put out a piece like a BHR1176 that has nicky confused
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
so fill me..are the bluse stripes more desirable? And why? I have a vintage blackface which I dig.
Bluestripes are the ****. and are stupid expensive now.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyRayHanky View Post
maybe Behringer put out a piece like a BHR1176 that has nicky confused
what'ya mean? it's the behringer one I'm talking about...does somebody else make the 1176 too??..
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Bluestripes are ****.. and are stupid
thumbsup
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
what'ya mean? it's the behringer one I'm talking about...does somebody else make the 1176 too??..
HEE! heh
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ah the ol' let me make a joke to join back in bit, well OK we won't beat on you any more if you promise to stop being such a pain in the a$$
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1117 View Post
Ah the ol' let me make a joke to join back in bit, well OK we won't beat on you any more if you promise to stop being such a pain in the a$$
Ah the ol' I'm three steps ahead of this guy trick...can't put one over you...BTW in your pro opinion please tell us...is there a piece of gear that gets rave reviews that you don't like to use?...could you tell us what that piece of gear is and please give a detailed account of why? Of course if this question is a pain in your Pro a$$, please feel free to berate me.

Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd like to see this thread either closed or moved to the moan zone.
8 pages of (mostly) flamewars and troll feeding is definitely too much.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Blue Stripes were the original models.
There were less of these made than the black faces and such.
That alone makes them have more appeal.
Real or percieved? It's hard to say.

I thought that the blue stripes were pretty much the same as a pre LN model.
The are not EXACTLY the same, but they are closer than anything else.
You could do the LN mod to blue stripes and early blackface models.

The changes were largely in the UTC front end transformer and the custom wound output transformers. The output tranny changed as many times as the front end.
This is where the sound changed between units.

The first 1176 I ever used/owned (1975) was a blue stripe.
We replaced a pair of UA175s with it at UREI's suggestion.
I also owned the exact same unit between '85 and '93 (I bought the studio back.)

My blue stripe sounded great, but would produce a random "POP" or "SNAP" every thirty minutes or so. Sometims it took even longer and sometimes it was sooner.
It was just a bad cap, but since it never busted a take or messed up a mix, I left it alone.

I have been pulling mixes of material that I tracked during those years using that blue stripe lately. I miss it.... and it's random "pop"!

I'll be honest though.. I have used about every Rev of 1176 there is and the difference is fairly subtle. They are all 1176s.
There is a more obvious difference between the transformer VS. 5534 IC balanced front end units than anything else.
The overall compression effect is pretty well the same with all models.
The big difference is in the low end to me with the transformer front end sounding better.

Danny Brown
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Couldn't any 1176 could be turned into a blue stripe? ..or changed to a different Rev? ..seems it could.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

I like 1176!
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
I'd like to see this thread either closed or moved to the moan zone.
8 pages of (mostly) flamewars and troll feeding is definitely too much.
True....but it is fun watching Nicky dig a deeper and deeper hole, stooping to editing other peoples quotes like a child would....see if he can resist doing it to this post fuuck
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickydickdick View Post
Mamma..my diaper feels heavy
thumbsupheh

A Welsh View: Video: Diaper Boy
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

heh
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Head

I have two black face units of my own but the studio I'm at right now has two of the blue stripe ones. They seem to be a slight bit noisy. Is this normal? (I'm on the production end of things not so much engineering)

I've used 1176's on vocals since I can remember-at the tracking stage. Just careful to not overdo it but great for smoothing things out.

I'm also a big fan of the LA-2A and the older Aphex Compellors (if anyone remembers those)
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
Ah the ol' I'm three steps ahead of this guy trick...can't put one over you...BTW in your pro opinion please tell us...is there a piece of gear that gets rave reviews that you don't like to use?...could you tell us what that piece of gear is and please give a detailed account of why? Of course if this question is a pain in your Pro a$$, please feel free to berate me.

No need to berate you, you insult yourself everytime you open your mouth on these forums.
But to answer your question, I'm sure there are tons of pieces out there that people rave about that I don't like or choose to use. I just have a strong enough personality that I don't have to have people support my opinion..I just don't use the items.
No, if I have a question about a piece of gear..I might ask opinions, but I'll check it for myself if at all possible and I sure as hell wouldn't be putting people down when they don't agree with me.
Nicky, if you stay in this audio thing for any amount of time, you'll proably(hopefully) look back at your postings and say..."man I sure was a stupid kid back then." That'll mean that you are making progress.
I find that asking more knowledgable people questions & then being able to share in their answers is the greatest thing ever in this field. I'd rather have Tom Dowds attitude and knowledge than all the gear in the world(don't hate me fellow slutz) Sometimes we forget that the best "gear" we can get is that knowledge passed down to us. Rather than say the 1176 is over hyped, you should have ask some of the old pros in here what their favorite settings were etc. and try them. I know sometimes people just answer "oh we twiddled the knobs till we got a sound etc," but some guys will tell you down to the detail all their tricks.
I remember how cool it was when I first was told about pre delaying a reverb plate and the first time I heard it. It was like "wow...that sounds familiar." or when I first was taught about analog machines and some of the skills that go into properly maintaining one. (notice I said some) Don't use these forums to ruin your musical interest, use them to enhance them.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmusic25 View Post
I have two black face units of my own but the studio I'm at right now has two of the blue stripe ones. They seem to be a slight bit noisy. Is this normal?

Yes....That is quite common with blue stripe 1176's. The low noise mod can rectify the excess noise if it's a problem.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmusic25 View Post
I have two black face units of my own but the studio I'm at right now has two of the blue stripe ones. They seem to be a slight bit noisy. Is this normal? (I'm on the production end of things not so much engineering)
It's normal compared to the blackface versions. On the 1176LN blackface the 'LN' actually stands for 'Low Noise'.

All blackfaces were LN versions fwir.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
True....but it is fun watching Nicky dig a deeper and deeper hole, stooping to editing other peoples quotes like a child would....see if he can resist doing it to this post

Oh wait. I've changed my mind.

I suck.

I mean it.

I suck.

1176's suck too.

Nicky is actually pretty cool.

What?!?!? You can do that?

Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
...Rather than say the 1176 is over hyped, you should have ask some of the old pros in here what their favorite settings were etc. and try them. I know sometimes people just answer "oh we twiddled the knobs till we got a sound etc," but some guys will tell you down to the detail all their tricks.
Actually all Nicky woulda had to do is use his favorite Mix-Mode settings during tracking (remember, Nicky said it was wonderful during mixing).

Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
What?!?!? You can do that with another man?
tutt
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
....I'm very familiar with the sound of it and I think oppositely that it doesn't give an edge...it mellows...which is alright...just not the cats ass everyone thinks it is.....for a familiar sound for it's price, I would get 3 sm 57's and 2 421's...a lot more useful for tracking than an 1176...or maybe I don't know what I'm doing......
Well, you said it yourself, you don't knwo what you're doing.
I've used 1176's to sculpt snare and kick sounds, to soudn the way i wanted them to sound.

But then you say you'd buy 3 57's. Why would you need 3 hammers?
Since that's all 57's are good for. Hammering in nails to keep the drums from sliding around, and you can't find a hammer. Or as a doorstop.

57's suck ass, IMO.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
Too bad you couldn't have started a more "profound/relevant" thread to begin with.

Personally, I somehow find cluelessness reassuring.
Maybe you should go back to recordingschool.
Or try hanging around people who know how to engineer.
I guess it would be better if there was a preste you could dial up.
Unfortunately for you, the only preset it comes with is the 4-button mode.
Anyhtign else takes some experience and a bit of talent.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

stike We now return to our normal scheduled program stike

Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
.... I sure as hell wouldn't be putting people down when they don't agree with me.

all you've done is put me down...

Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Maybe you should go back to recordingschool.
Or try hanging around people who know how to engineer.
I guess it would be better if there was a preste you could dial up.
Unfortunately for you, the only preset it comes with is the 4-button mode.
Anyhtign else takes some experience and a bit of talent.

...yes you are a ******.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search