The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Way Over Hyped Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey View Post
Same cuircut in both .
Well acording to UA it's not.
Universal Audio | Analog Products | 2-1176 | Overview
read the part..."The 2-1176 builds from the circuit design of UA’s hugely successful 6176 Channel Strip and combines two 1176 channels from that unit"
Why wouldn't they just say same as the 1176 circuit?...cause it ain't.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
I couldn't agree more...I thought this would be short lived... I had my answer after page 3...I am 99% alone on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth View Post
Nick, I don't think you totally alone with the 1176, it just doesn't work for you....I reckon that's fine. I'm the same with the Distressor, alot rave about them, I think they're OK and rather use something else.

nIC
Actually since he thinks the 1176 is wonderful during mixing, but sucks during tracking (I have yet to figure that out--even Nick can't figure that out), he would be 100% alone on this particular thought here.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

The right 1176 is a good compressor, but its used market value goes beyond the reasonable.
Think about it! $2250 to $2500 for a mono channel? Pfff! I paid $3700 for my stereo pair of 2254/d's less than a year ago, that's $1850/channel , so for that kind of money, i'm not buying any 1176! I'll buy something else! With the budget for a stereo 1176, i'd rather buy a second 33609/JD or a used GML8900.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Actually since he thinks the 1176 is wonderful during mixing, but sucks during tracking (I have yet to figure that out--even Nick can't figure that out), he would be 100% alone on this particular thought here.
Yeah, can somebody please explain to me how something can "suck during tracking" but not during mixdown or vice versa? I mean, as long as you're hitting the same medium at each stage, isn't it all really the same thing?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same cuircut in both Hemingway.
Sorry Robbins, this is incorrect.

For one, the 2-1176 & 6176 were designed from the start without the t-bridge/pad attenuator, none of them have it, so they are not the same as an 1176 with the t-bridge and if you are comparing a vintage 1176 to a reissue, you should/must compare it to a reissue with the t-pad. Also, the 6176 / 2-1176 have different input transformers. The 2-1176 is essentially 2 compressors from the 6176 unit. There are other differences that I can't remember.

They are far from identical to an 1176 reissue.

I have not heard the 2-1176, but I remember posts here commenting that the 2-1176 was thinner sounding than the 1176.

"Hemingway was a jerk. "
- Harold Robbins
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
The right 1176 is a good compressor, but its used market value goes beyond the reasonable.
Think about it! $2250 to $2500 for a mono channel? Pfff! I paid $3700 for my stereo pair of 2254/d's less than a year ago, that's $1850/channel , so for that kind of money, i'm not buying any 1176! I'll buy something else! With the budget for a stereo 1176, i'd rather buy a second 33609/JD or a used GML8900.
I paid between $750.00 and $850.00 for several of them in 1995/6, so if people didn't think that they were really useful and good sounding, why did they spike in price like they did?

You can get decent ones in the $1500.00 (or less) range.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Because they are popular.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
You can get decent ones in the $1500.00 (or less) range.
A silver face may be, but black face? You're lucky if you find one for $2000... Yep! Craaazy man, i'm telling you!
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry Robbins, this is incorrect.

For one, the 2-1176 & 6176 were designed from the start without the t-bridge/pad attenuator, none of them have it, so they are not the same as an 1176 with the t-bridge and if you are comparing a vintage 1176 to a reissue, you should/must compare it to a reissue with the t-pad. Also, the 6176 / 2-1176 have different input transformers. The 2-1176 is essentially 2 compressors from the 6176 unit. There are other differences that I can't remember.

They are far from identical to an 1176 reissue.

I have not heard the 2-1176, but I remember posts here commenting that the 2-1176 was thinner sounding than the 1176.

"Hemingway was a jerk. "
- Harold Robbins
Ah. Makes sense. Thanks for the info.
That explains why the 6176 and 2-1176 are so far off from the original.
I've used the UA mono re-issue 1176 and thought that didn't measure up either, but never A/B'd them.
With the purple 77 out there I'm not sure why anyone would buy the reissue anyway.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've used the UA mono re-issue 1176 and thought that didn't measure up either, but never A/B'd them.
Well, next time you A/B a reissue, make sure it has the t-bridge/pad attenuator in it (as the original has), otherwise it won't be a fair comparison.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
again what is so great about it?...and no it wouldn't ruin a bass part...but does it make it better...come on I don't think so
I'll tell you what's so great about it. It's the most versatile limiter of all time. It works on bass, guitar, vocals, drums, even the 2-buss (better get two!). You name the instrument, the 1176 will be one of your better options. Now whether it's the best option, depends on what else you have available, and what you're looking to accomplish sonically. The 1176 has a sound. A color. And despite the many incarnations of the unit, (and we're not talking plug-ins here), the 1176 has a clear and identifiable sonic fingerprint. After a while, you just know when to use one, and you rarely (if ever) allow an 1176 to sit idle. In fact, you usually judiciously choose what you're going to use that 1176 on.

The 1176 is probably the most universally useful and appreciated piece of kit ever made. And I can promise you, any recordist, mixer, or producer that has recorded for long enough to have a full basis of comparison between plug-ins and hardware, understands just how beneficial an 1176 is to the recording and mixing process.

Here's the best indicator of all: If a piece of gear is manufactured for the better part of 30+ years, you can be pretty ****ing sure, it ain't just the usual modern-day blind hype.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

The End
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

What are we even talking about?

"OVER hyped?" Huh?

A 1176 is a 1176... not a Fairchild, not an Alesis 3630. A frickin 1176!

What do you expect? People's opinion come from it being the staple useful compressor that it is, it's salt in a meal, a useful and perfect ingredient in a meal... using it the right way in the right amounts.

So, what is the question, really?

This just smells of controversy for controversy sake... hype and hypocrasy in itself.

-a
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

MIXERMAN IS BACK!!!

I know you got your own forum to run, but we miss you here, hope you stick around and visit the homestead once in a while

Old 15th September 2007
Quote:
MIXERMAN IS BACK!!!

I know you got your own forum to run, but we miss you here, hope you stick around and visit the homestead once in a while

Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

That 1176 fad is gonna be over any day now...
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Like I said before, back in the 70's and 80's, nobody made any mention of the 1176 ..it was like nail clippers or a bottle opener and not regarded as anything special. I'm just telling the facts.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Like I said before, back in the 70's and 80's, nobody made any mention of the 1176 ..it was like nail clippers or a bottle opener and not regarded as anything special. I'm just telling the facts.
So I take it you prefer the DBX's that took their place during that era
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I take it you prefer the DBX's that took their place during that era
The little one with IC's and small sound? 160 ..I don't think it ever replaced anything.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
A 1976 phone conversation:

[phone ringing]

"TimeMachine Studios."

"Yes, I was wondering if I could speak with one of your engineers. I need some advice."

"This is Tom Straight, Chief Engineer. What kind of advice are you looking for?"

"Oh great. Yeah, well, I'm putting together a studio, and I have $2000 to spend. I'm wondering what should I buy first?"

"What you should buy first? Do you have a tape machine?"

"No."

"Do you have a console?"

"No."

"Do you have a room?"

"No."

"Get out of here kid, you're bothering me."

"I was thinking about starting with a compressor. I heard about some Urine compressor"

"Urine compressor?"

"Yeah, I think it was the 1776."

"You mean Urei 1176?"

"That's the one."

"It's a limiter not a compressor."

"I see. Well, is that the best limiter you have?"

"It's a good limiter."

"Is it the best in the world?"

"That's ridiculous. Best in the world? It's a limiter. I have 3 limiters in this room. I have a Fairchild, an 1176, and an La2a, and I use all three of them."

"Only 3? Shouldn't you have one for every channel?"

"Why the hell would I want that? I never heard of anything so absurd! Music is dynamic, kid. Sometimes you want to reduce the dynamics, but you don't want to eradicate them. That would make music boring."

"I see. Well, then, which limiter do you think will be worth the most years from now?"

"You mean worth the least. These are depreciating assets, like a car."

"They don't go up in value?"

"Of course not! Why would they go up in value?"

"Well, what if, in the future, everyone and their brother gets into the recording business, and the quality of gear and the recording chain in general goes down so drastically, that all those limiters you have actually go up in value?"

"It'll never happen. That's ridiculous."

"Do you ever think of buying more limiters or compressors?"

"Why do you use the terms limiter and compressor as if they're interchangeable kid? Yeah, of course I consider buying another limiter. I'm going to see what's out there at the next AES convention"

"Would you buy another 1176?"

"I might."

"Would you ever lust over one?"

"You lust over a woman kid, not a box full of electronics. Who the hell are you anyway? Are you from the future?"

"It's a bleak place."

"Sounds like it, kid. I gotta run. I have 24 channels to align before my clients come in."

[Click]

I suppose you're right. No one really ever talked about it.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Perfect
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Nut

an 1176 is an 1176.......not quite but almost....

1176 REVISION HISTORY
Old 15th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Thanks, Mixerman. Best post of the entire thread. I believe we can now close this thread completely, there is nothing else anyone can write that will be better or more insightful than that.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Friggin classic. Mixerman succeeds again at making our day a little more worthwhile.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

holy ****! you guys still upset about this?...can't belive you care that much...it's just an opinion...why don't you smarta$$es start a more "profound/relevant" thread...this one is so over.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

We're not at all upset, it's entertainment at this point.

Seems like there's only one who's upset here...
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've actually taken/wasted the time to look at more of nicky(the load that should have been swallowed)'s postings...he's basically a blow job in every posting. He's obviously an amateur trying to play with the big boys...he's not making a very good go of it. hey Nicky...time to take up a new hobby. Perhaps something with the blind..so they're not subject to reading your lame a$$ed postings.

I look forward to more of your PM's ..I enjoy responding to them.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

My 1176 (yes, this really is my 1176)...

Has something it would like to say to the original poster...

Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1117 View Post
I look forward to more of your PM's ..I enjoy responding to them.
No kidding, what's with Nicky's PM's? I mean talk about being upset...the dude PM's calling me names, accusing me of working for UA! The only person here that needs to 'get over it' is Nicky. I've never once said he didn't have a right to an opinion on a piece of gear, nor did I ever say the 1176 is the cats arse...hardly even recommending it (go ahead and check). All I did was question his conclusion when he makes such a ridiculous statement that it is wonderful for mixing yet sucks on tracking. When I question how it could be so, he starts flying off the handle, calling me names and PM'ing me and calling me a d*i*c*k...and yet of course he's still incapable of answering a simple and sincere question.

Nicky, I don't know how old you are, but maturity isn't always relative to your actual age.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
My 1176 (yes, this really is my 1176)...

Has something it would like to say to the original poster...

hehhehheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search