The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Way Over Hyped Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Someone puts up a well-maintained vintage U47 thru a vintage 1073 and it doesn’t sound like their fav records. Of course at that point it's the gear. It can't be the engineer or the singer. Over hyped pieces?

Me thinks this thread is tapped.
yeah that's exactly what I did...I threw up a mic, into a pre through the 1176 and the first thing I realized was... this doesn't sound like Dark Side Of The Moon...must be the compressor
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Someone puts up a well-maintained vintage U47 thru a vintage 1073 and it doesn’t sound like their fav records.
Put it thru a V72 and it might.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Put it thru a V72 and it might.
No it won't. No peice of gear can turn Joe Pesci into Joe Cocker.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

But apparently it's still wonderful during mixdown

Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah that's exactly what I did...I threw up a mic, into a pre through the 1176 and the first thing I realized was... this doesn't sound like Dark Side Of The Moon...must be the compressor
Need I say more.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
No it won't. No peice of gear can turn Joe Pesci into Joe Cocker.
heh
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
let's see..depends on what I'm tracking...never kik/sn...usually always bass(chandler API, Distressor) depends....always lightly vocal(same as before even 737)...DBX 162 for toms overheads room if I feel like it...guitar probably no comp.......as for mixing how bout backbussing, parallel....sub the bass/kik low pass and compress just low and sub info... 2 different animals aren't they?...what's your point here? I thought you were supposed to tell me how wrong or right I am...I think you guys just don't wanna hear a solid dissenting opinion...you keep angling towards "maybe you don't know what you're doing"...guess what...I don't care.....'cause I'm right!(smiley goes here).

Nick

P.S. thanks for all the replys...I still haven't seen a solid reason for tracking through one
I actually can't believe people are responding to this guy..what a dumb [email protected]
He's doing what moveon.org is doing with the war in IRAQ...saying we should admit defeat and...move on. These kind of people do this for shock value. Mr.NickyDick you keep saying you have described in detail what you hate about the 1176...you haven't. It's easy to say I don't like a piece because..well it doesn't sound good......well then why do you bag on an answer like...I like it ...'cause it sounds good? You sound like a 16 year old kid who doesn't have a big enough budget to afford all the toys at one time and you are trying to justify selling your 1176 to buy the other "next big thing" that still won't make you a "bigtime" producer. You know I'm right so just fess up. This discussion is not about the 1176...it's now about what a little wimp you are.
OK I'll bite...why do I like it....cause you don't (nanny-nanny-boo boo)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
But it feels like a year.
Oh man!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

This thread is pointless.
They are so many 1176 revision that sounds different, some guys here might argue about a different revision and not even know about it, like you don't like apples? Fine but which apple are you talking about ? Red apples? Green apples or Yellow apples?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
This thread is pointless.
They are so many 1176 revision that sounds different, some guys here might argue about a different revision and not even know about it, like you don't like apples? Fine but which apple are you talking about ? Red apples? Green apples or Yellow apples?
Granny Smith? I like them on input...I don't like eating them on output
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm another who loves the 1176 for tracking or mixing.
For me it can give the impression of excitement and urgency when used "right".
I would never describe it as dark.
If I want a slow release compressor I look elsewhere. I rarely use the 1176 without the fastest release time.
I don't even consider the UA re-issues an 1176. Not even close.
No big deal if you don't like it but I'm betting you're in the minority.
nothing wrong with that.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

You're so right. The 1176 sucks. What a piece of crap. All of you should send them to me for disposal. I only charge $100 disposal fee + your 1176
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

lety's not start the whole UA doesn't sound like an 1176....it does.... i've had both..and they do...and I mix...a lot....thank you...discussion over...&....no...I'm not ...deaf......
and so does the la2a...and probably the LA-3a as well. Some of you guys must have heard all of the la2a's/1176's/la3a's in the world to make such statements...I think most of the people in here were in a studio once that had a vintage one heard it used by somebody..then heard/tried a UA years later themselves and thought hmmm I don't rememebr it sounding like this..."it's not the same it was soooo much better back then".

I had an old AC15 that I remember being the cats balls and a 50's tweed deluxe. Years later I thought I'm going to get those amps again...I went back and listened to them and was like "hey...they didn't sound like that"...but they did, they were my old amps. SO i tried other old ac15's/deluxes...not a one sounded the same...close...but not the same.
Now you might say...well the tubes aged or changed or the caps were changed etc in your amps.....but that only proves more of my point...there are way many reasons some old 1176's don't exactly sound the same as a new UA. I bet not all UA's sound the same either.
Too many people in here thinking the old caps had fairy dust in them.
Either way. the 1176 is great, people like it because it works..setup is fast and they like it. If nothing else it's a piece that everyone learned on and shows up in most pro studios so there's a familiarity to it.
Personally I like the DBX160x but I sure as hell don't dislike my 1176
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

If I could only ever have one compressor for tracking, I don't even have to think twice. It would be the 1176 without any question or hesitation.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1117 View Post
lety's not start the whole UA doesn't sound like an 1176....it does.... i've had both..and they do...and I mix...a lot....thank you...discussion over...&....no...I'm not ...deaf......
Well I've sat there A/B-ing each one over and over while messing around with them.
The re-issue is not as edgy or explosive from what I heard. It actually sounds like a tamed 1176, which might be even better than an old one if that's really what you want. I like a certain quality in an 1176 that does not come through in the re-issue. Even if you mixed dark side of the moon I'd say the same thing.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Was the the 1st or 2nd reissue?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Was the the 1st or 2nd reissue?
It actually was the newer dual 1176 (2-1176?). Maybe the standard mono re-issue would have performed better against the real deal.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I actually can't believe people are responding to this guy..what a dumb [email protected]
This discussion is not about the 1176...it's now about what a little wimp you are.
I think you need help. Seriously.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey View Post
It actually was the newer dual 1176 (2-1176?). Maybe the standard mono re-issue would have performed better against the real deal.
Ya see...this is what I'm talking about..the first quote says.."I've a/b'd them" ,then we find out you a/b'd an 1176 and a new dual version. probably not a real good comparison....not to argue (and maybe the dual is identical to the mono 1176) but these are the kind of posts that litter these forums...the I a/b'd when you kinda...really didn't. Folks if you haven't sat down and a/b/c/d/e'd these things with identical units...don't say you have.
What's next...I a/b'd them....1 was the real deal and one was software..and the software sounded nothing like the real deal....DUH
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
No peice of gear can turn Joe Pesci into Joe Cocker.

you can say that, but i won't give up. i won't!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

1176 is still over-hyped. Same with Neve and API. The main problem being, they lack tubes.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nick, your orginal objective was to determine if you were alone in thinking that the 1176 is hyped. Based on the responses i'd say you have an answer. Any further discussion as to `why` will be about as conclusive as a debate regarding whether blue is a nicer colour than red.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRoach View Post
Nick, your orginal objective was to determine if you were alone in thinking that the 1176 is hyped. Based on the responses i'd say you have an answer. Any further discussion as to `why` will be about as conclusive as a debate regarding whether blue is a nicer colour than red.
I couldn't agree more...I thought this would be short lived... I had my answer after page 3...I am 99% alone on this.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
I couldn't agree more...I thought this would be short lived... I had my answer after page 3...I am 99% alone on this.

Nick, I don't think you totally alone with the 1176, it just doesn't work for you....I reckon that's fine. I'm the same with the Distressor, alot rave about them, I think they're OK and rather use something else.

nIC
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
1176 is still over-hyped. Same with Neve and API. The main problem being, they lack tubes.
I don't think so...I like Neve and API
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

1176's rule stikestike
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

You don't like em? Then don't use em. I like mine a lot. There are a few tricks them but their definitely not in any way hyped. I don't really tubetech CL1bs, so i don't use them. Etc. It's like a lot of the greatest guitarists evr used Les Pauls, and i don't like les pauls. Horses for courses.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl View Post
You don't like em? Then don't use em. I like mine a lot. There are a few tricks them but their definitely not in any way hyped. I don't really tubetech CL1bs, so i don't use them. Etc. It's like a lot of the greatest guitarists evr used Les Pauls, and i don't like les pauls. Horses for courses.
How the heck can you not like les pauls...???? I am starting to have great doubts about gearslutz! 1176's and les Pauls are essential.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ya see...this is what I'm talking about..the first quote says.."I've a/b'd them" ,then we find out you a/b'd an 1176 and a new dual version. probably not a real good comparison....not to argue (and maybe the dual is identical to the mono 1176) but these are the kind of posts that litter these forums...the I a/b'd when you kinda...really didn't. Folks if you haven't sat down and a/b/c/d/e'd these things with identical units...don't say you have.
What's next...I a/b'd them....1 was the real deal and one was software..and the software sounded nothing like the real deal....DUH
Same cuircut in both Hemingway.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winey View Post
Hemingway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search