The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Way Over Hyped Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

The 1176 is a great tool for rock, however, some people don't like what it does. In that case, you should check out something else. "Average" is not the word. It's not super clean, so if that's what you're looking for it's the wrong choice. It's always a challenge trying to find a piece of gear that will substitute for an 1176 when you walk into a place that doesn't have one.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Guru

when i hear about it sounding too squishy or closed off when tracking, all i can think is that the attack is too fast and/or the input is driven too hard so it's digging in too much. the more salient point (to me) is why you can't hear this when setting up levels/dialing it in before hitting record. i guess if you're tracking yourself that makes it a bit more difficult, but then just record->playback->adjust 1176->repeat until it sounds safe to print.

my experience with 1176's of all colors and vintages is that they are more than fast enough to do 4-6db of limiting when tracking and have the grab be unimposing. works great on vocals, gives 'em a nice sheen.

i do agree with the OP that 1176's can mellow a sound, this gets back to the squishy thing. but when they're set up with a fast release, and especially if they're being driven hard, they get downright edgy.

i adore 1176's, apparently at least two other people feel differently... i see no problem with that. if it gets to 3, though, then we got a problem...

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Guru

dfegadanother wank thread

Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
dfegadanother wank thread

my thought exactly.. my thought on this whole subject is:

I mean c'mon if you don't like 1176's I don't like you heh
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
if you don't like 1176's I don't like you heh
LOL!!!heh
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nicky is actually the wife of a fellow gearslut. She's just mad because he's been spending too much time in the studio (and on GS). The other night she peaked into the studio and saw him twistin' knobs on his 1176 and now we're all paying the price. Stand firm men... it's not the first time the jealous wife of a gearslut has crept in to mess with our minds... be strong...

Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Are we wasting our time here?????

nIC
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

And another Nick that loves his Urei 1176 Blackf.
If it does nt work for you..............no problem, I dont think it is overhyped. To me it is one of the nicest tools I have.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth View Post
Are we wasting our time here?????

nIC
yeah.
I mean even if it isn't troll thread..is anybody really gaining any new knowledge here?
.. he's evidently used them enough.
you can talk circles about how cool a tracking tool it is,but at this point, is the guy really ever gonna get it?
Wankfest

Tracking with an 1176:
No, it isn't rocket science.and they don't work on everything
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

1176s don't do everything, but if I could choose only one compressor type to have on hand during tracking or mixing it'd probebly be an 1176 REV E.

I can only think of a Neve 33609j (or any 33609 rev) as maybe a substitute in a hypothetical "desert island" situation.

I worked in a room daily for four years and only had two 33609s, two 1176s and a four DynamItes.
I mixed a lot of good stuff in A LOT of styles!
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah.
..is anybody really gaining any new knowledge here
...obviously high end guys won't gain any knowledge (note that I didn't post in high end)...the intention was for mid to low level guys thinking harder about spending hard earned money on a new piece of gear for their project studios...of course an 1176 has useful applications...but every good studio (where you should be doing mixes anyway)has one. So I feel it would be more appropriate for project studios to buy something more useful for tracking...in the end there just seemed to be a lot of alpha dogging and cock blocking going on.....not sure if anyone gained anything...although it did help me weed out some of the guys I woud never take advice from. Thanks for that.

Nick
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
...the intention was for mid to low level guys thinking harder about spending hard earned money on a new piece of gear for their project studios... So I feel it would be more appropriate for project studios to buy something more useful for tracking...

i think that's a well-reasoned and sound bit of advice. the thing is, it only bears a remote resemblence to what you actually said in your initial post.

rereading your first post, you made no mention of project studios, you said it was 'completely useless' for tracking, and you said it was 'an average piece, at best.' i think it's pretty predictable that such a strongly presented opinion, which in essence tells a lot of people that what they currently think, believe, and practice is wrong, will be met with equal force in return.

i think if you had started with what you said above, the whole thread would've gone very differently. but in all fairness, you were the first to make a blanket dismissal of a lot of people's opinions, straight out of the gate, full steam ahead. iow, you went straight for the cock; a lot of guys simply responded in kind.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i think that's a well-reasoned and sound bit of advice. the thing is, it only bears a remote resemblence to what you actually said in your initial post.

rereading your first post, you made no mention of project studios, you said it was 'completely useless' for tracking, and you said it was 'an average piece, at best.' i think it's pretty predictable that such a strongly presented opinion, which in essence tells a lot of people that what they currently think, believe, and practice is wrong, will be met with equal force in return.

i think if you had started with what you said above, the whole thread would've gone very differently. but in all fairness, you were the first to make a blanket dismissal of a lot of people's opinions, straight out of the gate, full steam ahead. iow, you went straight for the cock; a lot of guys simply responded in kind.

gregoire
del
ubk
fair enough...but really the point is...there are so many posts about how it's the cat's ass and IMO it's not...that doesn't make me an "idiot" or "dickhead" or unable to use a compressor..not offended... interesting to see how people react to honesty
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
...the intention was for mid to low level guys thinking harder about spending hard earned money on a new piece of gear for their project studios
It seems in your initial post, the intention was to tell anyone who'll listen[including mid to low level guys] that you couldn't get it to work to your liking and that it totally sucks for tracking.
Quote:
...of course an 1176 has useful applications
yep
Quote:
...but every good studio (where you should be doing mixes anyway)has one.
According to who?
I know guys that mix great sounding records at their home studios with plugs.
no 1176's in sight..[well,maybe the plug in version..however real 1176's were probably used in the tracking stagesheh]
..with the latest record industry model, indie and major budgets are shrinking .going to a studio with fancy outboard,etc is not always an option.

Quote:
So I feel it would be more appropriate for project studios to buy something more useful for tracking
Maybe an 1176 isn't appropriate for your setup.
how do you know whats appropriate for project studios in general?
I certainly don't.
everyone has different requirements/ tastes.
Quote:
...in the end there just seemed to be a lot of alpha dogging and cock blocking going on.....not sure if anyone gained anything...although it did help me weed out some of the guys I woud never take advice from. Thanks for that.

Nick

Yeah.any advice I could give is probably worthless to you anyways.
seems you've got it all figured out.
..guess you can put me on your ignore list now.
good luck

Old 10th September 2007
Mur
Here for the gear

1176 become popular for the convenience of not having to calibrate and replace tubes ..on paper the idea was attractive to studios. But if the transister version was indeed better than the tube version it replaced, you'd have someone, somewhere, wanting to trade-up from a 175 to a 1176 ..but hell will freeze over before that ever happens.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you read my post earlier on you'd see that in 1976 we did exactly what you said would be crazy. We bought two blue stripe UREI 1176s that largely replaced two UA 175s,
We still had the 175s, but we quit using them as much.

Now, if you think that we in a frame of mind where we were ant-tube in favor of solid stae (which MANY people were) you are wrong.
We had a UA 16 X 3 console that had close to ONE HUNDRED 12ax7a tubes glowing away.

While the 175s sound pretty interesting in retrospect (I just mixed some 1" 8 track material cut using them) they were 'fuzzy" and rolled off the high end as they compressed.
You wouldn't have wanted to strap them across your 2-mix or anything bussed.
We constantly had them at UREI being repaired and calibrated.
In fact, this is why we replaced them with the 1176s.

I had these same 175s as late as 1988 and eventually sold them to Dan Alexander for $350.00 a piece.
I had one of them re-tubed and calibrated, but it just wasn't that usefull.

It wasn't yet fashionable to have tube gear in 1988, so away they went.
I think we took the $700.00 they netted and bought another Lexicon PCM42.

So, a 175 is not "better" than a 1176.
In fact, it is quite limited in use compared to the 1176.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

As a mid/low level engineer with less than $10,000 in gear, I gotta say that the MC77 has dramtically improved my overall sound. It's also made my mixing time a lot shorter due to having great sounds while tracking. I'd highly recommend one. The MC77 is damn near the best investment i've made next to my Focal Solo 6's.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
According to who?
I know guys that mix great sounding records at their home studios with plugs.
no 1176's in sight..[well,maybe the plug in version..however real 1176's were probably used in the tracking stagesheh]
..with the latest record industry model, indie and major budgets are shrinking .going to a studio with fancy outboard,etc is not always an option.

Maybe an 1176 isn't appropriate for your setup.
how do you know whats appropriate for project studios in general?
I certainly don't.
everyone has different requirements/ tastes.

any advice I could give is probably worthless to you anyways.
seems you've got it all figured out.
..guess you can put me on your ignore list now.
good luck

well put....and....of course I have it all figured out! Don't you know who I think I am?

Nick
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm laughing a lot at this thread... heh

opinions, opinions, opinions. If you take the 'Pi' out, you have 'Onions'.

I love onions in salads, kebabs, burgers... GREAT vegetable IMO. Opinions?
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
well put....and....of course I have it all figured out! Don't you know who I think I am?

Nick

you're even dumber then you think we think you are......
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

The 1176 is just an other TOOL. We have toolboxes (our racks) with many tools in them. All of these tools work right if you know how and when to use them. It is a fact that by saying that the 1176 only makes guitar tracks muddy and squishy, you simply are not understanding when or how to use this tool. PERIOD.
Its that simple.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now, if you think that we in a frame of mind where we were ant-tube in favor of solid stae (which MANY people were) you are wrong.
We had a UA 16 X 3 console that had close to ONE HUNDRED 12ax7a tubes glowing away.
Has nothing to do with what I think. I was just sayin' that studios switched to non-tube because of maintenance and cost. The sales pitch in trade mags boasted time/cost/money savings of solid-state. They couldn't boast improved sound, for obvious reasons.
Old 10th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

definitely "Moan Zone" material.

boo hoo. You don't like the same gear as others.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
that's cool..however you still haven't explained (like I have) the basis for your opinion...which is proving my point that people just say they like something because some hot shot said it...I didn't say it was a bad piece of gear, just overhyped and useless for tracking...
Christ, man. Can't you just not like it, and leave it at that? You're not listening to what anyone's saying and throwing out what amounts to flame-bait. I don't have an opinion on the unit itself but you strike me as being a pretty dense person.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just got my first new 1176. Besides all the usual tricks it's famous for, I think It's the finest tracking comp I've ever used.

4:1 with not too much input gain, fast release med attack, just shaving 2 to 4dB off when tracking vocals (all I've used it on properly so far!) its just wonderful & I'm saving for my second!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Just got my first new 1176. Besides all the usual tricks it's famous for, I think It's the finest tracking comp I've ever used.

4:1 with not too much input gain, fast release med attack, just shaving 2 to 4dB off when tracking vocals (all I've used it on properly so far!) its just wonderful & I'm saving for my second!
Cool.
check out the Purple one..bad assthumbsup
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool.
check out the Purple one..bad assthumbsup
Yeah I did do, but I can get the UA much cheaper here in the UK!
Cheers for the reply though!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everybody, I'm I alone in thinking that the 1176 is way overhyped and almost completely useless for tracking...the only thing that it gives you is something cool on a bass when using the "4 on the floor" setting and even that gets boring after one song. Keep in mind I'm not talking mixing.......I tracked with one for a year and found that the only reason I was using it was because it was there in my chain....didn't do a damn thing ....except maybe give a cruddy muddy squishy sound to some guitars that had to be redone....I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it is a stand out peice of gear...average really...anyone with me?

Nick

P.S. absolutely the worst compressor on a snare track :0)
yeah! they totally suck! Man...you need to get rid of that thing. Hell, I will do ya a favor and take it off your hands for $100.00. I might even pay shipping. Just give me your pay pal address.

Forgive me for not reading this whole thread. If someone else has already tried this tact.... oh well..
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Ok... Now I really do think the one your using might be broken.

I would definitely say that these are edgy sounding. They do have a bit of grit if you push them and that's what makes them cool. I love them most on heavily compressed drum room mics. They're also great on a wealth of other things though like bass, vocals, and guitars (probably in that order... for me at least). They definitely have their own character though and it should be immediately apparent unless a) you don't know what you're listening for or b) yours IS, in fact, broken.

I've bought and sold a lot of gear over the years but these have found a long-standing (read: permanent) space in my rack. They're a great flavor and while some people may talk about them just because of "the name", I can only imagine that even more people USE them because they know they're an awesome tool.

Quote:
....I'm very familiar with the sound of it and I think oppositely that it doesn't give an edge...it mellows...which is alright...just not the cats ass everyone thinks it is.....for a familiar sound for it's price, I would get 3 sm 57's and 2 421's...a lot more useful for tracking than an 1176...or maybe I don't know what I'm doing......
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Someone puts up a well-maintained vintage U47 thru a vintage 1073 and it doesn’t sound like their fav records. Of course at that point it's the gear. It can't be the engineer or the singer. Over hyped pieces?

Me thinks this thread is tapped.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search