The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Way Over Hyped Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
P.S. absolutely the worst compressor on a snare track :0)
The 1176 attack is really too fast for drums...even at it's slowest setting. Unless your intent was to lop off the attack.

But of course you knew that, right?
Old 9th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
I track vocals all the time with an 1176 and it sounds friggin great. Sometimes I'll even slam the hell out of it while tracking because I love the way it sounds, so why not commit? Then during mixing, my job is mostly already done, the vocal just sits in the mix already without me having to do much else.

As they say, different strokes. So Nick, while YOU may think the 1176 is useless, that doesn't mean that's the case for everybody else. The rest of us will continue to make great sounding records with them, thank you very much.
Old 9th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwinston123 View Post
Hey guys I really think apple pie is way over hyped...I just can't eat it most of the time...except maybe on every other saturday...I mean blackberry pie is way better.....who else thinks apple pie sucks...and don't even tell me it's good because I won't believe you....

P.S. worst pie ever.
Totally. Anyone who eats apple pie is just a brainwashed fool who's just following the herd. Everybody knows that pecan pie is where it's at.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

you can buy an apple pie for $5 guys...this is about giving out real info on expensive gear that a lot of people suggest to always use in your overdubbing chain...
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
The 1176 attack is really too fast for drums...even at it's slowest setting. Unless your intent was to lop off the attack.

But of course you knew that, right?

thanks flea....you have posted so many important , educated and well thought out ideas on this subject...it's gonna take me a while to absorb all that you are offering....thank you so much!
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks flea....you have posted so many important , educated and well thought out ideas on this subject...it's gonna take me a while to absorb all that you are offering....thank you so much!
You're very welcome....but I'm afraid I'm too late to help you on this regard, seeing as you sold your 1176 after it sucked off the transients on your snare and ruined your track---which since you tracked with it (as opposed to mixing), you could not undo. What a bummer.

Sorry you didn't know about the t-bridge either...an honest mistake as it's not mentioned in all the hype you've read about.

I'm sure that 1176 found a good home though.

How's that 1176 hater club coming along?
Old 9th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
you can buy an apple pie for $5 guys...this is about giving out real info on expensive gear that a lot of people suggest to always use in your overdubbing chain...

Um, hate to tell you, but plenty of us here HAVE given out real info about how to use the piece of gear. Just because YOU disagree doesn't mean squat, all it means is YOU have a different opinion, which you've made abundantly clear.

So, you've asked what others like so much about the 1176, lots of us have given you the answer. So what more are you looking for here? It just seems now that your goal is to try and convince the rest of us that your opinion is the correct one. Don't hold your breath.

So now that that's out of the way, who here thinks apple pie is totally overrated for being able to blow really stinky farts? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about when it comes time to take a dump, but during the pre-dump phase I can think of lots of other pies that really make my rump sing way better....
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Apple pie only taste good on the inputs.

It doesn't taste good on the output.

That's why apple pie sucks.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Nickynicknick Way Over Hyped

Hey everybody, I'm I alone in thinking that the Nickynicknick is way overhyped and almost completely useless for posting...the only posts that he gives you is something poorly worded and misspelled using his “fell on the floor” keyboard setting and even that gets boring after one thread. Keep in mind I'm not talking about just this thread.......I’ve read his posts for a year and found that the only reason I was reading them was because it was on my computer screen....didn't learn a damn thing ....except maybe to give a cruddy muddy squishy feeling to my brain ....I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think he’s a stand out member of the forum...average really...anyone with me?

Damon

P.S. He’s absolutely the worst poster on a gearslutz thread :0)
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
.... I love my 1176 so much I sucked it off ....

Sorry you didn't know about the salty balls feature either...an honest mistake as it's not mentioned in all the hype you've read about.
.....ummmm....OK.......
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
Hey everybody, I'm I alone in thinking that the Nickynicknick is way overhyped and almost completely useless for posting...the only posts that he gives you is something poorly worded and misspelled using his “fell on the floor” keyboard setting and even that gets boring after one thread. Keep in mind I'm not talking about just this thread.......I’ve read his posts for a year and found that the only reason I was reading them was because it was on my computer screen....didn't learn a damn thing ....except maybe to give a cruddy muddy squishy feeling to my brain ....I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think he’s a stand out member of the forum...average really...anyone with me?

Damon

P.S. He’s absolutely the worst poster on a gearslutz thread :0)
I've only been here a month...what keyboard thing?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
.....ummmm....OK.......
That's you best you can do, make up fake quotes?

(for anyone who didn't notice, I didn't say what he quoted....bored little nicky modified my words).

I might be man enough to not really care, but why don't you continue this trend with some other posters disagreeing with you and let me know how that works out.

Unfortunately for me I'm too old to know everything like you do.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've only been here a month...what keyboard thing?
But it feels like a year.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Unfortunately for me I'm too old to know everything like you do.
just a little taste of your own medicine...everyone else isn't hell bent on cutting me down personally..you obviously disagree...why are you getting personal....I'm talking gear here...obviously not a popular opinion...who cares?! be nice or FO please.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is it really necessary to have this much hostility, especially on the eve of NFL Opening Sunday, which should be an occasion of much joy and generosity (like Christmas Eve)?

Seriously, the guy doesn't like the compressor . . . who cares? A thousand men's treasure is one man's turd. Big deal . . . how many time on this site does a piece of gear, that yesterday you would have sworn Jesus Christ himself would have been using had he been an engineer, become chopped liver overnight?

Granted, hating the 1176ln is a new one on me, but everyone has their opinion. If it's not useful to someone, it's not useful to someone. Let's cut the guy some slack here.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
just a little taste of your own medicine...everyone else isn't hell bent on cutting me down personally..you obviously disagree...why are you getting personal....I'm talking gear here...obviously not a popular opinion...who cares?! be nice or FO please.
Really?

You're the nice guy?

Please show me 1 post of mine in which I was cutting you down personally before YOU did.

In case you don't know, it would be a post of mine before you cut me down personally by saying I 'can't read'.

Even so, I thought I was rather civil compared to you and your version of 'nice'.

Besides, since you PM'd me about how funny I really was, I figured you'd enjoy more of this entertainment.

BTW, PM'ing me and calling me names is uncalled for...that's not 'nice'. Grow up.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c View Post
Is it really necessary to have this much hostility, especially on the eve of NFL Opening Sunday, which should be an occasion of much joy and generosity (like Christmas Eve)?

Seriously, the guy doesn't like the compressor . . . who cares? A thousand men's treasure is one man's turd. Big deal . . . how many time on this site does a piece of gear, that yesterday you would have sworn Jesus Christ himself would have been using had he been an engineer, become chopped liver overnight?

Granted, hating the 1176ln is a new one on me, but everyone has their opinion. If it's not useful to someone, it's not useful to someone. Let's cut the guy some slack here.
But he does like it....says it's wonderful in mixing...just not tracking, hence my and everyone else’s confusion.

If he didn't like it at all, then that would be a totally different matter. He has yet to explain why a compressor....any compressor, can be wonderful while mixing yet suck in tracking.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I don't remember where but I read a quote.

"show me an engineer who doesn't like a piece of gear and I'll show you an engineer who doesn't know how to use it".
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
explain why a compressor....any compressor, can be wonderful while mixing yet suck in tracking.
well flea....even though I don't like you...I have to say....that is a very good question..there's probably some good opinions on this...you obviously don't trust mine, so I won't waste your time.

Nick

P.S. Thanks everybody for responses....it was mostly fun
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
He has yet to explain why a compressor....any compressor, can be wonderful while mixing yet suck in tracking.
Going from wonderful to flat out sucking, from mix application to tracking, does seem strangely drastic. I can't imagine a piece like that, but then again, what do I know?

I do know several engineers who love the 160 VU in mix applications, but aren't terribly fond of it while tracking. I personally dig it in both apps. So I guess to each his own . . . as odd as certain opinions may be.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
there's probably some good opinions on this...you obviously don't trust mine, so I won't waste your time.

Nick
Don't blame him, really.

There has been a rash of newbies lately, coming in and asking 'questions' seemingly just to cause trouble or gain attention.

We can do without this sort of thing.
It doesn't add much to the site, doesn't educate anyone and pretty useless all round.

Was the point of your question *really* because you wanted to know what other people thought, to weight up both sides of the argument and perhaps reconsider your position?
Or was it to create a polarising environment, stir things up a bit and get some attention?

As an impartial observer, I'd have to say the latter.
Whilst we, as members of the site, can't stop anyone from posting useless questions, I am finding myself less and less interested in participating and/or helping people, answering questions.
I've watched GS go from being simply the best place on the planet for audio pro's to congregate to being what it is today, which is still a great place but with a much higher signal to noise ratio, with more bull****, bitchslapping and childishness.
Some of you really need to grow up, grow a pair and start acting like men.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwinston123 View Post
Hey guys I really think apple pie is way over hyped...I just can't eat it most of the time...except maybe on every other saturday...I mean blackberry pie is way better.....who else thinks apple pie sucks...and don't even tell me it's good because I won't believe you....

P.S. worst pie ever.

haha. good one
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

An 1176 has 4 knobs and some switches. If you know what you're doing with those knobs and switches, it's one of the best compressors ever made (assuming it's an original in proper condition).

If you don't think an 1176 is a great tracking compressor, then:

A. You have a broken one.

or

B. You don't know how to work it.

If neither of the above is the case, and you still think it sounds bad, then you should probably be a plumber or something.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
new UA and 6176....have used Uri in the early 90's secretly didn't like them then either esp on snare tracked or mixed....
the words you use to describe the sound of an 1176 is about exactly the opposite of what my experience is. i can't recognise a real 1176 in your description whatsoever.
i think you've never heard a real vintage 1176 within the first 3000 units. the stuff you're mentioning are clones. it's like comparing a Toyota with an old Mercedes. they're both cars, but...

tom
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
An 1176 has 4 knobs and some switches. If you know what you're doing with those knobs and switches, it's one of the best compressors ever made (assuming it's an original in proper condition).

If you don't think an 1176 is a great tracking compressor, then:

A. You have a broken one.

or

B. You don't know how to work it.

If neither of the above is the case, and you still think it sounds bad, then you should probably be a plumber or something.
A...no B!....wait.....A?........B?.....****, I can't make up my mind...I know. I'll strap an 1176 over it....that'll help me make up my mind!...ooooh now I feel like all my immediate thoughts are slappy basketball thoughts and the rest of my thoughts are just mellower than before...isn't this supposed to be awesome....It must be
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think maybe you should off load the 1176 and try something else. You should get a good price for your 1176, maybe try the new Neve comps or API.

nIC
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

This has to be the longest running trainwreck in the history of time.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
A...no B!....wait.....A?........B?.....****, I can't make up my mind...I know. I'll strap an 1176 over it....that'll help me make up my mind!...ooooh now I feel like all my immediate thoughts are slappy basketball thoughts and the rest of my thoughts are just mellower than before...isn't this supposed to be awesome....It must be

Cool. I'd go for the plumber gig then. Seems like a good fit.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Was the point of your question *really* because you wanted to know what other people thought, to weight up both sides of the argument and perhaps reconsider your position?
Or was it to create a polarising environment, stir things up a bit and get some attention?
You've chimed in with:

Quote:
I think you've answered my question.
Would you mind tagging the thread with 'pointless', 'idiotic' and 'dickhead', please?
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

Always stunned by two things while reading through forum arguments:
1. The posters for posting "I want the last word" again and again.
2. Myself for continuing to read (due to disbelief, must be a twisted "high" sort of thing, addicted to feeling of disbelief).
A lose-lose situation, no question.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search