The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Way Over Hyped Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
P.S. thanks for all the replys...I still haven't seen a solid reason for tracking through one
Because sometimes, it just makes my tracks sound good..

Now go ahead, tell me I'm wrong!! heh
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everybody, I'm I alone in thinking that the 1176 is way overhyped and almost completely useless for tracking...
What are you tracking? It's probably useless for classical music or New Age Whale Singing.
Or it's just useless to YOU which is fine. Why should everbody like the same things?

At the moment, I can't get enough of my LA-3A (reissue). I absolutely love it on most anything, yet I keep reading posts where people hate the sound/hate the reissue/etc So what? If it makes me get dfferent results than the next guy down the road then all the better....

The only problem with your post is that you deem the 1176 'hyped' just because YOU don't like it.

Another example: I'm a fan of Beyer mics, the M160, M260 and M201 are in constant use here. So I recently got a M88 too, a mic that a lot of folks cream over. I've tried it on all kinds of things - vocals, kick, guitar amps, acoustic guitar, upright bass, and not in one case did I like it. So does this make the M88 an 'overhyped' or bad mic? No at all, it just doesn't work for ME so I'm gonna sell it. Big deal.

I suspect that you fell victim to your own sense of 'hype' when you bought the 1176 in the first place and maybe expected miracles.

And a hint in closing: Try it on vocals with slowest attack-fastest release (full left and right position) This gave me great results especially for female voices, IF the source was good obviously.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Is this thread still going?

Bottom line is this, if you like the 1176, then buy one. If you don't like them and think they are over hyped, then don't.

It's really very simple, everyone has their favorite and not so favorite pieces of gear.

I have owned many pieces that I was not happy with, some came highly regarded. I didn't start a thread about them, I just sold them and moved on.

Maybe your trying to make a statement, looking for your 15 minutes of fame or showing us your rebel side? I don't know and personally, I don't care. I come here for opinions and information, not equipment bashing.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

1176 is just one of the many flavour of ice that I like to call my favourate

J.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I didn't read through the 3 pages of posts.

Half of me is thinking, "what an absurd thread!". The other half kind of sees the point. I use the 1176 on room mics and the occasional guitar track when tracking. On the mix I use it on vocals and bass sometimes. I do think that the 4 button in settting in unmistakable in what it does to things.

All of that being said, I have pluged into it many a time and said to myself "this thing is useless." At that particular moment in time for what I was doing, it was.

Look at the Lord Alge brothers. Chris uses a ton of them on every mix and Tom once said something to the effect of, they are overused and they sort of do one thing.

That's the great thing about audio. Whatever works. Since I upgraded my PT software, I've been enjoying some of the newer (and updated) plugin compressors. Never thought I'd say it but I'm actually starting to like the sound of them. Opinions changes and ears get more keen. Sometimes I'll get hooked on a compressor that I never used to like. Funny how that works.

-Aaron
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
And keep input levels about 64% 24 BIT.
Logarithmic or linear scale? heh
Linear would mean something around -4dB (as -6dB would be 50%, considering 23 BIT word has 50% of 24BIT)
Logarithmic would be around -51dB (on a 144dB scale), which is roughly 16BIT.

Seriously, this advice does not make any sense!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Logarithmic or linear scale? heh
Linear would mean something around -4dB (as -6dB would be 50%, considering 23 BIT word has 50% of 24BIT)
Logarithmic would be around -51dB (on a 144dB scale), which is roughly 16BIT.
Seriously, this advice does not make any sense!

Around -10 peak on the Pro tools meter. If you have to normalize a low track it will be 64% approx. I tried 68.7% and my master fader gets slammed after about 20 tracks. And the 1176 NEVER distorts at the levels required to hit the input of my 002r.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

hi,

i'll gladly trade you a presonus bluemax compressor for your 1176. the bluemax is 2 channels/stereo, so it must be TWICE as useful as that crappy ole 1176

i'll even pay shipping. deal?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everybody, I'm I alone in thinking that the 1176 is way overhyped and almost completely useless for tracking...the only thing that it gives you is something cool on a bass when using the "4 on the floor" setting and even that gets boring after one song. Keep in mind I'm not talking mixing.......I tracked with one for a year and found that the only reason I was using it was because it was there in my chain....didn't do a damn thing ....except maybe give a cruddy muddy squishy sound to some guitars that had to be redone....I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it is a stand out peice of gear...average really...anyone with me?

Nick

P.S. absolutely the worst compressor on a snare track :0)

Interesting thread....

Can't think of a single piece of gear that had more to do with the way we eat, drink and **** our modern pop/rock productions. It's attitude and balls are second to none. You could label your life pre/post 1176 experience.

Best,

//Jamzone
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

It doesn't end up being used every time, but it's definitely being tried out every time, because when it's the right comp for the track, it's unbeatable!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I use 1176's or MC77s on all my git tracks, some bass and vocals. All I can say is if you aren't getting killer results then have an eng who knows the unit teach you how to get those results. This compressor is one of the most rock n roll pieces in history. With that said, it's only a compressor. Don't expect any single piece of gear to take you where the source isn't.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

i like to use it for tracking because it controls levels and makes it easier to not peak out.Also the 1176 is used more for effect.It gives an edge and brings your tracks to the front without being overbearing.I wonder if you are overdoing it while tracking .Do yo have something better to use?
You have been hearing it for many years on many recordings
Old 8th September 2007
Deleted User
I seem to recall when Richard Dodd was guest moderator - His standard response to almost every "how did you track...." question was: 1176 at 20:1, slow attack and fast release. Seemed he liked it enough to track drums, guitars, bass and vocals for Tom Petty and other multi-platinum selling artists.

And wasn't Jimmy Page's guitar tracked through 1176's more than a few times? I remember reading that the distortion on Black Dog was actually two 1176's in series, cranked all the way up...

Anyone of course is free to dislike such classic and wildly popular sounds. But if you can't hype one of the most successful tracking/mixing compressors of all time, then what can you hype?
Old 8th September 2007
Quote:
whatever dude...you really have issues don't you?....as a matter of fact I have no idea what a t-bridge version is...let me guess.... it's the version that makes everything sound f**%#ing HUGE during tracking!!...that's it!!! I was wrong all along...

.....anyway boys thanks. It's been fun. Gotta go to bed. Cheers.

Nick

P.S. I don't have one anymore....remember....I don't like it!
Please read here okay?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/1031309-post2.html

I don't want to write it again.

So as far as tracking with the 1176, Nick you said you wanted one example of why anyone would track with one..... as DeBasement said, Page recorded the guitars for one of the best rock songs of all time, Back Dog, with two 1176's cranked.

There you have it, your one reason to use an 1176 for tracking, can we put this tread to bed yet? What a bunch of crap, if you like a tool use it, if you don't like it don't use it.. it's simply that easy.
Old 8th September 2007
Oh and Nick, DeBasement is right here as well.... if you want ONE reason that an 1176 is useful for tracking and or mixing here it is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBasement View Post
I seem to recall when Richard Dodd was guest moderator - His standard response to almost every "how did you track...." question was: 1176 at 20:1, slow attack and fast release. Seemed he liked it enough to track drums, guitars, bass and vocals for Tom Petty and other multi-platinum selling artists.
Richard Dodd has probably forgotten more about recording than the whole body of folks here at Gearslutz combined currently knows. The guy is an amazing engineer and seems like a great great guy. He uses almost nothing but an 1176 on all his tracks. Is he "wrong"? His discography kind of speaks for it's self and pokes a pretty big hole in your theory doesn't it?

Oh and for the record, I track with a 1176 on my vocals and bass for almost EVERY session.... does that make me wrong? Hardly.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBasement View Post

And wasn't Jimmy Page's guitar tracked through 1176's more than a few times? I remember reading that the distortion on Black Dog was actually two 1176's in series, cranked all the way up...

Anyone of course is free to dislike such classic and wildly popular sounds. But if you can't hype one of the most successful tracking/mixing compressors of all time, then what can you hype?
I don't think Richard Dodd used that setting on every tracktutt but i could be wrong
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
for a familiar sound for it's price, I would get 3 sm 57's and 2 421's...a lot more useful for tracking than an 1176...or maybe I don't know what I'm doing......
Totally agree...usually I'll insert 3 SM57's after my mic pre to control dynamics, then at mixdown I'll patch in a couple of 421's just to give it that CLA sound.

Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRadio View Post
Is this thread a joke?

It's like walking into a bar at 4am and yelling "Who wants to f&*$ing fight?"
ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa true!
Old 8th September 2007
Mur
Here for the gear

NickyNick brings up a good point -cause back in the seventies and eighties when 1176s were in every studio, we never went "wow, cool ...crank that thing!" ..that didn't happen, nobody said anything or even cared ..1176 was just a boring utility tool. It was only after the magazine interview where it was said Page's guitar went into a 1176 ..thats when the buzz started. But for sure, 1176 is nothing to write home about ...the main problem being, it lacks tubes.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Totally agree...usually I'll insert 3 SM57's after my mic pre to control dynamics, then at mixdown I'll patch in a couple of 421's just to give it that CLA sound.

...LOL.... well done.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

...because Jimmy Page tracked through one once is an OK reason to check it out but doesn't mean it's the ****....there were other reasons black dog sounds good (starting with his playing and the riff)...here's the thing that's what Jimmy did....tell me what you are doing withh 1176 in tracking that works really well....some say touching vocals slightly is nice and I agree....but that is a far cry from it being a "must have" that you should track everything with...again I'm not saying it's a bad piece of gear...just way hyped and not as essential as lots make it out to be.

Nick
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post
NickyNick brings up a good point -cause back in the seventies and eighties when 1176s were in every studio, we never went "wow, cool ...crank that thing!" ..that didn't happen, nobody said anything or even cared ..1176 was just a boring utility tool. .
That's 'cos there was no internet back then.

Now they have an 1176 plug in.

Nickynick should give the hardware version a try.

I kid I kid
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post
NickyNick brings up a good point -cause back in the seventies and eighties when 1176s were in every studio, we never went "wow, cool ...crank that thing!" ..that didn't happen, nobody said anything or even cared ..1176 was just a boring utility tool. It was only after the magazine interview where it was said Page's guitar went into a 1176 ..thats when the buzz started. But for sure, 1176 is nothing to write home about ...the main problem being, it lacks tubes.

Tubes...

Most overrated piece of audio gear ever to be talked about on this forum.
When tube gear does what it's supposed to do, it does nothing.

It's transformers it's all about. And FET. Thats WARMTH!!!!

Best,

///Jamzone
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
....but that is a far cry from it being a "must have" that you should track everything with...again I'm not saying it's a bad piece of gear...just way hyped and not as essential as lots make it out to be.

Nick
Now it's not a bad piece? Are you changing your tune?

Quote:
...useless for tracking...

...didn't do a damn thing ....except maybe give a cruddy muddy squishy sound to some guitars that had to be redone.

....I guess you can't read ...the thread is 1176 sucks for tracking.

I think it's useless to track with....
So we go from that to; "that is a far cry from it being a "must have" that you should track everything with.."

So this is what you thought?

Wow. I don't even know what to say about that.

How about this challenge: What is YOUR 'must have' compressor that YOU should track EVERYTHING through? If your motive here is to de-hype the 1176 (which btw I never thought was sooooo hyped up until you came along), then please enlighten us on the compressor that deserves the hype you claim the 1176 doesn't deserve. The compressor that is a 'must have' and everything should be tracked with.

Quote:

...or maybe I don't know what I'm doing......
Or saying
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

nicky nic
You have to remember the 1176 is very powerful.Some people will just run something thru it and not even have the input up far enough to show gain reduction.Then again some use the 4 button mode for all she has.stike
I have been wanting one for a while and picked up the software version .I don't want to be without it for what iam doing.Middle of the road rock
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Right now I am that kid in the truck in the old R.E.M. video listening to her dad singing an old country song and inwardly screaming stop stop stop stop stop.

So are we done yet?

Please?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
Right now I am that kid in the truck in the old R.E.M. video listening to her dad singing an old country song and inwardly screaming stop stop stop stop stop.

So are we done yet?

Please?

Who's forcing you???
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
that's cool..however you still haven't explained (like I have) the basis for your opinion...which is proving my point that people just say they like something because some hot shot said it...I didn't say it was a bad piece of gear, just overhyped and useless for tracking...

Back to this...

I have been engineering professionally since 1975 and I started with two UA175a units.
When we go a pair of blue stripe 1176s to replace them I was in heaven!
The UA 175s distorted easily and the high end rolled off as they compressed, but recently I transferred some multitracks to DAW and re-mixed some stuff I did way back then.
The bass (a '71 P-bass with Roto-Sounds, D.I.'d) sounded AWESOME! The vocals were pretty cool, too!

If you are looking for your compressors to add "magic" to your tracks then you probebly don't have enough "magic" in the performances!

In the world I presently record/mix in I want pieces that are intuitive and achieve great results QUICKLY. I want performances and don't want to play with/tweak gear.

A very good or great musician will sound good regardless of what compressor you use if you know how to use what you have!

I have rcorded hundreds of great vocals tracks, bass tracks, atc... with 1176s and the key was that I was able to get a great sound QUICKLY and concentrate on performances.

To me, great gear is stuff that sounds good with little or no tweaking in the heat of battle. These are the classic pieces.

....and NO I'd avoid using one on a snare or kick drum, but I could make it work if I had to. I have used worse! Bass, vocals, KYBDS (electric piano...)

Like I said.... it doesn't require hype... it's just a F'ing good compressor in many settings.
It'll compress great performances and ****ty perfomances equally well!

I have used 1176s since 1975/6 and bought Led Zepplin Four when it hit the stands.
I didn't know that was a pair of 1176s on Black Dog, but then again... I haven't wanted to emulate that particular sound very often.
See? The hype didn't impress me.

It is hard to say on a site like Gearslutz, but it ain't the gear that makes great recordings folks!

In fcat, I want the gear to be "transparent" and not interfer AT ALL with the performance! This has been my goal in the studio for years.

There is dicking around with gear and there is making great performances.
These are two different disciplines although they often occur at once.
The performance ultimately has to win doesn't it?
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Hey guys I really think apple pie is way over hyped...I just can't eat it most of the time...except maybe on every other saturday...I mean blackberry pie is way better.....who else thinks apple pie sucks...and don't even tell me it's good because I won't believe you....

P.S. worst pie ever.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Apple pie is totally overrated. I can't eat it every day and every hour. I wanted to use it as my main food on everything but it tastes terrible even though I think it can taste very good under the correct lighting.

I also think Snap-on wrenches are very overrated. They're only good at taking bolts off, but not putting them on. Mac wrenches are much better at screwing bolts on, but not taking them off. Snap-on wrenches totally suck, but I agree they can be wonderful at unscrewing bolts. So I need 2 complete sets of wrenches...Snap-on for taking bolts off and Mac for screwing them in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search