The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Way Over Hyped Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 8th September 2007
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Improv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
I believe it has many wonderful mixing applications....but tracking....way overrated
Ok, so if it's good for mixing, but not for tracking, isn't that really just saying that you don't like to make permanent sonic decisions early on in the recording process?

I'm not knocking you.... I tend to be the same way... get it in mostly clean, mangle it later, and I feel the 1176 is too strong a brush for this technique at the tracking stage... for me... and for you too?

I'd be curious to see the results of an impossible poll: what ratio of 1176 lovers use it for tracking vs. mixing?
Old 8th September 2007
  #32
Lives for gear
 

If the 1176 is overhyped, it's because it has somehow gained a reputation for making bad engineers sound good. Nothing will do that.
Old 8th September 2007
  #33
Lives for gear
 
stagefright13's Avatar
 

I have a 1975 twin reverb and it don't sound like ass lol! Sounds cool and clean and LOUD. But I like my Marshalls for personal stuff

The 1176's sound great on vocals AND bass guitar. And guitar for that matter. But I spend alot of time mixing Today. And actually got a snare to crack even tho the track was the worst imaginable.

Mixing old 80's stuff for A compilation CD.
Old 8th September 2007
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Ok.

What then do you prefer for a tracking compressor?

What are you compressing while tracking?

Why are compressing while tracking?

Why would it be wonderful for mixing...yet Not wonderful for tracking ?
let's see..depends on what I'm tracking...never kik/sn...usually always bass(chandler API, Distressor) depends....always lightly vocal(same as before even 737)...DBX 162 for toms overheads room if I feel like it...guitar probably no comp.......as for mixing how bout backbussing, parallel....sub the bass/kik low pass and compress just low and sub info... 2 different animals aren't they?...what's your point here? I thought you were supposed to tell me how wrong or right I am...I think you guys just don't wanna hear a solid dissenting opinion...you keep angling towards "maybe you don't know what you're doing"...guess what...I don't care.....'cause I'm right!(smiley goes here).

Nick

P.S. thanks for all the replys...I still haven't seen a solid reason for tracking through one
Old 8th September 2007
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scking View Post
If the 1176 is overhyped, it's because it has somehow gained a reputation for making bad engineers sound good. Nothing will do that.
finally someone with balls
Old 8th September 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

You still haven't explained why the 1176 is so wonderful for mixing yet not for tracking?

How bout we make life easy for you....since the 1176 is so wonderful for mixing, then use it on mixdown....not tracking.

Problem solved.
Old 8th September 2007
  #37
Lives for gear
 
nukmusic's Avatar
 

nickynicknick..

I really think you're pissing in the wind with your stupidity. Seriously. I'm one of the biggest pushers of "DON"T BELIEVE THE HYPE". Most of this stuff is all about personal tastes and personal choices. Seems like you're angry because you "Believed the hype" when you should have played with the gear for yourself. If you don't like something...that doesn't mean others won't like it.

I use/used it during tracking (MIC>>PRE >>1176>>compressor) to limit the initial peaks in the vocal. I found that this allows the compressor to work smoother and with less compressor on the vox. On some vox I didnt need the compressor at all after the 1176. But I've also done the same thing with the 160xt as a limiter.


and by the way!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/moan-...gearslutz.html


Old 8th September 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
You still haven't explained why the 1176 is so wonderful for mixing yet not for tracking?

How bout we make life easy for you....since the 1176 is so wonderful for mixing, then use it on mixdown....not tracking.

Problem solved.
....I guess you can't read ...the thread is 1176 sucks for tracking....did explain. Cheers.
Old 8th September 2007
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
....I guess you can't read ...the thread is 1176 sucks for tracking....did explain. Cheers.
I can read clearly.

You can do all those things mentioned with ANY compressor.

Why can't you answer the simple question?
Old 8th September 2007
  #40
Lives for gear
 
stagefright13's Avatar
 

Going into A DAW use your hardware at the tracking phase. And keep input levels about 64% 24 BIT. And use hardware 1176! when you track. Best time to use it. Or you will have to use Software. Just think of the finished project and track it that way!
Old 8th September 2007
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
thanks Justin...nicely put...however you guys are forgetting I said NOT MIXING...I believe it has many wonderful mixing applications....but tracking....way overrated
Just in case you forgot your own words.

How do you use the 1176 in such a wonderful way in mixing applications, yet can not use it in such a wonderful way during tracking?
Old 8th September 2007
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I can read clearly.

You can do all those things mentioned with ANY compressor.

Why can't you answer the simple question?
I think an 1176 is better suited to smearing applications in a mix and can sound good there .... I think it's useless to track with....I would use other compressors (depending what I'm going for ) to track with for character or transparency (which the 1176 is neither)...is that a simple enough answer....why don't you just say what's on your mind?....I'm here so that when people are looking for info on a piece of gear they can see all kinds of opinions. Not just the popular ones. This is what I think. I'm happy to take the criticism for it. .....still waiting for a solid reason the other way.
Old 8th September 2007
  #43
Lives for gear
 

I can see why the UA 1176 may not be desirable when tracking some sources eg. vocals. When pushed too hard the 1176 can have distortion that can sound a bit nasty, but 4:1 with 6db gain and slow attack/fastish release can work well on non percussive sources.
I use the LA3A or API 525 tracking vocals and mix using 1176LN........see where you coming from, but if the 1176 was all I had that would suite me fine.



nIC
Old 8th September 2007
  #44
SK1
Lives for gear
 
SK1's Avatar
 

Tracking vocs 4:1 fastish attack to taste, 4-6 db of comp, release to taste

maybe your hitting it too hard.


Old 8th September 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
Ok, so if it's good for mixing, but not for tracking, isn't that really just saying that you don't like to make permanent sonic decisions early on in the recording process?
nope not at all.. I love to make decisions early just never with the 1176 because it doesn't make for a good early decision...that is actually my point...there other compressors that are better suited to make early decisions...thus maybe better compressors to buy/have......
Old 8th September 2007
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Okie dokie

Then don't use it for tracking....no one's gonna kill ya.

Use your other character or transparent compressors for that.

Yet I'm still a bit mystified; if the 1176 is neither Character or transparent, then what is it?
Old 8th September 2007
  #47
Lives for gear
 
AlexLakis's Avatar
 

Really? Wow. I think the 1176 shines during tracking. Mixing too, but sheesh! Use it on damn near everything! You wanna sell me yours? I could use a stereo pair...

No offense, but I find it hard to believe that after a year of working with it that you couldn't get good results with it. I mean, I might be able to understand just not knowing what you're doing and cranking knobs and being displeased, but after a year of educated use...man...What are you going for? Have you tried other compressors/limiters for the duties you were using the 1176 for? Maybe other pres?

Was it The Chad?
Old 8th September 2007
  #48
Lives for gear
 
BLueROom's Avatar
 

Hi nick ...I hate them too, however ...I really love lighting them on fire and I will gladly pay you $100-$200 to light yours on fire. Send me your email, I'll send you a couple hundred bucks ...you send me your 1176 and I will light it on fire....um...I promise.
Old 8th September 2007
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

BTW, I'll gladly buy your fire sale 1176...as long as it's the t-bridge version.

You were using the t-bridge version, correct?
Old 8th September 2007
  #50
Lives for gear
 
stagefright13's Avatar
 

I give up
Old 8th September 2007
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Tony Shepperd's Avatar
Okay Nick, I will admit it, it's not my favorite compressor either.
IMO, it has one sound. If you're into that for being your only sound, then that's cool.

And while were at it, my 2nd least favorite compressor is the LA2A.
My 3rd least favorite is the Summit Audio

However, my favorite compressor is the Tube Tech CL1B! thumbsup

It really comes down to what's sonically right to your ears.
Does that sound work for you or can you make it work for you.
Old 8th September 2007
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
BTW, I'll gladly buy your fire sale 1176...as long as it's the t-bridge version.

You were using the t-bridge version, correct?
whatever dude...you really have issues don't you?....as a matter of fact I have no idea what a t-bridge version is...let me guess.... it's the version that makes everything sound f**%#ing HUGE during tracking!!...that's it!!! I was wrong all along...

.....anyway boys thanks. It's been fun. Gotta go to bed. Cheers.

Nick

P.S. I don't have one anymore....remember....I don't like it!
Old 8th September 2007
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Okay Nick, I will admit it, it's not my favorite compressor either.
IMO, it has one sound. If you're into that for being your only sound, then that's cool.

And while were at it, my 2nd least favorite compressor is the LA2A.
My 3rd least favorite is the Summit Audio

However, my favorite compressor is the Tube Tech CL1B! thumbsup

It really comes down to what's sonically right to your ears.
Does that sound work for you or can you make it work for you.
see...it wasn't that hard...thanks Tony...i agree la2a as well... overrated....maybe another day....
Old 8th September 2007
  #54
I liked tracking vocals (and bass) with the 1176 for a traditional rock sound. I replaced it eventually with the Cranesong STC-8 (which I recently had to sell). I liked the Cranesong best of all for both tracking and mixing in general. I don't track with a compressor right now, and that seems to be fine for my purposes, although I have to be more careful without one. I wouldn't mind owning an 1176 again. I will almost certainly buy another Cranesong. Other compressors I've liked for tracking are the distressor (voice, guitar) and the Pendulum ES-8 (very clear and clean on everything).

I'm not a pro, and I don't claim to know what I'm doing.
Old 8th September 2007
  #55
Lives for gear
 
chrispick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
see...it wasn't that hard...thanks Tony...i agree la2a as well... overrated....maybe another day....
Overrated equals "you don't like?"

To address your early query: I like the 1176 because I like the way it distorts when hit hard. I also like that it's fast, and that can be useful when tracking certain instruments (bass, for instance). I don't prefer it for all uses, although I've found it to be pretty flexible in the year-and-a-half I've owned one.

Is this info useful to you?

I don't like the sound of AC-30s for every guitar use. Many people do. Does that make it over hyped?
Old 8th September 2007
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Okay Nick, I will admit it, it's not my favorite compressor either.
IMO, it has one sound. If you're into that for being your only sound, then that's cool.

And while were at it, my 2nd least favorite compressor is the LA2A.
My 3rd least favorite is the Summit Audio

However, my favorite compressor is the Tube Tech CL1B! thumbsup

It really comes down to what's sonically right to your ears.
Does that sound work for you or can you make it work for you.
Yet he thinks it's wonderful for mixing...just not tracking.

Apparently he can't track with it to give him his mixing sound.

Can't figure that one out.
Old 8th September 2007
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
whatever dude...you really have issues don't you?....as a matter of fact I have no idea what a t-bridge version is...let me guess.... it's the version that makes everything sound f**%#ing HUGE during tracking!!...that's it!!! I was wrong all along...

.....anyway boys thanks. It's been fun. Gotta go to bed. Cheers.

Nick

P.S. I don't have one anymore....remember....I don't like it!
There's a difference and it can be heard and UA started making them with the T-bridge again.

But whatever dude....you don't like it, why is it my issue?

It's perfectly fine and normal to not like a sound of a particular gear....not my issue at all Dude.

The only thing I couldn't (and still don't) understand was your statement that it's wonderful in mixing, yet it SUCKS in tracking.

Kill me if I think that's a bit oxymoronic.
Old 8th September 2007
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
see...it wasn't that hard...thanks Tony...i agree la2a as well... overrated....maybe another day....
Oh...I didn't know all you wanted were posts that appear to agree with you.

You continually berate those that either like the 1176 or can't understand your methods of using it (correctly in mixing yet unusable in tracking?).

Then keep score on those who post that the 1176 isn't the end all box for everyone.

Sounds like you just want to start a 1176 hater group.

Let me know how that works out for you.
Old 8th September 2007
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

I can totally understand how someone who doesn't know how to use a compressor wouldn't like an 1176.heh
Old 8th September 2007
  #60
Gear Maniac
 

Hmm. Seems like a troll thread to me.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
petsematary / So much gear, so little time
4
HIGHENDONLY / The Moan Zone
5
soultrane / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
83
Nevelicious / So much gear, so little time
67
Jakob / So much gear, so little time
18

Forum Jump
Forum Jump