The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 Way Over Hyped Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRadio View Post
Is this thread a joke?

It's like walking into a bar at 4am and yelling "Who wants to f&*$ing fight?"
LOL...has to be.
Old 26th February 2015
Gear Nut

Flava flav said it best....'don't believe the hype!'

I too have never liked the 1176. Would choose just about any compressor over that one.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

If you can't find a use for an 1176, then you need to have the wax balls removed from your ears.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCatRoots View Post
Flava flav said it best....'don't believe the hype!'

I too have never liked the 1176. Would choose just about any compressor over that one.
Which rev, hardware clone, or or emulation are you talking here?

Wildly useful box in MANY applications.

I can name you 10 if you'd like.

Edit:

Thread back from the dead.

I keep missing the memo..

Right.. So.. The consensus is this particular kit is worth a damn right? Cool.

I'm gonna keep using it

Last edited by nosleepPDX; 26th February 2015 at 09:25 AM..
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Worst compressor on snare? Wow!!
That's gotta be a user error.
Old 26th February 2015
I know the trick now.

Wow, this guy with a simple insult to a loved audio tool...with poor grammar but sans any logic at all, got a huge response way back in 2007 to his post.

Perhaps, I should consider a post title like, "The U87: Meh!". I'll just keep repeating over and over to responders how I have two of em, have used them a ton, and don't think they are all that. I'll try to add a few personal attacks and defensive insults to keep things rolling.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

I know this thread is old but since the 1176 still attracts so much love and draws so many defenders all these years later - that would seem to prove the original premise of the thread wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Pop and blues, heck yes!

I don't have a Retro but have used an LA2A with my 1176 more than once.
And Thanks for answering my question.

Last edited by DougS; 26th February 2015 at 04:19 PM..
Old 26th February 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
I respect and applaud you inclination to buck the trend, develop your own opinions and be suspicious of long-established audio folklore.

That said, you're dead wrong, you fool!
My favorite post of the old time-y posts I read!

what other pieces of gear are so unanimously loved that it might create a similarly hilarious thread??

U47, LA-2A, distressor to name a few...
Old 26th February 2015
Gear Head
This thread convinced me to buy an 1176 ... well almost an 1176.
Old 26th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned3000 View Post
This thread convinced me to buy an 1176 ... well almost an 1176.
can't bit it at this price range!!!excellent!!!
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

old thread…..

if you dont know how to use this box properly (if you dont like it)- the music police should come down like the movie minority report - and take you and your gear away

Last edited by RightOnRome; 26th February 2015 at 07:48 PM..
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Saying that you think the 1176 is crap for tracking is like saying you think the Les Paul is a crap guitar for tracking. It's an opinion. It's also proof that opinions actually CAN be wrong in a bigger picture.
Old 26th February 2015
Gear Maniac

I think my WA76 sounds freakin great!
Old 3rd March 2015
Yo Mama is Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
I think my WA76 sounds freakin great!
Whateva...it's fine for mixing, but I would never use it for tracking. Just kidding.
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanathan View Post
Whateva...it's fine for mixing, but I would never use it for tracking. Just kidding.
Lol!
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

I didn't read all of this post.... But one stupid question to OP :

Are you aware that attack and release Knobs work the other way round?
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Maniac

It took me a long time to come to the "I get it now" epiphany. It's not over rated, it's a staple.
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Nut

Sounds like the classic ID 10 T problem alot of IT people face
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

My 1176 is my most beloved piece of hardware I own, and I own a lot of hardware. Plugins are very useful and I use a lot of them, but tracking through an 1176 is magic!
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaFungus View Post
hmm...i've owned an 1776...sold it after a while...because i didn't feel it was all that amazing actually
Ah yes, the 1776 Urine compressor....they are a bit pissy....

Last edited by Fleaman; 8th March 2015 at 02:55 AM..
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Ah yes, the 1776 Urine compressor....they are a bit pissy....
They fit right in with the SmeLA2A Uranus
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

It's so nice to be a budget recordist and not have to give a poopie about any of this.
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

Ressurection?
This time machine dialogue has made me smile, because I've in fact put transformerless blackface 1176 clone on nearly everything (except distorted guitars) once, main bus included. Final result sounded nutty, but still has way more dynamics then usual modern recording, due to the absence of a brickwall limiter on the mastering stage.

Yep, this is a pretty bleak time. Luckily, the schematics for topic aren't hard and it doesn't contain rare parts, so it can be cloned with great success. Personally I think altered (no transformer haze in my case) is more interesting than original.

By the way, liked the effect so much that wanted a digital compressor like this developed. Not another silly emulation, but "proudly digital" limiting compressor (limiter is the correct term, but nowdays lost the original meaning due to brickwall limiters. "Limiting amplifier" makes no sense in digital.). It has no "mojo" and no digital grit (low aliasing), and sounds totally different from 1176, but has this "insane limiting spirit" too.

Last edited by ringo_mod; 8th March 2015 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: terms
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
It's so nice to be a budget recordist and not have to give a poopie about any of this.
Even high-end'rs shouldn't give a poopie about this

Bottom line is that mixing/engineering skills trump a vintage 1176 vs (say) plugs.

Those with skills know the differences and have preferences (say 1176 vs dbx or distressor, etc.), but regardless can make a high end mix in which no one could identify what specific compressor(s) were used and on which instruments/tracks (when listening to a stereo mix).

Now, in the studio, when dialing in comps/settings on individual instruments, solo'd, etc., it's much easier to hear the differences. But if I had a pair of background vocal tracks heavily compressed with a vintage 1176, and overnight an assistant secretly took the raw uncompressed BG tracks and duplicated the comp settings the best he/she could with either a distressor or a plug, then set the levels the same (in the full mix), the next day I would likely not hear any difference unless I was hinted to it. And even then, if given the blind choice of 3 separate version; vintage 1176, distressor and plug, I'd probably fail in choosing correctly better than chance.

Even though I have a lot of high-end gear acquired over decades, I still (with my own band/projects) try to do minimalist stuff....1 mic drums (mono), into garage band through the analog mini-plug on a mac laptop, etc., to see how good I can make it w/o all my gear. Partly to challenge myself, partly to potentially impress ("wow, that sounds great! what did you use?", uhm, 1 mic into garage band on the mini-plug laptop input), and partly 'cos most all of my high end gear is not portable or easy to set up and record fast (I'm currently w/o a proper recording studio space).

But when you have many tracks, it starts to add up, and those little differences start to stack up and that begins to separate the high end mixes from those with only plugs or budget comps as the tools at hand.

If any of us were presented with a well done mix by an unknown mixer and artist, etc., and we were asked, 'how was that done', i.e., in the box? what mics? what pre amps? comps? plugs? analog mixer? etc.? Even, what kind of room? I'm pretty sure that no one here on GS could bat better than 500 on the answer....no one would have a clue.

Doesn't mean the 1176 is 'over-hyped'. It's a tool. A mechanic can use the same tool to wrench on his camaro as a mechanic on an F1 race car. An high-end tool can make the same job faster and easier and more enjoyable to do. Solo'd and A/B'ing one could pick out the nuances between say a vintage 1176, a repro, and distressor and a plug. But no one listens to a solo'd track as the final product of a song. Yet these little differences stack up over many tracks, to the point that treated the same way, by the same skilled hands, the end result is noticeably different (to the trained ear) than say the same tracks compressed with the plug version or budget comps.

Last edited by Fleaman; 8th March 2015 at 10:18 AM..
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

Maybe you'll like the LA2A better....
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straichen View Post
what other pieces of gear are so unanimously loved that it might create a similarly hilarious thread??

U47, LA-2A, distressor to name a few...
One of those does not have a hyperreal clone
Old 8th March 2015
Gear Addict

For someone to say they hate a 1176 is beyond me.
Old 9th March 2015
Lives for gear

This thread is way overhyped..
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Nut

What's an 1176?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search