The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Search Function Puzzlement? Dynamic Microphones
Old 8th September 2007
Deleted User
Search Function Puzzlement?

Requires at least 3 words. Cant just type the brand with a model number?
Seems crazy to me trying to find stuff nowdfegad It would be nice to type in SM57 and get a bunch of threads to look at so you dont have to start a new needless thread which would result in, " Did you use the search function?" Help my understanding here cause I dont get it
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Did you use the search function?

I keed, I keed.

Try google instead. Here's me quoting myself:

"Google is a useful alternative. Go to google, type in your search term(s) followed by
Code:
site:gearslutz.com
So, if you wanted to find api and god in the same thread, you'd search for
Code:
api god site:gearslutz.com
And here's a nice "cheat sheet" for google search, if it's needed:
http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/cheatsheet.html"
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

+1 in favor of a search function upgrade.

This site has too much valuable information archived within it not to have a world-class search function.

Cheers.

Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

I think the problem is that there are so many 1 and 2 letter words in the English language that are used so commonly that it would bog the server down terribly if people could search for 1 or 2 letter phrases. I think it has to check every string with a matching character length.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what the issue is here?

The search function requires that you use at least 3 characters for a search. (not three words) I just tried it and SM57 works and SM7 works. B3 doesn't work but if you put an asterik after it like this, B3*, that works too.

Often with the simple search, you'll get way too many hits because common items are often mentioned once in a large thread or someone has your keyword in their signature etc so if you go to Advanced Search and select Search Titles Only, you'll tend to get hits where your item in question is actually discussed. (you'll miss the 'thread drift" discussions though)

That said, the Google search that someone else mentioned works dandy too!

Best of luck!
Old 8th September 2007
Deleted User
"The search term you specified (b&w) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. "

Says three words from what I read. So trying to find Bowers & Wilkins will give you this error. Typing Bowers & Wilkins gives you the same error, hence my original question.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
"The search term you specified (b&w) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. "

Says three words from what I read. So trying to find Bowers & Wilkins will give you this error. Typing Bowers & Wilkins gives you the same error, hence my original question.
"minimum word length (3)" means each word you use must be at least three characters long.

Looks like the search engine strips out non-alphanumeric characters and doesn't count them. Do a search on Bowers Wilkins (leave out the &) and be happy!
Old 13th November 2007
Gear Maniac

vu
ms
db...

cool cheat sheet
danke dingo!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search