The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the ultimate direct guitar system?? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

the ultimate direct guitar system??

Hey there

I was wondering what everyone thought the ultimate direct guitar solution is. I have a tonelab, Damage control pre, had boss pedals etc etc, I mainly use Amplitube 2, which is actually pretty awesome for most stuff. Yes I do have some decent tube amps as well, but I am curious to if anyone had any input.

Please no Pods, tonelabs, etc etc, and no price restrictions, just has to be a direct solution, not just get a ton of amps. Thanks so much for your input!!
Old 7th September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

You should call Fred @ The Freddy

They are developing a solution based on the Receptor. I don't think they have the guitar unit posted yet but here's their website:

The Freddy

Fred is actually coming into town (Charleston SC) this weekend to demo it for the guitar players at the Church. Supposedly it's going to "change everything". They've got a custom pedal controller for it and hundreds and hundreds of presets right out of the box.

Anyway, according to their marketing it's "the future" but hype aside, you probably owe it to yourself to at least give Fred a call and here what the deal is. Nice guy too.

Good luck,
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

To me it's a Univalve direct out through a good DI and then Logic's Guitar Amp, which to me still has the best basic amp/cab simulation. Having the Univalve in the front end (with a tube pre and power stage) makes a huges difference. Plugging into a DI directly sounds flat by comparison (haven't tried a tube DI though).
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hedd 192

I have a number of options for direct guitar-- VoxBox, Aguilar, Gama 8 as well as direct outs some of my guitar amps--- but one link in my direct guitar audio pathway that always adds improvement in to use the Hedd 192 for AD conversion with the Hedd processor (pentode, triode, and tape). I think that anyone who owns the HEDD would agree with this opinion.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post
You should call Fred @ The Freddy

They are developing a solution based on the Receptor. I don't think they have the guitar unit posted yet but here's their website:

The Freddy

Fred is actually coming into town (Charleston SC) this weekend to demo it for the guitar players at the Church. Supposedly it's going to "change everything". They've got a custom pedal controller for it and hundreds and hundreds of presets right out of the box.

Anyway, according to their marketing it's "the future" but hype aside, you probably owe it to yourself to at least give Fred a call and here what the deal is. Nice guy too.

Good luck,
sounds very intersting, of course with the added cost of a receptor on top of it, would be cheaper to release as an rtas/vst thing, but i am interested in hearing more about what they have come up with.

thanks for all the inputs, keep em coming.
Old 8th September 2007
I doubt it's the 'ultimate', but I kinda like the speaker-emulating recording output on my new Marshall JVM410H. No competition to miking a cabinet in a room, though. I recently sold my Palmer PG-LIB, which was pretty good. The new SPL cabinet simulator looks interesting. I thought the womanizer was pretty nice, (for something that has a name like that). I don't record professionally, and I really don't know.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

www.emerysound.com

call curt - tell him you want a mic pre - it's $1800 or so - it's an amazing mic
pre - it is the mojoest of mojo d.i. for bass and guitar that i know of.....
you can hang out and play guitar direct.....as ultimate as my almost 41
years have shown me

be well

- jack
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search