The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Y cable solution? Is it that simple? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Y cable solution? Is it that simple?

Let's say I want to run 2 guitar cabs at the same time. Could I take the output of my guitar and split it through a Y cable? I would just take the 2 outputs of the Y cable and go into the two inputs on my cabs.

I could use one to capture a clean signal for later- "reamping" or just take the signal from my distortion pedal and split it into the 2 cabs.

It can't be that simple, right?

I know I can use a basic di box..but do I need to?

Could I use my sansamp bass driver (it has 1 in/3 outs)?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

You could try it, but there will probably be issues with grounding and impedance. Several companies make boxes for this purpose, usually with a transformer to isolate the amps from each other. A DI box does the same thing, so that your mic preamp doesn't have grounding problems or impedance issues.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Try this ART CoolSwitch A/B or Y Switch Box
It seems to work pretty good.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

hmmm

that seems like it might work out just fine.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

There's a few ways to do it. For reamping, the best way is to send your guitar through a DI box with a through out. The through goes to the guitar amp, the balanced XLR goes to a mic pre. After you record the track, you then run a line out to a Reamp or X-amp box back to the guitar amp for reamping.

Another way is plug into the DI 1/4" of a mic preamp and mult the outs of the mic pre. One mult will go to the recording device, and one mult will go to a Reamp or X-amp and into the amp for monitoring or recording. You will then on playback use the direct recorded sound from the mic pre and now send it through the reamp device back to the amp for reamping.

You can record a clean amp and reamp it, and I'm sure it will probably give you good results when reamped, but it won't sound the same as your guitar plugged into the amp.

There are other ways to do it, but these two methods should give you the highest quality signal for reamping.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

OK

OK, so let's forget about re-amping for a second. If I just wanted to split the signal into two amps, both with mics on them for recording..what then?

The idea for me is to get different cab/head sounds with the same signal etc.

Reason being: As far as re-amping; lining up tracks after a roundtrip back in to my DAW causes issues sometimes with phase/latency and quality issues due to lack of good da/ad (MOTU 24 I/O).
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have done tracking mults using an A/B switch as well as a Y cable and both methods were fine by my ears. In each instance I sent one line to an amp and one line to a DI.
For phase issues (if they were present) I lined up the waveforms manually.
Technically, I'm sure there are all kinds of units that will do the job better on somebody's spec sheet, but I don't need to buy a new piece of gear for every trick of the trade. I'd say, do a little test run with your Y cable and see if it works out for you.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyrich View Post
OK, so let's forget about re-amping for a second. If I just wanted to split the signal into two amps, both with mics on them for recording..what then?

The idea for me is to get different cab/head sounds with the same signal etc.

Reason being: As far as re-amping; lining up tracks after a roundtrip back in to my DAW causes issues sometimes with phase/latency and quality issues due to lack of good da/ad (MOTU 24 I/O).

Depends on how much you want to spend. The Art thing will work. It looks to me like a passive Y switch, probably with some form of ground isolation. This means that the guitar signal needs to drive both amps. You may have trouble using a passive pickup directly into it, but if you put some kind of active line buffer before it, either built into an active guitar pickup, or using a line driver pedal, you probably won't here a difference.

If you want to get fancy, look at the Tonebone Switchbone:

Radial JX•2 Switchbone | Sweetwater.com

It's pricey, but it uses active electronics and transformers to feed each amp an emulated pickup impedance. It also has some nice boost features, and allows you to adjust the volume to each amp individually. I use one on a daily basis for exactly what you are doing.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

good post!
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I do the dual amp thing all of the time, but I do spend a good deal of time getting the configuration right so as to get a good sound and no groung loops and other noises. I use a Rapco (?) a/b/y but it honestly sucks. Someone on here has turned me on to the Lehle P-Split. It should arrive any day now.
Try the Y cable and if you like it, use it, but more than likely you will be wrestling with load issues and ground loops.
Good luck.
Druhms
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

This works for me.

Morley Pedals
Attached Thumbnails
Y cable solution? Is it that simple?-morley-box.jpg  
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Anytime a guitarist uses pedals with stereo outs, it's easy to just connect another cable into the stereo output. In fact, I will just about always do this...especially with stereo delay pedals.

I always record to separate tracks and spread.

Works good live too!

If you have a stereo pedal laying around, it would be the easiest solution (assuming it's a good pedal that doesn't muck up the sound)
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

I was looking for a transformer isolated guitar splitter and ended up with a Little Labs IBP. It's obviously very expensive compared to other splitters of it's kind but can cover other bases in the studio. (reamp, phase control, DI)

The ability to adjust the phase between the two amps is powerful.

And it's another world quieter than a Y-splitter.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Lehle P Split is the best accessory ever, the ground lift is a life saver for noisy pickups.

Used constantly at our place.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Sansamp worked just fine

The Sansamp worked out just fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search