The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1 U Rack Space Fans Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
1 U Rack Space Fans

Looking for some links to a quite 1 U Rack Space Fan, preferrably one that ventilates out the front panel and not the top.
Old 7th September 2007

You want a 1u exhaust fan to put at the top of your rack - that blows out the front?

Good Luck.

Think about other places to blow this air.

-tINY

Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

You want a 1u exhaust fan to put at the top of your rack - that blows out the front?

Good Luck.

Think about other places to blow this air.

-tINY

Well I found this one. It looks like it has a front vent. And out the front is my only option.

RA4004 Rack Fan - 3 fans in a 1U 19" cage holder, AIR BLOW OR DOWN , Optional 220V
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

how much gear(and what gear) are u trying to cool?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
how much gear(and what gear) are u trying to cool?
3 mic pres, 3 converters, and about 10 compressors.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
3 mic pres, 3 converters, and about 10 compressors.
Why not vent it out the back of the rack and maybe even out the room with some ducting instead of blowing hot air into what is presumably your control room.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

just buy some rack rails to mount on the back top of the rack. you'll end up with far more options. plus with such a small area the fans have to operate at a higher rpm to move as much air which translates to more noise.
Old 8th September 2007
Quote:
Well I found this one. It looks like it has a front vent. And out the front is my only option.

RA4004 Rack Fan - 3 fans in a 1U 19" cage holder, AIR BLOW OR DOWN , Optional 220V

Look again - that tray moves air up or down. You need blower fans that look like this:

-tINY

Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Why not vent it out the back of the rack and maybe even out the room with some ducting instead of blowing hot air into what is presumably your control room.
It's difficult to explain the custom built desk that I made for my gear. I left the cooling part to the end and my only option now is to vent out the front. I figured blowing the air out into my control room was better than the heat building up up around the gear.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:

Look again - that tray moves air up or down. You need blower fans that look like this:

-tINY

That would work. Does anyone make these in a 1 U rack space?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

-tINY
Those are called squirrel cage fans.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have some experience designing fans & cooling systems into pro audio gear (power amps, console power supplies, etc.) and in my experience, you do not want tiny fans mounted in a 1-U space at the front of the rack. It will be noisy as hell. It would be better to mount one or two large diameter, deep depth, low RPM fans in the back of the rack, near the top, blowing up, and leave that top rack space open as an exhaust path. Also, you need to make sure you have a path for air INTAKE as well as exhaust, ideally located at the bottom of the rack.

In general, the prefabricated rack fans like the one in the links above are intended for IT and Telecom applications where fan noise is not a big issue. If they don't have a published spec for noise level it's a safe bet that it's really loud, and even if there is a spec there's no way to know what KIND of sound it makes. A little pink noise may be OK, but a pitched whine at 1KHz makes it useless.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear
The first link is exactly what I'm looking for. Thx for that.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just got a small fan that is meant to clip on to a desk. Works perfect.

I've got a few open rack spaces, so the air just blows right out the front. It was only $10 from Rite Aid.

This is basicly the same one:

CompUSA.com - Atlantic Breeze 6" Clip-On Fan, 2-Speed, 3-6 11"x2-1 6"x5-2 17", Light Gray - 44552 - Office Supplies » Janitorial & Break Room » Fans
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear
So Active Thermal Management just got back to me and the Cooling Stack I goes for $325US. Any other suggestions?
Old 11th September 2007
you could probably make you own with a blank aluminum 1 or 2 RU panel, some metal cutting tools, and some of the fans suggested earlier.

APC also used to make fans for cooling down server rooms, although they are super loud. maybe they are cheaper and are able to ramp down the fan speed?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
you could probably make you own with a blank aluminum 1 or 2 RU panel, some metal cutting tools, and some of the fans suggested earlier.

APC also used to make fans for cooling down server rooms, although they are super loud. maybe they are cheaper and are able to ramp down the fan speed?
That's what I'm thinking. I found a computer cooling fan that exhausts hot air out. Maybe two of these in a 1 U rack would work?

more
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. I found a computer cooling fan that exhausts hot air out. Maybe two of these in a 1 U rack would work?

more
Bigger & slower would be a lot better.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

It can be risky to run fans at a lower voltage than they are spec'd for in an attempt to make them quieter. Sometimes it works, but you have to watch out for things like start-up inertia (the fan may not always start when you turn it on) and some fans are prone to 'cogging noise' when run slower than intended, which sounds a little like a playing card in a bicycle spoke. Really, it's better to get a big, deep, slow, quiet fan with a high CFM rating and a low dB rating and run it as intended. They cost about twenty bucks.
Old 12th September 2007

Do you have room at the back of the rack?

You could put a couple of fans in the back of the rack and run some ducts to collect the air at the top and blow it out somewhere else...

Do you have pictures of the problem?

-tINY

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Bigger & slower would be a lot better.
When I contacted Active Thermal Managment about the Cool Stack I, they told me that it had four 80mm fans. The one in the link has 60mm. I think another company makes something similar with two 80mm fans.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:

Do you have room at the back of the rack?

You could put a couple of fans in the back of the rack and run some ducts to collect the air at the top and blow it out somewhere else...

Do you have pictures of the problem?

-tINY

Tried to upload a pic but the file size is too big.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
When I contacted Active Thermal Managment about the Cool Stack I, they told me that it had four 80mm fans. The one in the link has 60mm. I think another company makes something similar with two 80mm fans.
Go for 120mm x 38mm deep. They don't have to spin anywhere near as fast to move the same amount of air, which makes them a lot quieter. I've had good results with Panasonic Panaflo series. You may also consider getting a 12VDC fan and powering it from a wallwart rather than using a 120VAC fan. The 12VDC versions usually offer more choices in the slow speed / low dB end of the range.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

check out Cool Components; they make stuff very similar to Active Thermal Management, but with a slightly higher build quality.

- Rack Products
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search