The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ Magazine DAW Software
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
EQ Magazine

Has anyone here ever had problems with EQ magazine?

I subscribed to the magazine back in March on their website with my credit card under the assumption that it was $17 a year. When I got my credit card statement, it showed that I was billed $40. I contacted the magazine and they explained to me that it was $40 a year for Canadian citizens...so I asked for a refund before they mailed me my first issue.

No one from the magazine got back to me and when someone did they'd pass me off to someone else, who also wouldn't return my emails. Then finally in July, someone from the magazine looked into it and found they had no record of me in their system and asked me for a copy of my credit card statement with the charge from EQ mag...so I sent one to them. I was promised to have a refund on my next statement. And sure enough, no refund. So I emailed them again two days ago, and no one from magazine has replied.

What's my next move?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Has anyone here ever had problems with EQ magazine?

I subscribed to the magazine back in March on their website with my credit card under the assumption that it was $17 a year. When I got my credit card statement, it showed that I was billed $40. I contacted the magazine and they explained to me that it was $40 a year for Canadian citizens...so I asked for a refund before they mailed me my first issue.

No one from the magazine got back to me and when someone did they'd pass me off to someone else, who also wouldn't return my emails. Then finally in July, someone from the magazine looked into it and found they had no record of me in their system and asked me for a copy of my credit card statement with the charge from EQ mag...so I sent one to them. I was promised to have a refund on my next statement. And sure enough, no refund. So I emailed them again two days ago, and no one from magazine has replied.

What's my next move?
File a complaint with your credit card company. They should be able to post a credit to your account if you have good records and can prove what you claim has happened. The merchant can fend for themselves.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Down here in the lower 48 they just send 'em to me free.

I think they've become free ala tape-op style.

Personally I wouldn't pay for their subscription...tainted reviews, please the advertisers, etc.

Gearslutz is a much better value....you get your moneys worth
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey, that sounds like Paypal!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO View Post
File a complaint with your credit card company. They should be able to post a credit to your account if you have good records and can prove what you claim has happened. The merchant can fend for themselves.
Never thought of that...I guess this qualifies as an "item not received".
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Down here in the lower 48 they just send 'em to me free.

I think they've become free ala tape-op style.

Personally I wouldn't pay for their subscription...tainted reviews, please the advertisers, etc.

Gearslutz is a much better value....you get your moneys worth
What magazine would you recommend?
Old 7th September 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Take any mag you like to read, really. You know, for news, bedtime or whatever.

But, and I can tell you this first hand, the reviews are not objective. I mean how could they be since everything sound is so subjective. But the companies also exchange ad spaces for reviews. You read a review, two pages later there's a fullpage full color ad. Whoops.
Most of it is bull.

I mean, it's nice to read it, just like the totally subjective and often probably wrong impressions on gearslutz are. But don't build your opinion on reviews because.. well. you'll probably be spending more money.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
For what?

Gear reviews: Online forums like gearslutz, tape op, pro sound web, etc. You will have to sift through a bunch of B.S., but at least most of it is not advertiser funded.

Steven St. Croix was fun to read in Mix...but he's passed away now.

If you must, I think tape op is the best magazine out there. It's free too (at least down here).
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally....I need all the help I can get.

I read EQ cover to cover, taking the reviews with a grain of salt. There are nuggets to be found for a rank amateur like me.

Also read Recording Mag and Mix....when I have time between my GS sessions.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never thought of that...I guess this qualifies as an "item not received".
Something like that. In a nutshell, you paid them for a service which by accepting your payment, obligates them legally to deliver said service. They have failed to deliver on that obligation, and are now adding insult to injury by dragging their feet for whatever reason.

You are not obligated in any way, to suffer additional losses (such as the use of your funds, your time, and misc. other expenses incurred in dealing with this matter) based upon their inefficient responses. It's like that old saw 'Lack of planning on your part, does not create an emergency on my part'.

Go for it!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Tape Op is the best - by far. EQ is getting better. Mix is dismal.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I like to read SOS.

For a while, EQ really sucked. But Craig Anderton has been turning it around.
Old 8th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Anderton seems to be putting out "quality vs quantity" in that the mag seems to be getting smaller...but the content is more focused.

War
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've been a reader for years and the last two years of it have sucked! BUT the last few issues with the interviews with Pete Townsend and then Rush have been outstanding!!!! I have noticed the issue getting smaller, but would have to agree it's packing more of a punch!

EQ if you're reading this, you're headed in the right direction!!!!!

Mix is garbage............................

Tape OP should be all audio mags goal!!!!!

Quick Props to RESOLUTION a very nice mag (a glossy mainstream european Tape OP)
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Slightly off topic, I thought that Pete Townsend interview was amazing. His gear knowlege is extensive, from early Neve pre's to Abelton Live...you go Pete!

Plus I like his stance on home recording, very real. Do it, enjoy it, but always be aware of what is and has come before and the difference between pros, pro gear and such.

Right on!

XJ
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Tape Op is fantastic! I wish there were more mags like it, in every field!

Mix and EQ aren't bad, but are a little irrelevant to me. I'm sorry to have such harsh words, but I can't find much that's redeemable in SOS.

Electronic Musician is also surprisingly good, especially for neophytes!

I have to say it again: TapeOp all the way!
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Before my EQ subscription ran out earlier this year, I thought they were getting better, although somehow it seemed like they were trying a bit hard, personality-wise...I didn't renew my subscription and don't really miss it that much.

Tape Op has been getting more fun with every issue. The interviews are pretty great, and sometimes gear is reviewed by more than one person, which is interesting too. All in all, a solid magazine.

Haven't read Mix and SOS in forever...
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd recommend a cell phone with an internet connection and a bookmark to here.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Mix and EQ are meaningless to me, but SOS is pure garbage.
For my own edification, why are they meaningless to you?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
For my own edification, why are they meaningless to you?
Well, I guess that was a little harsh. I'll change that from "meaningless" to "irrelevant." I don't really bother with them much anymore.

Mix is kinda cool for seeing what catching up on what some more notable fellow engineers are up to at the moment. I just haven't seen any articles that have really grabbed me in a while. There's a lot of sizzle, but it could use more steak, IMHO.
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
What's my next move?
Send me an email at [email protected] and I will take care of this for you.

By the way, my name is Matt. and I am the editor of EQ (along with Craig, of course.)

To speak to some of the other comments in this thread:

We have NOT shrunk in size. Quite the contrary actually. I'm sure that I'm dealing with a latency issue here, but just to explain a bit: Approximately a year ago our magazine went through a sale that, at the time, negatively effected our overall pagecount, leaving us with, at one time, a 64 meager pages (Jan '07 issue.)

The last three issues, starting with August '07, have been 100 pages. That's a nearly 50% size increase.

NONE of the other magazines you read are growing at a rate comparable to that. In fact, ALL magazines (even Playboy, Esquire, Sports Illustrated, Rolling Stone, Guns and Ammo, Water Polo Monthly, etc.) are getting smaller by the issue. This is symptomatic of changing tides within the publishing industry. Personally, I'm happy to be experiencing an opposite problem - namely, that the mag is growing so quickly that we can hardly figure out how to manage to continue to put it out in a 60-72 hour work week.

But we do...for our readers. And instead of filling the pages with outdated "news" and extraneous crap that is just culled from press releases, we actually write the entire thing.

Our content is dense and all original. Furthermore, it instructs people on actually how to do stuff. Look at the Sept '07 issue and notice the regularly occuring (2 pages each, without fail, every month) techniques articles devoted to guitar, bass, keys, drums, vocals, and mixing. Look at the sections like Cheat Sheet and Power App Alleys. Look at the recording techniques features that are there every month. Look at the editorially-penned "Home Cooking" sidebars to every artist/personality feature (which, themselves, explicitly explain recording practices). Even the reviews are full of application tips. Our entire magazine is instructive save for our new gear section (Tool Box) and the book end featured studio (Room with a VU.) 3-5 pages total out of 60 pages of exclusive content. No other recording magazine is like that.

*Also, ad to edit ratio comes into play here. While you may notice some of the other magazines having a higher page count, they generally also have over 50% of their pages being comprised of ads. We have decided to keep the magazine 60% editorial. Makes the extra ten pages you count in *blank* seem pretty insignificant, no?

On reviews: This is an age-old battle that every magazine editor save for the guys and gals at Consumer Reports has had to fight. There's nothing I can do to convince anybody who wishes to assume the reviews biased that this isn't so. All I can tell you is this: We editors do not broker advertising deals; there is a seperation of church and state wherein sales people sell advertising space to their clients while we editors fill the magazine with anything we want. When you see an ad in the mag and there's a review as well, it's not because we are corrupt - it's because we are reviewing a new product (being both relevant and current) and the maker of that product has decided that they wish to advertise said product to our readership. We are merely both, coincidentally, agreeing that EQ is a good place to talk about a piece of gear. That is all.

Furthermore, we have been known send gear BACK to manufacturers that we think is below par. We don't give press to anything we don't think is useful to our readership. We never give anything a perfect review - we always list it's limitations as well as it's strengths.

What we don't aim to do is make your value judgement for you. We explain what the gear is, what it does, how it works, give a couple tips for using it (most of these tips are not specific to that product either, they are more general recording based), sum it up, and move on.

I'm not here to evangelize the magazine. What I just can't dig is people referring to EQ in the present as if it were EQ in the past. The magazine has had some serious downs in the last few years, and that's precisely why the team that runs the mag now has nearly killed ourselves turning it around...and turning it into a unique magazine that is absolutely unlike anything else on the market. You may notice this -if you have actually read the magazine lately I don't see how you could not have. Or you may not - because you thought the magazine sucked in the past and, in your busy schedule of making albums and spending time with loved ones, you haven't found the time or desire to check out what we've done with it to decide whether or not it still sucks. If you're part of the latter category, honestly, I cannot blame you. I don't watch the Simpsons anymore; I'm not going to go buy the next Stones album.

That said, if you think EQ is a piece of crap magazine and you are running low on toilet paper, drop me a PM. I have some extra copies (definitely limited, but still...) sitting on my desk of some new issues that I'd be happy to send along.
Old 13th September 2007
DAS
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harper View Post
On reviews: This is an age-old battle that every magazine editor save for the guys and gals at Consumer Reports has had to fight. There's nothing I can do to convince anybody who wishes to assume the reviews biased that this isn't so. All I can tell you is this: We editors do not broker advertising deals; there is a seperation of church and state wherein sales people sell advertising space to their clients while we editors fill the magazine with anything we want. When you see an ad in the mag and there's a review as well, it's not because we are corrupt - it's because we are reviewing a new product (being both relevant and current) and the maker of that product has decided that they wish to advertise said product to our readership. We are merely both, coincidentally, agreeing that EQ is a good place to talk about a piece of gear. That is all.
A very close friend of mine has been the editor at two different major magazines in our industry, and another friend the publisher of one. I've also had other acquaintances at magazines. I've been able to garner a pretty decent look at what happens on the "inside" over the years. Everything I have seen and heard first or second hand (through my friends) backs up what Matt says. While I have little doubt that there have been some questionable things that may have happened at one place or another over the years, as a general rule I think the magazines are on the up and up in this area.

This is such an obvious thing that can happen (doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the potential is there) that I think the magazines are very careful about making sure they don't go there at all. It is a slippery slope.

I think part of where these suspicions come from is the fact that magazines don't tend to publish reviews telling us what a piece of sh_t something is. Perusing a board like this one quickly establishes the perception that to have any credibility one must rag on various pieces of gear, so any commercial entity that doesn't do it surely must be on the take.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

EQ man:

I agree the interviews re: Pete Townsend and the Rush stuff were cool and have elevated EQ beyond what it was in past.

The problem with EQ is the print in the new format is too damned small. Being over 40 I have to find some reading glasses to read it which means it don't get read.
Old 13th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

In the past I've found it handy to read industry rags, it seems I often have clients that ask me to do something that they just read in this months article. (which is a little humorous to me) That being said, I can't recall ever paying for any, accept maybe a year of S.O.S.
But it looks like the O.P. answered his own question by posting here, and getting the attention of the editorial staff of the Mag.

Nice one GearSlutz!
Old 18th September 2007
Here for the gear

Suicide Shift man:

Really? I've yet to hear that complaint from anyone. The font actually strikes me as quite large (in comparison to, say, the New Yorker) but, then again, I'm in my later 20s and have 20/20 vision, so...

I'll make sure to bring this up with my colleagues. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure the font on our website is larger, if you ever feel so inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide shift View Post
EQ man:

I agree the interviews re: Pete Townsend and the Rush stuff were cool and have elevated EQ beyond what it was in past.

The problem with EQ is the print in the new format is too damned small. Being over 40 I have to find some reading glasses to read it which means it don't get read.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Suicide Shift man:

Really? I've yet to hear that complaint from anyone. The font actually strikes me as quite large
Font size is fine IMO.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear
Matt, I sent you a copy of my cc statement last week but still haven't heard back from you or anyone at the magazine. Will I be credited on my next statement?
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
A very close friend of mine has been the editor at two different major magazines in our industry, and another friend the publisher of one. I've also had other acquaintances at magazines. I've been able to garner a pretty decent look at what happens on the "inside" over the years. Everything I have seen and heard first or second hand (through my friends) backs up what Matt says. While I have little doubt that there have been some questionable things that may have happened at one place or another over the years, as a general rule I think the magazines are on the up and up in this area.

This is such an obvious thing that can happen (doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the potential is there) that I think the magazines are very careful about making sure they don't go there at all. It is a slippery slope.

I think part of where these suspicions come from is the fact that magazines don't tend to publish reviews telling us what a piece of sh_t something is. Perusing a board like this one quickly establishes the perception that to have any credibility one must rag on various pieces of gear, so any commercial entity that doesn't do it surely must be on the take.
I can understand a magazines reasonings for not publishing Sh*t reviews on say cheaper end products (just wasted space), but what about the mid-to-high level products? Only publishing fairly positive reviews doesn't really give much contrast or ability for the reader to gage what is bad and what Really is great. It's watered down criticizing not unlike industry movie reviewers or a government always looking for the positives and sugar coating the negatives. It's a form of censorship that would not be practiced if the magazine had no advertisers, hence the point of consumer reports.

At least here we don't have that kind of censorship. Maybe things aren't so elegant here, but at least there's no worries of offending advertisers. Do a quick search in forum archives for 'ADAT's and then look at all the past magazine reviews for them.....it's like Alesis wrote the reviews for the magazines

I have a friend who's the editor in chief of 6 car/truck magazines. I'm not sure how it is today, but about 8 years ago another mutual friend was bringing to market a turbo kit and all he had to do was buy a full page ad and he could write the review himself, the magazine would edit it and whoever edited it would be credited as the reviewer/writer.
Old 18th September 2007
Here for the gear

Jason,

No worries. I told you I would act as your go-between and make sure that everything got taken care of. I hold by that. I've not ignored you. The necessary parties and they are literally emailing you right this second, I have been assured.

Quote:
Matt, I sent you a copy of my cc statement last week but still haven't heard back from you or anyone at the magazine. Will I be credited on my next statement?
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Jason,

No worries. I told you I would act as your go-between and make sure that everything got taken care of. I hold by that. I've not ignored you. The necessary parties and they are literally emailing you right this second, I have been assured.
Ok, thank you. Wasn't sure if you got my attachment or not.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search