The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ Magazine DAW Software
Old 18th September 2007
Here for the gear

You should guard his identity with your life - if he was outed as having that loose of an editorial ethical code in the publishing industry he would never be eligible for another job.

Why? Because what is sold to advertisers are the eyes of the public. They pay for exposure, not for positive reviews. A magazine only has those eyes if you, the reader, wills it. If you don't trust the magazine, then you don't buy it. If you don't buy it, the magazine has no value for the manufacturers. THEN the mag makes no money.

EQ could write all the puff pieces we could muster in a month and we wouldn't get a single new advertiser if we couldn't quantify an audience. Given that, us editors are tasked with capturing your attention and maintaining an audience. Why would he jeopardize that?

Our salaries aren't tied to ad revenue. A salesperson works on comission, but my check is the same whether or not they sell an ad. There's no interest on an editors part beyond putting out a magazine that appeals to a targeted demographic (in our case, recording musicians.) That's it - that's our job.

The exceptions to this rule is when the editor of a magazine is also the owner, or even the publisher. I would be wary if I saw a masthead that says "Founder/CEO/Publisher/Editor." Beyond that, I would describe the situation you list as anamolous...and very unwise on your friend's end unless he's looking for a forced career change in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I have a friend who's the editor in chief of 6 car/truck magazines. I'm not sure how it is today, but about 8 years ago another mutual friend was bringing to market a turbo kit and all he had to do was buy a full page ad and he could write the review himself, the magazine would edit it and whoever edited it would be credited as the reviewer/writer.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

I get Tape Op, Mix, Electronic Musician, EQ, Pro Sound News and Pro Audio Reveiw - all for free here in the US (hafta make sure I fill out the little cards or these days, the online equivalent). I like them all to one degree or another, but I don't think I'd pay for any of them (I'm pretty poor these days - rather spend small amounts of money on cheap gear, maintenance or food!).

EQ is making a change, for sure. A year or 2 ago it seemed like it was trying to be Tape Op. The latest ones are quite a bit different. Some months I don't read any of them (above list), but I at least try to flip through each page when a new issue comes in - mostly scanning the ads and new product listings (what they want you to do, right?). Why do I bother? I find out most of the current product info here on GS, but I do run into things in the mags that I miss online - not a lot, but enough to matter.

I usually carry one or two with me for waiting rooms, the post office line, internetless down time, etc. In extreme cases like this, I'll read them cover to cover. I also keep them for reveiw and article reference. It's amazing what the editors and writers do. There's just not that much "new" in the world of recording, so there's always a lot of rehash and redundany between mags. But, technical articles seem to be becoming more sophisticated - interviews are better and the like.

I guess in the modern world, I think of recording mags as portable, passive GS - just add light!
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harper View Post
The exceptions to this rule is when the editor of a magazine is also the owner, or even the publisher. I would be wary if I saw a masthead that says "Founder/CEO/Publisher/Editor." Beyond that, I would describe the situation you list as anamolous...and very unwise on your friend's end unless he's looking for a forced career change in the future.
It wasn't His policy, it was the publishers policy and that publisher was HUGE! Of course I won't out him or the publisher, but the bottom line is that EVERY magazine with ad revenue has to be careful and concious of editorial content relating to products advertised within their magazine.

Here's another thing: They wouldn't review any product whose manufacture didn't have ad space (or at least ordered space) in their magazines. When the publisher is huge, the manufacture could advertise in one magazine and still be reviewed in another, as long as it's under the same publisher.

Let me ask you this: Has EQ extensively reviewed any product whose manufacture (not just that actual product) has never bought (or contracted to buy) advertising in Newbay media magazines? I'm not trying to accuse, it's actually an honest sincere question.

I've worked extensively in the specialty automotive market for years and know the special relationship between magazines and manufactures. I'm sure (and hope) it's not as bad here in the pro-audio market, yet I can still read between the lines....and still have too.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear
EQ's looking nice and has interesting content nowadays.

I used to love StudioSound (I think that's what it was called) about 15 years ago when it was around. Great mag. AudioMedia was also decent for awhile, then it went online-only, and who knows where it's at nowadays.

SOS used to be a stronger mag, but lately it's pretty banal. By contrast, the UK edition of FutureMusic is fantastic. It's more about the electronic music etc. end, gearwise, but they cover the bases with interesting editorial and features, great and thorough reviews, informative platform-specific advice/tips columns each month, and one of the best record reviews sections in print (again, we're talking electronic music here). Additionally, each month's edition comes with a DVD featuring videos and audios pertaining to the articles/reviews, user demo's, and a nice load of free samples. Expensive as hell, though, and the USA version they publish is smaller, chintzier, and inferior in every possible way. That said, it's a very worthy mag if you're doing the electronic thing.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
EQ's looking nice and has interesting content nowadays.

I used to love StudioSound (I think that's what it was called) about 15 years ago when it was around. Great mag. AudioMedia was also decent for awhile, then it went online-only, and who knows where it's at nowadays.

SOS used to be a stronger mag, but lately it's pretty banal. By contrast, the UK edition of FutureMusic is fantastic. It's more about the electronic music etc. end, gearwise, but they cover the bases with interesting editorial and features, great and thorough reviews, informative platform-specific advice/tips columns each month, and one of the best record reviews sections in print (again, we're talking electronic music here). Additionally, each month's edition comes with a DVD featuring videos and audios pertaining to the articles/reviews, user demo's, and a nice load of free samples. Expensive as hell, though, and the USA version they publish is smaller, chintzier, and inferior in every possible way. That said, it's a very worthy mag if you're doing the electronic thing.
Errrm I still receive audiomedia in paper form...
Or well, I have one from june 2007 anyway...
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Addict

Thought I'd chime in on this one (not that anyone really cares what I think! )

I agree that, a few years back, EQ was kind of a joke. It seemed disjointed in general... It also seemed that it was aimed more at people who may do some home recording rather then people who record/produce for a living... While I'm sure there's a need for that type of magazine, I didn't have much use for it personally. But recently, the content (as a few others in this thread have pointed out) seems to be getting better and better. I think there's a better blend of information that people at pretty much any level can take something from.

People are always going to complain about gear reviews no matter what mag they're in or how they're written. I love TapeOp and look forward to reading it every month but I've read some reviews in there that were clearly written by people who didn't have a clue (how can you review a new condenser mic if you've only ever used one other condenser mic in your entire life for example?)

On a personal note, EQ has been really good to me. They've interviewed me for two pieces this year and they even included a picture both times (although I do admit that the last one they printed was pretty much unauthorized and taken as a joke... Imagine my surprise when I saw it in print!) While I've been lucky enough to work with some fairly well-known people and I manage to make a living doing what I love (recording and producing music), I don't have the credit list of Jack Joseph Puig or Tom Lord-Alge so magazines, in general, aren't exactly beating down my door for interviews every month.

I've noticed that EQ *will* feature people that fall into the same category that I do and I think that's a great thing. I took notice of this before they called me for an interview so it's not just a bias based on what they've done for me.

All in all, I think EQ is on the upswing and that (if they keep heading in the direction they seem to be going) the level of quality and amount of useful information in the magazine will just continue to improve.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just got the new issue....I'll read it cover to cover.

Listen...we all know a great deal about what we do, no doubt.
But we must remember to keep the beginner's perspective...how else will we continue to learn?

I say...read everything, take from it what applies to you personally and leave the rest.

Kudos to Matt Harper for entering the fray.
Old 19th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
It wasn't His policy, it was the publishers policy and that publisher was HUGE! Of course I won't out him or the publisher, but the bottom line is that EVERY magazine with ad revenue has to be careful and concious of editorial content relating to products advertised within their magazine.

Here's another thing: They wouldn't review any product whose manufacture didn't have ad space (or at least ordered space) in their magazines. When the publisher is huge, the manufacture could advertise in one magazine and still be reviewed in another, as long as it's under the same publisher.
Well now I'm just depressed. Thanks...

Seriously though, this sounds like an incredibly short-sighted publisher. I don't doubt at all that this has happened - publishers tend to be culled from sales forces way more often than they are from the editorial side of the fence. Thankfully for all of us at Musicplayer/NewBay, our publisher does not attempt to push editorial in such a way...so I'm left with nothing but pity for your friend. He's not an editor, he's a salesman with a high proficiency in Word.

Quote:
Let me ask you this: Has EQ extensively reviewed any product whose manufacture (not just that actual product) has never bought (or contracted to buy) advertising in Newbay media magazines? I'm not trying to accuse, it's actually an honest sincere question.
Looking at the list of gear reviewed in the Sept 07 issue of EQ we have the following manufacturers:

Primera
Magix
Massey
Chameleon Labs
Roland
Big Fish
Sonivox
Sony

Sony and Chameleon are advertisers in the magazine, and Roland supports us online. Big Fish advertised once many, many issues again and then never did again. Sonivox, to my knowledge, has never once taken an ad out. Primera, Magix, and Massey have NEVER advertised with EQ...and I'd be real suprised to find out any of those guys were running ads in Bass Player or Technology and Learning.

For the Oct 07 issue of EQ we have:
Waves
TC Electronic
Peavey
M-Audio
Digidesign
Big Fish
Sony

T.C., M-Audio, and Sony advertise. Waves hasn't advertised in years (since before I even worked here). It's been about the same amount of time since I've seen an ad from Digi. Peavey advertises in Guitar Player and Bass Player, maybe even Keyboard, but not EQ. Big Fish was explained above.

We've reviewed 3 SSL products this year, with a 4th on the way. They do nothing for us. They don't spend a single dime.

We've reviewed AMS Neve stuff this year. We have another on the way. They haven't bought an ad probably since Mitch Gallagher ran the show here (4 + years)

We've reviewed two Manley units this year. Not a thing from them.

We regularly devote Power App Alleys to people like BIAS and Ableton. They don't advertise.

Shall I go on?

Quote:
I've worked extensively in the specialty automotive market for years and know the special relationship between magazines and manufactures. I'm sure (and hope) it's not as bad here in the pro-audio market, yet I can still read between the lines....and still have too.
I can't speak for what other editors do, but I hope the above serves as some proof that Craig and I are not on the wrong end of the puppet strings in the MI world. Are we diplomatic people? Sure, I'll own up to that - this diplomacy is what is at work when we send product back and say "Dude/dudette, you don't want us to write about this." But do we lie to our readership to make marketing directors happy? Never.
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

In April 2007, EQ actually got smaller in size. Not in the number of pages, but the actual page size. I have pretty good vision, but I too think the font is not quite right. For example, page 46 of the April edition is a review of Duende. Paragraph headers are in a light gray on a white background. In fact, this is a style decision that runs consistantly thru the mag. A bit hard to read in bed at night with a typical bedside table light.

Despite this nit-picky stuff, I will say that EQ is moving in the right direction. I'm a long-time reader and nearly gave up on EQ a while back. Hopefully, things will continue to improve.

-Rich
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds good...that was an extensive reply Matt

It's nice to hear about all the products reviewed that don't advertise.

My hope is of course that good reviews don't preempt future ad possibilities

It doesn't seem like it here.

As for that publisher....his empire was worth billions and it was all from publishing magazines from 1 magazine on up. There's only a few (probably less than on 1 hand), so you can probably guess who it is. Bottom line is his revenue was from advertisers, not subscriptions....just like every other magazine. Just like commercial T.V. and radio. The relationship had to be there for both, otherwise they just wouldn't play well with each other. Both sides made millions and billions....it's still a business after all.

I don't like politicians receiving campaign $$$ from special interests either...but it's except as business as usual and if anyone wants to play in that field, they have to play by the rules that everyone is used to.
Old 19th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBowlin View Post
In April 2007, EQ actually got smaller in size. Not in the number of pages, but the actual page size.
This is true. The actual paper that we use changed. Something like a 1/4" less on the very top of the page. We then designed the mag to have less margin space to combat any potential issues. The character/wordcount per the average page has not changed a bit. This hasn't affected the amount of words in the mag at all.

Good eye, though.

Quote:
I have pretty good vision, but I too think the font is not quite right. For example, page 46 of the April edition is a review of Duende. Paragraph headers are in a light gray on a white background. In fact, this is a style decision that runs consistantly thru the mag. A bit hard to read in bed at night with a typical bedside table light.
Yes, that's a design decision. It's deliberate. Personally, I don't think it HAS to be that way, and if I'm getting feedback that says people aren't reading the magazine due to that then I will certainly bring it up with our art director. And since I'm getting that feedback...

Quote:
Despite this nit-picky stuff, I will say that EQ is moving in the right direction. I'm a long-time reader and nearly gave up on EQ a while back. Hopefully, things will continue to improve.
I think things will. Not to be low on modesty, but this is symptomatic of the editors of the magazine, and the wonderful contributors (some of which can be seen in TapeOp, for all you TapeOp lovers). We're not going to get lazy on you all. Promise.
Old 19th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sounds good...that was an extensive reply Matt
You're welcome. Honestly, I'm glad that you all gave me a chance to tackle this issue. I feel your attention is incredibly valuable, and I'm not being sarcastic at all iwhen saying that.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I say...read everything, take from it what applies to you personally and leave the rest.
Now there's a smart guy.

There's almost always something to learn in the stack of my they drop off here every month. Some tip in there somewhere about some Ableton Live shortcut or some new Pro Tools feature I missed or will need to use soon. Or some advice on miking a cow to get a good moo that, lo and behold, I need a chorus of cows for something the next week. Really, almost always something useful no matter how long ya been doing this. When I'm done with 'em or if I don't get time to read 'em before they're piling up, what do I do? Pass 'em on to an intern or someone else that'll soak up what they need out of it. I'd say that all the work guys like EQ put into a lot of these mags, should be welcomed by most of us. There's always somethin' useful in there :-) Leave what ya already know or disagree with and grab the rest.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

My respect as well as my opinion as of late of EQ mag has just went up ten fold!!! Thanks in large part to a better read (issues July, Aug and Sept 07) and Matt Harper who has stood up and answered questions and concerns about the mag he is in charge of (EQ).

I also appreciate his pointing out reviews they have done of gear and their manufacturers that don't spend advertising money with EQ or it's parent company (I aspecially enjoyed the review of Massey Tapehead).

Please take our (GearSlutz) attention and critique as support of what you're doing and I for one look forward to enjoying your continued efforts!

I think as long as you care about improving (and I think you do or we would have never heard from you here) you will have a successful mag and we all will benefit and be entertained.

Kevin (SoundUniverse)
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Agreed
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Errrm I still receive audiomedia in paper form...
Or well, I have one from june 2007 anyway...
ok then!
Old 19th September 2007
Here for the gear

Well I wanted to chime in, but Matt has said everyting I would have said, and more comprehensively as well

I did want to add a story about negative reviews, though. I've been asked why my reviews tend to be generally positive. The answer for me is completely selfish: When it comes time to pick something to review, i don't want to spend four weeks of my life dealing with something that looks lame or doesn't interest me. I want something that at least looks like I'm going to enjoy learning about it.

There was one time I was reviewing a product from a company with whom several in this industry have had a, uh, rocky relationship. I of course always try to be fair and objective, but I wasn't finding anything to dislike about this unit, and at least a little part of me was hoping to find something. So I called an editor of another, supposedly "competitive" magazine with whom I'm good friends, because I knew he also had the unit for review. I asked if he had found any problems, and he sort of grudgingly had come to same conclusion as I - it was a well-engineered, cost-effective product. We both kind of held our noses and printed our respective positive reviews...and no, I'm not going to name names!

Also, there were two times that I wrote scathing reviews, but you never saw them in print. It had nothing to do with advertiser pressure: After the fact-check process, both manufacturers withdrew the products from the market, knowing that with no product on the market, we wouldn't run the review. One company re-tooled their product, and re-introduced it several months later...and it had been completely turned around. The other company eventually went out of business.

Oh, and one more thing: A lot of readers think the purpose of a fact-check is to save the manufacturer's butt, and in the two cases above, that was indeed the situation. But really, it's to save my butt. There's nothing more embarrassing than writing a review of a program, only to find out when the mag hits the stands that a new version is available, and my review is obsolete...or that I got the contact information wrong!

It's extremely gratifying that so many of you recognize the efforts we've put into turning EQ around (and it's not just Matt and me, we have help from some great staffers and authors). We really feel each issue is getting stronger, and it's great to get confirmation of that from the high-level kind of people who hang out here.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Good to see you here Craig. Personally, I don't want to waste my time reading about a piece of gear that sucks. I'd rather be informed about the good stuff that's out there. Don't waste magazine space on stuff that sucks.
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Nut

Thank for sharing your experiences Craig! I learn a lot electronic knowledge from your book!

Americans are lucky enough to get those magazine freely. I was stop buying them 2 years ago since most are review are not helping and indirect persuasive marketing to buy eventhough some of the gears sound like crap. It is just hype or one person 'taste' and review...

GS are more natural, with pros&cons from the real user, most recent... thumbsup Thank to all great folk hear for sharing time & opinions!
Old 20th September 2007
Gear Addict

It's always easy to rag on a magazine that's headed downhill. And EQ certainly fell into that category until recently. For example, The Jan 2006 issue was a scant 80 pages, ads and all. The table of contents was broken into 3 main sections: Features, Departments & Gearhead. Features I could figure out, but "Departments" and "Gearhead"... not sure what that meant.
Fast Forward to the September 2007 issue. 96 pages. The table of contents makes much more sense: "Features," "New Techniques," "Reviews," "Power App Alley," and "Departments." Artistically, the layout is better and more pleasing to the eye (but don't forget my comments above). IMO, the quality of the writing has improved as well. You just get the sense that the magazine is heading in a new and better direction. And, of course, this "feeling" is reinforced by the comments given here by Craig and Matt.

-Rich
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Americans are lucky enough to get those magazine freely.
So instead of a refund, EQ has offered to give me a two year subscription for $40 (so 1 year free). Not sure if this is much of deal or a fair trade for the hassel I went through knowing now that Americans get the magazine for free. Should I ask for a full refund or give in and get the subscription?
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
So instead of a refund, EQ has offered to give me a two year subscription for $40 (so 1 year free). Not sure if this is much of deal or a fair trade for the hassel I went through knowing now that Americans get the magazine for free. Should I ask for a full refund or give in and get the subscription?
I'm "American" and I pay for mine. It's entertainment I "value" and enjoy. It takes me away and that my friend is "worth" something (perhaps the subscription rate, perhaps more) to me. What is it worth to you? Buy it and enjoy it or don't buy it and do without........

Last edited by SoundUniverse; 20th September 2007 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: forgot the "to me"
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundUniverse View Post
I'm "American" and I pay for mine. It's entertainment I "value" and enjoy. It takes me away and that my friend is "worth" something (perhaps the subscription rate, perhaps more) to me. What is it worth to you? Buy it and enjoy it or don't buy it and do without........
Going on replies from this thread, I assumed American subscriptions were for free. Are they not?
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Going on replies from this thread, I assumed American subscriptions were for free. Are they not?
Perhaps they are free to some in the industry (all mags have this in common to some degree) ... but I'm in the U.S. and I've never seen nor heard of a free sub. to EQ. I did have a free sub to Mix at one time and still do for TapeOp.

I wouldn't give it too much thought - if you like the mag I'd say subscribe, that's what I believe the majority of GS'rs would also need to do if they wanted copies (American citizens or not).

P.S. - If you have a studio or a waiting room, they might offer you one if you woo them. My dentist gets a crapload of free mags for his waiting room customers. heh
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear
Just received the September and October issues of EQ in the mail and I gotta say I enjoyed reading most of it. A big thx to Gearslutz for helping getting this sorted out and thx to Matt from EQ for the 1 year free subscription.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Nut

Mat, EQ is really looking better the last few issues. I came close to droping it a couple times in the last 2 years, but the mag is getting much better. How the hell do I get it free?heh Keep it up and focus on the little details in the interviews. Graig's stuff is great, too bad he doesnt write Mac & Digi stuff. Michael Molenda and JJ Blair are great additions also. Pete Townshend was a great read.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Harper View Post
Suicide Shift man:

Really? I've yet to hear that complaint from anyone. The font actually strikes me as quite large (in comparison to, say, the New Yorker) but, then again, I'm in my later 20s and have 20/20 vision, so...

I'll make sure to bring this up with my colleagues. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure the font on our website is larger, if you ever feel so inclined.
I don't know what the New Yorker is ... I think my parents read it. Re: the font size ... I guess it comes down to eyesight and age and perhaps most of your readers are under 40.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

On thing I'd like to see in EQ is more hardware, less software.
Old 26th September 2007
Here for the gear

I subscribe to EQ and bought a subscription for a friend of mine as well. I first got EQ quite a few years back, I think it was mid to late 90's. After a couple years it seemed like the same thing every month so I let it go.

I've gotten it for the last 2 years again now and saw it get worse early on and then recently in the last 6 months it seems to have really gotten good! I hope things continue in the positive. The Interviews recently have been great. I love the sections that describe the details of how to mic something properly. (Including pre-amp and signal info)

Things I'd like to see ...
1) An article on quad-core DAW's using todays technology.
2) A "top 100 tech notes for beginners and novices" list, w/explanations.
3) Page per month dedication to one of the old consoles ... (like a specific SSL setup with a breakdown of the pluses and minuses of that console, list of famous recordings done on it, etc.)
4) Have a DAW section, with a half a page or a page devoted to each major DAW and a couple cool hints/tips/tricks for it ... maybe a couple for each skill level. You could also include the latest news about that product.

I'm sure there are other things I'd like to see, but that's all I can rememebr right now. Anyway, keep up the awesome work of the last 6 months!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search