The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ALESIS Prolinear 820/ 720 Studio Monitors
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
ALESIS Prolinear 820/ 720

These days they're going for £200ish at sound control..

What are they like..?
Opinions?

Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
No-one..??

Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

i heard them when they first came out. i'm putting on my bullet proof vest now, because i'm sure this will be unpopular, but i think it is a heck of a good deal for that price. even at the original prices it was a "fair" deal. they aren't bad speakers at all, ok so they aren't adams or jbls, but they really are much better than you'd think for the money.

suitable for mastering - no. great pair for someone on a lower budget - absolutely. great second set of monitors for anyone - you bet.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
hey,.. thanks for the reply. Honest opinions are always welcomed.

I'm gonna check them out, but i wondered if they were even worth checking out since i can't find many reviews on them..
Thanks
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

I own a set of the ProLinear DSP 820s. I A/B'd them against the JBL 6328s (I think that's the correct model number), and they were the hands-down winner, especially in the low mids. The bass is very clear and accurate, and on the JBL's, it was muddy. These were commercial releases I was listening to, and mixes of mine that I was intimately familiar with.

I find the mix translation excellent, and everyone who hears them says they sound amazing. BTW, I don't endorse Alesis, I just really like these monitors, and I have Tannoy, Genelec, Yamaha, Mackie, etc.

I also love the fact that I can control the frequency response from my PC. They do have presets for Auratone, Boom Box, Genelec, NS-10, etc., and I have A/B'd them with the actual model. They are not exact, but they are close, and provide a way to hear your mix on alternate playback models. At any rate, you can easily set the curve for your room or listening preference.

I paid about $600 for the pair, and I would buy another set. Get the ones with the DSP, you won't regret the extra expense.
Old 8th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Discontinued, that's why they're so cheap. Doesn't mean they suck, just means they didn't sell very many of them.

War
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Discontinued, that's why they're so cheap. Doesn't mean they suck, just means they didn't sell very many of them.

War
But are they any good ?
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

Bumping this up. I had a pair of refurb Truth 2031as fail on me and they wont be in stock for a while. Would the Prolinear 720 (non-dsp) be a good option for a bit more money?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear
...Anyone else?

Thanks.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

I work at a sound company which contains both a great recording studio as well as a great vintage music store - among other things.... (Clients love it when I tell them they can use any guitar, bass, amp, keyboard, etc. that they want in the store on sessions!)

Anyhow, in my experience, Alesis' newer 620's are a much better sounding box than the 720's or 820's. The 620's are technically of a different series & do not contain the DSP but just sound fuller & more flat. I now use a pair of UREI 2X15" coaxial time alligns, Dyn Audios, Event 20/20's, NS10's & these 620's (within a couple of different rooms, of course). Tried to like the 820's but they were the least helpful to me over the other 3 pairs I have in making mix decisions. There's a lot of cloudiness in the mids that I really dislike. Sound so un-flattering & boom-box hyped.

I do love the ability to alter the curve of the frequency responce & now that they're so much cheaper it's more worthwhile but otherwise there are better monitors out there for the money (or a little bit more, if you're able).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search