The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Methods in Gain Staging
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Methods in Gain Staging

Okay, I feel like this is like asking about how to control volume, but obviously I'm no expert because I'm still running into noise and balance issues. It's like some times I land it perfect and sometimes I'm wondering what the hell I'm doing.

I imagine practice makes perfect, but I was wondering if there are any rule of thumb methods that get adapted when putting together a signal chain.

Any FYI pointers to keep in mind?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Are you talking ITB or OTB or hybrid?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

OTB
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
Okay, I feel like this is like asking about how to control volume, but obviously I'm no expert because I'm still running into noise and balance issues. It's like some times I land it perfect and sometimes I'm wondering what the hell I'm doing.

I imagine practice makes perfect, but I was wondering if there are any rule of thumb methods that get adapted when putting together a signal chain.

Any FYI pointers to keep in mind?

Regardless of ITB or OTB, I think the Rane Notes are invaluable...and a required perusal for non-professionals.

Enjoy,
RaneNotes by Number

David
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Regardless of ITB or OTB, I think the Rane Notes are invaluable...and a required perusal for non-professionals.

Enjoy,
RaneNotes by Number

David

Nice keystone man. Thanks!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

on the one hand i hate generalities... but if i had to come up with one for this... it's better to run an output hot and pad down the next stage rather than open up the last stage and pad the output of the previous...
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
on the one hand i hate generalities... but if i had to come up with one for this... it's better to run an output hot and pad down the next stage rather than open up the last stage and pad the output of the previous...
That's what I've been doing lately with an ATTy inserted into the patchbay.

It seems to help. My one biggest issue seems that I push the preamps too hard but I do it to get a decent signal to the end.

Using a tube mixer after it sometimes help carry the load. I have a Midas, but the Midas in between currently hurts the signal's sound quality. I'm trying to run direct to tape as short as possible, and unfortunately I love old ribbon mics.
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm surprised nobody asked about calibrating the tape machine.

That's like #1 in gain staging if you're going to tape.

Of course, I'm in the minority.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search