The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie 800r converters
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Mackie 800r converters

Has anyone A/B-ed the converters in the Mackie 800r with anything of higher quality? I've compared the preamps, but I wonder to what degree the converters would change the sound if I use better preamps. I haven't found much info about the converters in the Mackie.

Thanks, Dave
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

The converters are the same chips used in Apogee stuff - however, how they assemble them, the opamps, power supply etc. etc. have alot to do with the quality of conversion. I would not say the conversion is as good as top shelf stuff, but is better than most - up there with Fireface quality.

The preamps are very nice and the unit is worth every penny just for the pres alone. Maybe not the pre one might use on lead vox, but I have used them to great effect on lead guitars.

Anyway, the converters are excellent by and large. You would have to go up by alot of money to get big improvements in that area. YMMV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search