The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PT HD Delay Compensation - recording and mixing at the same time DAW Software
Old 7th September 2007
PT HD Delay Compensation - recording and mixing at the same time

Hi,

I am a bit confused. I am mixing a song in Pro Tools 7.2 using plugins, delay compensation is turned on and tracks are compensated by something around 1500 samples. When I create a new track and put it in record mode, it switches to monitor input mode and the latency compensation goes off on that channel, which is exactly what I expect. There is no latency perceived in the headphones when I speak to the mic. But when I start recording or just playing back with monitoring the input, the latency occurs! The latency compensation display on that track does not change - it always shows 0 when the track is in record mode... Simplifying: when stopped - there is no latency. When PT is recording or playing back, the latency is there.

Help!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

i'm using and HD2, and I get this once in a while as well. Usually I'll just open a new session and import the session data from the song I;m working on with out the plugs. That solves it. There has got to be a better way than that, but that's what works for me know.

Anyone one else have an answer other than my long work-around?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
i'm using and HD2, and I get this once in a while as well. Usually I'll just open a new session and import the session data from the song I;m working on with out the plugs. That solves it. There has got to be a better way than that, but that's what works for me know.

Anyone one else have an answer other than my long work-around?
You could also make stereo mix and over dub to that. If the latency persists in this mode, try making all tracks with plug-ins inactive.

Good luck.

Charlie
Old 7th September 2007
I don't want to spend any time on this. Apparently PT designers intended to make it work properly because you can see that Delay Compensations is switched off for tracks that are record-armed. Just something is wrong when you drop in to record or playback.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I am experiencing this for the first time as well. I usually track through a console and now im doing a record itb.

how do you guys track only in protools? I am liking the mixing as you go options but start adding plugins and latency gets crazy. Then if you have to rerecord a gtr part or something.

I am tracking with Delay Comp on.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you have a pbay and a mixer you can do it, very easy.
Try search it's here somewhere.
Old 7th September 2007
But this is silly, normally you can disable PDC for selected tracks by holding something (command?) and clicking on "compensation" value in PDC display. PT seems to want to do this for you when you arm a track, because the value goes to 0 as soon as you arm it. But what is the point of all this, when you hear no latency only when PT is stopped?
Old 5th October 2007
bump

any other way of fixing the problem? I still want to use auto input monitoring, I want to monitor via Pro Tools, but why the hell I can't "bypass" the ADC on the track that I record?
Old 5th October 2007
it;s silly, but Logic gives less trouble in that matter... besides Logic has "blend monitoring" which means that you can monitor the input and the track at the same time while playing back (precious for punching in).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search