The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
long guitar amp cable run. signal loss? Microphone Accessories
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
long guitar amp cable run. signal loss?

hi..

im setting up my guitar rack for studio use
I need some opinions

what will work better??

option 1.->
sitting/playing in control room having preamps/poweramps in rack-> running cables from poweramp to cab in studio... cabel run will be aprox 50 feet ( 15 meters) what cables are recommended ??

option 2.->
sitting/playing in control room having preamp in rack-> running line level out from preamp/mixer trough a patch to poweramp+ cab in studio... patch is balanced..

so what will be the bettter solution, I havn`tried out yet cause lack of long cables.. ( for poweramp)

this will be a permanent solution..

one drawback to have the poweramps in the studio is noise..

I really like the options of sitting in control room playing...

Is it critical with long power cable runs?? or is the voltage in the cable too high for any noticable signal loss or coloration??

thanks
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Yeah I'm in a similar situation any suggestions would be great!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Obviously, the shorter the cable lengths the better. But you gotta do what you gotta do...

For your rack situation, a long speaker cable run would be your best bet. Just buy some long, heavy gauge speaker cable and you should be OK.

If you want to play through a combo amp, the Little Labs STD is great for that application.

Cheers,
John
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Option 2.

Balanced lines are made to reject noise over long distances (which to a balance line 50ft is short).

Cheers,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 View Post
hi..

im setting up my guitar rack for studio use
I need some opinions

what will work better??

option 1.->
sitting/playing in control room having preamps/poweramps in rack-> running cables from poweramp to cab in studio... cabel run will be aprox 50 feet ( 15 meters) what cables are recommended ??

option 2.->
sitting/playing in control room having preamp in rack-> running line level out from preamp/mixer trough a patch to poweramp+ cab in studio... patch is balanced..

so what will be the bettter solution, I havn`tried out yet cause lack of long cables.. ( for poweramp)

this will be a permanent solution..

one drawback to have the poweramps in the studio is noise..

I really like the options of sitting in control room playing...

Is it critical with long power cable runs?? or is the voltage in the cable too high for any noticable signal loss or coloration??

thanks
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

fwiw my set up runs from my guitar, through a 6' cable, to the gtr amp head (i rip out all the combos so i can tweak from my control room) into a bay, through a 75' snake, into the live room, out a cab, into a mic, bACK through the snake, into a pre etc.

i love the way my gtr's sound, and that's a whole lotta cable . . .
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

I much prefer to be in the same room as the amp. Fifty feet (or so) of speaker cable won't hurt your tone.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Long speaker cable runs are ok....long unbalanced gtr cable runs are not ok.
Druhms
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear
ok thanks.. so 50`is not too long to "colour" the guitar tone in any way?? using jack plugs schould be ok??
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
ok thanks.. so 50`is not too long to "colour" the guitar tone in any way?? using jack plugs schould be ok??

What do you mean by "jack plugs"? Where I’m from a jack is the female part of a connection and the plug is the male part of a connection.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear
i mean ts 1/4 plugs...sry
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
i mean ts 1/4 plugs...sry
Yes, 1/4" plugs will work just fine.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
Obviously, the shorter the cable lengths the better.
that's not necessarily true. you can actually use your guitar cable lengths to shape the sound.
i was talking to Razorlight's guitar tech the other day - the singer/guitarplayer uses a Gibson L6 and Vox AC30 on stage. the tech said they run about a hundred feet of guitar cable to the amp, and if the cable weren't that long, the sound would much too bright.
the guitar sounded really great. Bright, but smooth and warm.

tom
Old 16th September 2007
mwd
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Thing View Post
you can actually use your guitar cable lengths to shape the sound.
+1

Cable capacitance is measured in picofarads per foot. The capacitance in a guitar cable acts as a low-pass filter cutting the high frequencies.

So, in essence, your cable is a tone control.

I read an article once about a blues player where back in the day the biggest part of his "secret sound" was the 100 ft. cable he used to walk out into the crowd.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Mesa Triaxis pre/ Simul-Class 395 power amp rack in the tracking room for players tracking live with the band. If we're doing quick overdubs in the control room, I'll use a Little Labs STD to run the guitar out to the tracking room. If we're setting up to re-track all the guitars from the control room, I'll bring the rack in and use long speaker runs. If you have to choose one or the other, I'd keep the pre and power amp together and go with longer speaker cables. HTH
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

check out the radial SGI. i use one in my studio. it balances the guitar signal so i just keep all my guitar gear in the live room and run the guitar signal over a balanced XLR through a wall jack. i hear virtually no signal loss.

I also can run a longer speaker jack where i split up the head and cab. i like having that option because it's much easier to tweak the settings on the amp. but i like the radial SGI because i tend to do quite a few projects w/ combo amps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search