The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What cab for a dual recto???
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

What cab for a dual recto???

hi guys,

whats the best cab to run a mesa dual recto through? ive heard the marshall cabs get rid of that nasty hi end fizz these amps throw out. or would i be better off getting a mesa cab for the job. a 4x12 is a bit big, would a 2x12 do the same job?

thanks in advance!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by obolewis View Post
hi guys,

whats the best cab to run a mesa dual recto through? ive heard the marshall cabs get rid of that nasty hi end fizz these amps throw out. or would i be better off getting a mesa cab for the job. a 4x12 is a bit big, would a 2x12 do the same job?

thanks in advance!
Mesa cabs are definitely smoother than marshall ones, they feature a customized version of the celestion Vintage 30 wich sounds, IMO, way darker than the original. They are among the best guitar cabs I've tried so far and a great match for Dual Rectos and their hi end fizz.

Talking marshall, the first thing I would say is... stay away from the GT-75 cones especially if you got a Recto. A 1960 Vintage would be good, airy but still a little bit fizzy.

I had a guitar session some time ago and I recorded both cabs with two Rectos feeding the loop return of the second head with the loop send of the first. I may post some clips if you are interested.

About the 2x12, 4x12 thing the answer is definitely NO, they do sound very different. The 4x12 is mid-forward with a well defined bottom end whilst the 2x12 is more on the boomy side. When I had a 2x12 I used to pass a lot of time eq-ing the lows especially on single note resonances until I swithced to a 4x12 and everything naturally falled into place.

I'm not saing that the 2x12 is a bad cab but with a Recto...4x12 is the way to go! thumbsup

PS I recently A/B-ed a mesa and a kock, both 2x12, at a guitar center with a Mesa Nomad 45 head and the kock was the clear winner. More mids, more air less congested bottom end. If you have the chance give it a try, it could be a good alternative.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Funny, I think the mesa 2x12 is one of the best cabinets out there. I use it all the time with a variety of boutique heads and it always delivers. For my money it's great setup with a dual rec.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
Funny, I think the mesa 2x12 is one of the best cabinets out there. I use it all the time with a variety of boutique heads and it always delivers. For my money it's great setup with a dual rec.
And it is...I like it for certain things but as always in music, good (or even great) dosen't mean suited for all the situations.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

FWIW, I've yet to pass a head through the Peavey XXX cab that didn't sound great.
Old 7th September 2007
Sounds like the classic, "it hurts when I raise my arm" senario.

Try a different amp.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search