The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio monitors; past, present and future. What do we expect from them? Studio Monitors
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

Studio monitors; past, present and future. What do we expect from them?

Hi every one.
I'd like to say hello to the forum users in general and start a topic on studio monitors.
I think it would be great if we could try to look into what a studio monitor is for everyone of us - what we expect from it and what we would like them to become in the future.
I for have used a fair amount of different models and while one gets used to almost any monitor in the end, I was always looking for the one that would simply make my mixes translate on other systems without big surprises and at the same time be agreeable to work with without too much fatigue. Not an easy task to accomplish in this subjective field of ours.
What is your experience - what do you like about certain monitors, what would you change. Or have you got the one and only?
Voilà. I think that is it for the introduction.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

For myself, you already laid it out really well.

I just want things to translate with no surprises. And non fatigueing.

I think monitors are an extremely personal decision. Sound is completely
subjective.
You have to find a monitor that speaks your "language". A speaker
that gives you the particular cues you need to make critical decisions,
with eq , comp, etc... This is different for everybody.

Look at all the different monitors used by all the great engineers, who
put out great mixes on so many of them.
This suggests to me, that great mixes come from great engineers. The monitor is just a tool.

I just bought a pair of Adams A7's. They speak my language.
I love them. My sounds are translating fairly effortlessly after only
a week or so. But of course, ive heard many people say they
hate the A7's, which goes back to the original point.
There's no such thing as a bad, good, or best monitor.
Only a monitor that works for you.
T
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I am with you in the translation stakes- I want a monitor that I can mix on and I know what to expect when I check the mixes elsewhere.
ns-10m and AR-18 do it for me.

HOWEVER! I would like to find a replacement for these BEFORE the drivers blow and I'm left unable to work! I can find absolutely nothing that satisfies me... either seem great but are about £1000 more than nearfields should ever be or are small boxes hyped to sound like big boxes- unrealistic curves and flabby low ends (the A7 springs to mind here particularly- I would have been very happy with them if theyd stopped trying to put the unnatural lows in.)
My other requirement personally is something I can take off to studios and track with- actives, good mid detail, not too much low but what is there is true and non fatiguing highs.
Does it exist? not for under £2000 I'll bet!
Old 7th September 2007

Did you ever audition the KRK V6 series 2? I don't know what they sold for in Merry England, but they seem to have what you are after.

Can't say about the redesigned V series yet. I need to go listen to some.

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search