The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hmmm... YouTube "star" actually a Major Label Plant Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Okay Gentlemen here is some information.
I spoke with someone who actually was producing her at one time, not so long ago.
It's my understanding that Marié Digby was signed to Hollywood records and she found out her album was going to be essentially shelved by the label.
When she found out this news she changed her Myspace page from Major to None.
She then jumped in and started doing the videos and posting them on You Tube.
Once she started getting many, many views, Hollywood Records thought they should take another look at her, (even though at the time she was essentially shelved.)

So as I suspected nothing nefarious was going on.
She came up with a way to try and save her career from going the way of so many artist go, getting shelved.
I worked on a project with an artist for a year for Warner Bros. and when we turned it in, WB said "that's nice" and proceeded to shelve the entire project.
So I understand the frustration in her not wanting to end up in the same place as many other artist have before her.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

That must suck - getting no support from your label and then being told by the world what a lying b**ch you are because you owe all your success to them - and all over a YouTube video shot in the bathroom. Well, that's show biz.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
That must suck - getting no support from your label and then being told by the world what a lying b**ch you are because you owe all your success to them - and all over a YouTube video shot in the bathroom. Well, that's show biz.
Thats why you dont sign with a major. Check this thread -> The beauty of being on a major label
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
She came up with a way to try and save her career from going the way of so many artist go, getting shelved.
Good for her!

Quote:
I worked on a project with an artist for a year for Warner Bros. and when we turned it in, WB said "that's nice" and proceeded to shelve the entire project. So I understand the frustration in her not wanting to end up in the same place as many other artist have before her.
Likewise.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I spoke with someone who actually was producing her at one time, not so long ago.
It's my understanding that Marié Digby was signed to Hollywood records and she found out her album was going to be essentially shelved by the label.
Once she started getting many, many views, Hollywood Records thought they should take another look at her, (even though at the time she was essentially shelved.)
At the risk of soundng like Columbo - just one more thing - the dates:
- "umbrella" her first youtube video went up 29 May
- according to the WSJ "Her version of “Umbrella” that is being sold at Apple's iTunes Store is a high-quality studio recording made in June by Hollywood Records."

It's all a bit sudden isnt it?

What she actually said to the reporter about removing the label info from her myspace page was: "I didn't feel like it was something that was going to make people like me.”

The WSJ arent allowed to make this stuff - dates or quotes - up. They check every fact before they print, especially an piece like this, especially if it involves a litigious company like Disney.

Someone is stretching the truth. Wall Street Journal or Hollywood Records...? Hmm, I wonder.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ya you're probably right, I've never heard of a the wall street journal printing a retraction.

Do a google search, you might be a bit surprised.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

All the singers these days sound alike. Like they are coming out of the same factory. BORING!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I bite disapointing but an amazing marketing plan. I give it to them on that one.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy No View Post
The WSJ arent allowed to make this stuff - dates or quotes - up. They check every fact before they print, especially an piece like this, especially if it involves a litigious company like Disney.
Careful, you can't believe everything you read, even from the WSJ - especially now that Rupert Murdoch owns them. Once upon a time, Fox News was actually considered trustworthy and CNN actually reported real news instead of fluff.

The truth in this whole thing lies somewhere between naivite, desire and greed. Sounds like she may have gotten pissed off at the label and started to promote herself as "unsigned". Understandable emotional reaction. But unfortunately, if she was signed, she can't just change that by changing the tick box on her MySpace page. Maybe that was just her being naive, but unless you know here personally you could argue either way that it was being naive, or intentionally misleading.

As for whether this all will hurt or help her is hard to say in this day and age. Integrity is something that seems to matter less and less to today's generation. When Milli Vanilli were revealed as frauds, they were deader than dead instantly - no second chance there. Yet somehow in today's environment, Ashlee Simpson is still making albums....go figure.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Alien View Post
As for whether this all will hurt or help her is hard to say in this day and age. Integrity is something that seems to matter less and less to today's generation. When Milli Vanilli were revealed as frauds, they were deader than dead instantly - no second chance there. Yet somehow in today's environment, Ashlee Simpson is still making albums....go figure.

Wow, lets not compare Milli Vanilli to Ashlee Simpson or to this girl, totally different story. Ashlee Simpson DID perform with backup track, but so do a ****load of huge artists, even on tour... so it's not like that was really a big thing, at least not in my book. Milli Vanilli didnt even perform on their own records, thats not even in the same ballpark as Ashlee's SNL incident.

And I have to disagree, INTEGRITY matters. The reason why Avril Lavigne blew up is because her label built the PERCEPTION (it's obviously not the truth) that she's a "real and genuine" artist. That's what drew people to her, it wasnt the music. They were selling an image... the anti-image! Read: "I'm so real and punk-rock, I dont care what people think of me".

Quote:
2nd: Do any of you who don't like what the label has done, do you have kids in that age group?
I have 4 kids ages 10-16 and I asked them last night if it bothered them that her label did this. The answering was a resounding no!
If she comes out with an album they like, they will listen to it.
Pure and simple, that was their bottom line.
Some kids CARE about their favorite artist being real. Maybe not all, maybe not the High School Musical fans, but a lot of them do.... not all kids are the same. Some prefer a whiny R&B singer, who sings about breakup, and others prefer some edgy wannabe punk-chick, who's "real and hardcore". It's not black and white. People in their 30s dont all dig the same stuff either, same with kids or teenagers. If Hollywood Records is going for the High School musical fans, then it wont matter. If they want to establish her (Marie Digby) as a genuine and real artist, who plays guitar and writes her own songs, then this IS gonna backfire.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietdrive View Post
Some kids CARE about their favorite artist being real. Maybe not all, maybe not the High School Musical fans, but a lot of them do.... not all kids are the same. Some prefer a whiny R&B singer, who sings about breakup, and others prefer some edgy wannabe punk-chick, who's "real and hardcore". It's not black and white. People in their 30s dont all dig the same stuff either, same with kids or teenagers. If Hollywood Records is going for the High School musical fans, then it wont matter. If they want to establish her (Marie Digby) as a genuine and real artist, who plays guitar and writes her own songs, then this IS gonna backfire.
Hey all she has to do is convince the one's that don't care and she is off and running selling records , out of a population of 300,000,000 she is off to a good start with 2.3mil hits on youtube , i'm sure the 12-18 year olds will find it in their little hearts to forgive the girl for any 'wrong' doing ,lol heh

She's got us talking about her,no?

More power to her , go Marie
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have so many dear friends who were signed to the biggest record labels in the world, made amazing albums and were DROPPED. that's it..
yeah, that sounds pretty normal, most average kids making music have "so many" mates signed to the biggest labels in the world...

f*ck off
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Such a letdown - I thought this was going to be a story about a talented daffodil :(
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Uh... Shes hot. + The Girls got talent. Why can't we just accept it like it is? Anyone whos spent lots of time on myspace and youtube knows this:

Even Major record labels struggle with social networking and viral marketing just like anyone else. Its not that "easy" to "scam people" into constantly clicking on your content.

How many myspace pages of "major" artists do we see that consistantly get low traffic? I mean constantly.. Yet there are thousands of "indies" out there with more "friends" and more pageviews. Its a tough way to market, just like anything else. There is NOTHING they can do to make millions of people keep clicking on someones profile/video. It boils down to the artists' talent and their "likeability" whether they are attractive, or seem "reachable" to these users.

The playing field tends to be more leveled between indie and major as far as myspace and youtube is concerned. Both, have to work equally as hard to earn those clicks. So if someone finds success with this type of marketing, we shouldn't downplay their hard work... The numbers speak for themselves... Besides.. shes hot.. what can I say?

Her story is not so far fetched IMO.

Quote:

I worked on a project with an artist for a year for Warner Bros. and when we turned it in, WB said "that's nice" and proceeded to shelve the entire project.
So I understand the frustration in her not wanting to end up in the same place as many other artist have before her.
I believe what Tony said here. So many artists get shelved everyday by majors.. Who knows why this happens so often.. Tax write-off probably... This is a compelling story, and I don't smell any foul play. Just a good looking, hardworking girl who took her career into her own hands and did whatever she could to keep float. From my own experiences, I can respect that.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Breaking news...

EVERY major label is actively trying to utilize viral online marketing to get their acts out there. They have droves of interns sitting around at PCs pimping artists on myspace, YouTube, everywhere... Even Rick Rubin talked about this being a major focus, just last week in the NYT mag article. I don't see what the outrage is all about; It's old news!
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Tolentino View Post
Uh... Shes hot. + The Girls got talent.

Hmmm...

She is tasty sure enough. But so what!

Cute girl singing cute covers which will be background music for cute adolescent Emo teen films and tv series.

That's it.

But that will be enough for all concerned probably.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

YouTube Revenue-Sharing Makes Dollars and Sense | Searchviews - Daily insights on Search Marketing, Social Media and SEO by Reprise Media.

Whoa, that's awesome. Every garage band that was sticking their homebrew mp3s on MySpace can now iMovie a video and see some pennies trickle in for thier efforts...

Alternately, if the ad-driven sites deter viewers, it could just spur a derth of YouTube iimitators.

The market will just keep blindly banging around until it lands on something that sticks... Exciting times!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I tend to agree with resonant alien, it's much more likely to be a mix of "naivete, desire and greed" than anything particularly smart, or clearcut.

But why anyone did what they did surely isnt entirely that relevant (maybe her manager at the label is under real pressure, what with baby being sick and the new bosses at Disney and the gambling debts and so on... would that change it into 'okay?' What if they were a 24 year old fresh faced girl too? Would it be okay then?)

It's a really interesting saga though. There's something epic about the fact that something so hyped as being authentic is exposed as a fake. It's kind of perfect in that respect.

Who is stretching the truth (ie lying)?

- the WSJ who so badly wanted a 'next Lonely Girl 15' story

- the label who says they just gave her the computer and had no real input to the online content (and yet coincidentally recorded her bedroom cover of Umbrella a few weeks later, having 'essentially shelved' her... just in case it really took off?)

- Marie Digby herself who 'naively' removed the fact she was signed to a label from her myspace page, which just happened to go better with her YouTube movies and her "I'd never have dreamed that..." interviews in the media.

Probably all of them are lying to some extent. It will probably fizzle out. Nobody really cares that much and nobody got hurt. But it's still wrong.

And next time a real bedroom star comes from nearly nowhere except a long slog of great local gigs, there will just be that little bit less public credence.

Maybe in a decade or so a lie detector plug in will be available in TDM format...?

:J
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Guys, I really need your help. What do you think of this posting I found on YouTube?

"My names Amber, i just put a new video of myself up, i get almost naked. I think my body is beautiful and i want to share it with others. I was raised in a mormon house hold and taught that my body was to be covered...well screw my parents, I'm in college now n' I'm 20 years old! So check it out and holla at me if u wanna hang out some time, i don't have a boyfriend.

Kisses
Amber"

I really feel a personal connection with Amber. Prior to the sinister and deceptive campaign launched by Ms. Digby and her label, I would have been eager to contact Amber to find out if maybe she was 'the one'. I would've been absolutely positive that what Amber had posted was nothing but the truth.

Now though I am just so confused! I mean, YouTube was widely considered the platform for showcasing high art in America before Ms. Digby and her evil cohorts came along. Now what?!

Digby and her label have completely destroyed the trust and online integrity that YouTube had worked so hard to establish.

Where will our great nation turn now that we can no longer trust in YouTube to guide our way?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

more crap....music is as disposable as a old cell phone...
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I agree with BLueROom, I think it's a brilliant strategy and whoever came up with the idea at Hollywood should get a raise.

Why not use the internet for that propose?
With all the content that You Tube has, people will either like or dislike Marié Digby.
If there is no talent there she wouldn't have 2.3 million views.

Hollywood Records is not fooling the public with her talent, they just figured out a clever way to get her viewed.

Brilliant Strategy!
Inevitable, but hardly "brilliant".
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Guys, I really need your help. What do you think of this posting I found on YouTube?

"My names Amber, i just put a new video of myself up, i get almost naked. I think my body is beautiful and i want to share it with others. I was raised in a mormon house hold and taught that my body was to be covered...well screw my parents, I'm in college now n' I'm 20 years old! So check it out and holla at me if u wanna hang out some time, i don't have a boyfriend.

Kisses
Amber"

I really feel a personal connection with Amber. Prior to the sinister and deceptive campaign launched by Ms. Digby and her label, I would have been eager to contact Amber to find out if maybe she was 'the one'. I would've been absolutely positive that what Amber had posted was nothing but the truth.

Now though I am just so confused! I mean, YouTube was widely considered the platform for showcasing high art in America before Ms. Digby and her evil cohorts came along. Now what?!

Digby and her label have completely destroyed the trust and online integrity that YouTube had worked so hard to establish.

Where will our great nation turn now that we can no longer trust in YouTube to guide our way?
Hilarious!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

wow...I know a girl named amber..hehehehethumbsup
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Guru

here's an interesting twist... a few days after the wsj article popped, the nytimes ran an article on her and, somehow, there was no mention of any of these youtube/label shenanigans.

now, i'm not one to wonder what corporations own what media outlets, but how on earth could the nytimes print an article on this woman and not mention the controversy?

ahhh journalism... old grey mare ain't what she used to be.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

My apologies, That’s why I don’t like posting while sipping on Vodka.

I did make a mistake on Youtubes ownership, I am still caught up on the WSJ recent purchase.

But my question is what did she really do wrong? Posted that she was not signed by a major? She did the same thing anyone else has the ability to do; record herself with a camcorder playing songs. If she sucked then no one would have watched it and no one would be having this conversation but people noticed.

If you are an artist signed to a major label that does not guarantee that a machine will be behind you, bands are shelved all the time. If an artist is on a major label they still need to try to further their career. Think about if you where signed to Hollywood and Cavallo did not give the green light, would you just sulk or try to create something to prove him wrong?

If this is a scam (Ken is smart but not that evil/smart) is it the end of the world for all music?

I don’t hear anyone crying about Smashing Pumpkins getting signed to Virgin but Virgin put the first record out on Caroline to give them some Indie Credibility.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax View Post
YouTube Revenue-Sharing Makes Dollars and Sense | Searchviews - Daily insights on Search Marketing, Social Media and SEO by Reprise Media.

Alternately, if the ad-driven sites deter viewers, it could just spur a derth of YouTube iimitators.

The market will just keep blindly banging around until it lands on something that sticks... Exciting times!
The announcement was made in January. How did it all pan out?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Come On guys us Brits did all this last year!!!!!!!!!!

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/netmusic/...786403,00.html

She had a number 1 too.....I went to college with the girl,
great voice and a unexpected sucess. Personally it made
me feel a little bit annoyed but at the same time its hardly
the crime of the century. Labels lie all the time, the classic
for me is artist x recorded his album in his bedroom? Really?
I would definitely like a bedroom with a Neve VR and a HD
rig! Is it any worse than Valerie Simpson recording Tammi
Terrels vocals in secret so Motown could get another
Marvin Gaye duet album out while she was on her death bed?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano View Post
The announcement was made in January. How did it all pan out?
As a PR ploy, it's gone great. They get all the publicity of being a populist company, but they just somehow never get around to sharing anything with anyone. People are still posting, so why bother? Of course, it may also have something to do with the fact that, although they were bought for $1.5 billion, they only made $15 million last year.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
An internet superstar - or just another rock'n'roll swindle? | | Guardian Unlimited Arts

She had a number 1 too.....I went to college with the girl,
great voice and a unexpected sucess. Personally it made
me feel a little bit annoyed but at the same time its hardly
the crime of the century. Labels lie all the time, the classic
for me is artist x recorded his album in his bedroom? Really?
I would definitely like a bedroom with a Neve VR and a HD
rig! Is it any worse than Valerie Simpson recording Tammi
Terrels vocals in secret so Motown could get another
Marvin Gaye duet album out while she was on her death bed?
The thing that matters is this... WHERE IS SANDI THOM NOW? I cant find her anywhere. And thats good. If you want longevity you GOTTA have credibility. If you want to be just another TMZ/PerezHilton ho, who is as big as her last hit, then hey... be the major label puppet and join their shady marketing plans. But understand that it aint gonna get you more than 15 minutes of fame.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietdrive View Post
If you want to be just another TMZ/PerezHilton ho, who is as big as her last hit, then hey... be the major label puppet and join their shady marketing plans. But understand that it aint gonna get you more than 15 minutes of fame.

it may also help for them to understand that 15 minutes of fame in the music biz passes a lot quicker these days, often ends in a big, public mess, and (perhaps more to the point) is a hell of a lot less lucrative than people imagine.

i'd like the record biz to look and function more like the book biz; physical storefronts, people dedicated to the form as much as the content, smaller, localized communities, and successes of typically very modest proportions that allow the artist to continue the craft as a life's vocation.

few authors seem to have fantasies involving legions of screaming fans chasing after the fat limo as it heads to all the right parties; many (most?) musicians have that exact fantasy. a restructured industry that focuses on developing local talents on smaller scales could reshape how the musicmakers themselves envision success, which might be a good thing for everyone involved... not least of all, the listener.

gregoire
del
ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search