The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My first good experience with jazz and no eq!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

My first good experience with jazz and no eq!

I thought I'd just share my recent experience recording a great jazz group. I have been recording a record for a new singer that has hired some top list jazz guys. All of them have some serious chops and the credits to match. I have never recorded such awsome jazz players in my life, but honestly, I haven't recorded much real jazz.
So, starting this record certainly put me on my toes. I typically record rock in it's various forms and truely enjoy the color that great gear injects to the rock n roll mojo. I have very few neutral sounding items in my arsenal and most of my gear is pretty noisey to modern "digital" standards.
So, I set the sax, trumpet, piano, and bass up in the big room and they all had no issues with putting the singer in a booth as well as the drums in it's own room (thank God for professionals). I took my time with mic positioning keeping in mind the problems with micing upright bass in an ensemble environment. Plugged it all in, refined the positioning a little, and it was wonderfull! I litterally had no eq on anything! That is a first for me. I was so thrilled to get such a great sound with no eq and very little experience in such a critical environment.
So now when I read about all of those old great engineers recording all of those great sounding classic records without eq, it kind of makes more sense to me now. This experience definitely will help me keep good technique in mind during more mundane projects.
Thanks for listening.
Druhms
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Congratulations man! While it's not my area of work, I would really like to record a jazz band or something like that. Must have been a great experience.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Congratulations man! While it's not my area of work, I would really like to record a jazz band or something like that. Must have been a great experience.
+1
Old 7th September 2007
You have discovered the world of quality talent that is better than your gear.
Funny, it used to be like that years ago. Now that the general talent level is at an all time low, the AE's job has turned to turd polishing. With great talent, use the most neutral gear and get out of the way. Nothing is better than that.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

I recorded over an hour of some imrpov that me and 2 other guys did just using 2 condensors in the room. Stuff was relatively clean, not much rock/driving music. I played drums a lot of the time, and didn't bang the crap out of them. And times when keyboard, bass, guitar, and electronic drums were going on, you can pick everything out perfectly. I think it has a lot to do with breathing room and sonic clutter.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Jazzers tend to be very aware of their own sound and the proper balance of their instrument to the group so some of the mixing is already being done while tracking by the players. Thats one of the biggest reasons you could put so many guys in a room with a few mics and it came out good. I don't think I've ever played a live jazz gig where each guy keep upping their volume to be heard till it all turned to a wall of loud mud (with jazz it's suposed to be about the conversation the instruments are having with each other), however with the rock gigs there are always certain guitarists or drummers you have to "remind" to keep the sound nice and not to overplay the room (or you won't have enough cowbell LOL).
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

yea, well...the best bands are the ones that mix themselves
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You have discovered the world of quality talent that is better than your gear.
Funny, it used to be like that years ago. Now that the general talent level is at an all time low, the AE's job has turned to turd polishing. With great talent, use the most neutral gear and get out of the way. Nothing is better than that.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Man, for real! I spend the majority of my time either polishing turds, or arguing whith a player about how not to creat one. Seems like most of the rock players have little interest in actually learning their instrument. No matter how big their budget is, there are always headaches and attitudes.
Druhms
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just make sure that if they have good headphones that they have a really stellar headphone mix or monitor mix. Basically, the good jazzers playing ceilings will be determined by how good they can hear everybody.

More so than any other music, Jazz is about the flow of the piece rather than the individual parts.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

btw, any samples for letting us hear?
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Not yet. We're mixing next week (Sept 11 +). If I can find the time (or even keep in mind) I'll try to get a couple of clips up for your constructive criticisim.
Druhms

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search