The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pre-amps with 002r? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

pre-amps with 002r?

Looking for pre-amps to use with Digi 002r and neumann km184s (and sm57s). I think a 2-4 channel pre-amp would be a good idea. I'd spend I suppose up to $1200 but am a bit flexible. Any suggestions? comments?

Last edited by Fergusan Latkey; 6th September 2007 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: needed more info
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Dav BG-2 is a 4 channel pre for around that price. D.A.V. electronics - The Broadhurst Gardens No. 2 Mic Amp
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

There are many great pre's out there, One thing I really like to do, and always do it if I can, is bypass the analog stages of teh 002 and use a better converter and go in digitally, this alone will help give some more definition to any pre. This probally won't happen on the budget, but something down the line to consider. The focustrie ISA 428 has a digital option that is pretty good.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

DAV BG
+1
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think before people start throwing out recommendations we need to know what you're going to record. The DAV is a good recommendation but say if you're doing a lot of drums and electric guitars then you may want api, or great river, or any of the other countless pres out there. Or you can go with a bunch of flavors and get some seventh circle audio pres.
Old 8th September 2007
Here for the gear

more context

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I think before people start throwing out recommendations we need to know what you're going to record. The DAV is a good recommendation but say if you're doing a lot of drums and electric guitars then you may want api, or great river, or any of the other countless pres out there. Or you can go with a bunch of flavors and get some seventh circle audio pres.
you are absolutely right. I should give more context I record electric and acoustic guitars (finger picking styles and full chords), vocals, analog/digital hardware synths (dx7, juno 60, doepfer a-100, cz-101) and drum machines. I am interested in dense layers, soft electronica, and I suppose experimental pop.

the dav bg-2 would cost $1606.5 since I live in nyc. It looks really nice, but if digital input to the 002r is the best option I suppose I would go up further in price. The black lion I really need to research more about, it seems like too easy a solution maybe? I mean it's 450-750 depending on the extent of the upgrade? Would this this be something I wouldn't outgrow for awhile?

Last edited by Fergusan Latkey; 7th October 2007 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: incorrect
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

api ap2

what about the API a2d? wouldn't this be a major improvement?
It seems 2 high quality preamps with digital outs and clock options and a/d converters, and 2 line ins? would really take a 002r to the next level for only $1600. Is there anything I should be wary of, the unit/company seem to have positive reputation. Perhaps I could move on the BLA mod in a few months. anyone have suggestions?

Last edited by Fergusan Latkey; 10th September 2007 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: mispell
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear
A2D would be an excellent choice.....but make sure it will interface properly and sync properly with your 002.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search