The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Maselec MPL-2...Pendulum PL-2...or ??? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Maselec MPL-2...Pendulum PL-2...or ???

I've been a digital (and disappointed I might add) guy for quite a few years until I recently switched to analog buying a Trident 8T and some outboard. I've noticed a huge difference and I'm quite happy about the results I get now until it comes to finalize the mix. I always used to add a 2 or 3 db of gain reduction with the L2 and the damn thing used to work ok (not great or very good..just ok) making the mix louder without causing too much damage to it.

The point is.. in an all digital chain the L2 has its place but right now, it seems to really bring my mixes down a step. Hard to describe that, not being a native english speaker but the feeling is that the drums lose contour and the dynamics get smashed.

I have an Aphex dominator II and definitely like way more the way it "clips" (at least drums don't lose their punch) but being a multiband everytime I stick it on the mix buss AAAAARGHHH ...something terrible happens...and definitely I don't think that that's its place without some serious mods.

Well...sorry for the long introduction but to get straight to the point I have been looking and searching for some weeks in order to find that "magic box" that may suits my needs.

Maybe at this point someone might start thinking... :

ok this is the thousandth "an analog L2 substitue..?" thread

and he would be definitely right , but before you start freaking me out it'd be helpful to receive some opinions about the gear I mentioned in the title .

PS. For those who're gonna say

"is there anyway to get you cocksuckers to stop using that piece of ****?" (that's an actual quote and it's not so difficult to guess who's the author heh)

I say...I know that guys...but I promise it's the first and last time I ask you !!! I won't bother you again

Going back to the topic these units look and are supposed to work in a similar way with the exception of a pair of features. The Maselec has a Hi-Limiter De-Esser section and a Hard/Soft switch while the Pendulm uses two selectable circuits (JFET and MOSFET) to provide two characteristic and distinct sounds.

The main use would be obviously on the 2buss.

Any user ? Which one would you suggest ? Is there something else out there that might suits my situation?

Any hint will be really appreciated!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

PENDULUM RULES!!! Dude, people having been freaking like never before since I got that box. You can really make things jump out. 3-D like. Freakish.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply 84k.

Since you got it could you tell me what's the difference between the JFET and MOSFET modes ?

How many db of reduction do you apply usually ?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

BUMP.....

Any other opinion ? heh
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've got the Maselec and REALLY like it.

Greg builds some nice stuff, but haven't had a chance to check out the PL-2.
Old 21st September 2010
Here for the gear
I actually use the pl-2. i reach about 5/6 db of compression. the drums remains THE SAME heh. Plus the mixer are birighter, wider and LOUDER.
L2 SUCKZ

c u soon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search