The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question: How to get Hardcore/Metal Vocal Sound? Dynamic Microphones
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Question: How to get Hardcore/Metal Vocal Sound?

Hey fellow Slutz!

I have a session this weekend with a Hardcore/Metal band. I've listened to that type of music to prepare but I am looking for the best way to get that screaming in the mic sound that is most common and/or effective...any suggestions? I know they don't multi track the vocal but there seems to be some effect they are using to thicken it up.

Look forward to hearing from you folks.

Thanks!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Honestly, alot of the sound is in the vocalist. I record a ton of screamo type bands and the good ones need nothing more than a dynamic mic. However some guys need tons of compression, eq and in some cases sansamp or a similar distortion plugin is required to get more grit in the vocals. If you have a distortion plug and you think the vocalist sounds a little thin, try it.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

us a split to an amp or amp modeler and/or use a distressor nuked
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

jonboy pretty much nailed it...the trick to great screaming vox seems to be:

1)use a dynamic mic(SM7, RE-20, or even a 57/58 if you have to)

2)don't be afraid to compress the **** out of it if needed - a lot of folks like using the 1176, distressor, or any other "aggressive" sort of comp/limiter

3)make sure they actually scream with some balls...some people do some half-assed guttural moan kind of thing, and expect it to sound good. if you experience this, tell the singer that it doesn't sound the same going into the mic as it does in their head.

4)try to leave it as dry as possible - unless being used for creative effect, use chorus/reverb and other such effects as sparingly as possible
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

A very big +1 for the SM7b on screamers and metal in general type vocals.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

If the guy is going to do the real "death growls", or whatever they are calling them, the effect is great when a 58 is cupped in the singers hand. SM7 is also killer. Intensity and "groove" are big parts of this, so I have found that although I like the SM7 sound, giving a singer a 58 and clearing out my live room lets them just run around and do their thing. I know that it sounds totally chaotic, but it works. I track through an api 7600 with the comp on, usually not metering much though, then the Distressor with brit mode is my favorite for the mix.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

+1 on the SM7. Normally I run thru an API 512c and I compress the poopoo out of it. Sometimes doubles work well to accentuate certain parts. I like layering screams in some ambient spaces as well for texture and fill. A whisper with the right compression, EQ and distortion can really thicken up parts too, just make sure they are doubling perfectly.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search