The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bus Powered Firewire Interfaces? Audio Interfaces
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Bus Powered Firewire Interfaces?

Are there any bus-powered firewire interfaces that don't require an external power supply?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

RME FF400
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut
The RME FF400 (not 800) and - I think - the Focusrite Saffire Pros
Old 7th September 2007
The 'non-pro' Saffires will run bus-powered, as will the Digi Mbox 2 Pro...
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Apogee duet
M-audio fw 410
M-audio fw 1814
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mind that most, if not all, of these will not work with the latest Macbooks (also Macbook Pro) and AFAIK also iMacs, which have significantly reduced buspower supply...
Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
Mind that most, if not all, of these will not work with the latest Macbooks (also Macbook Pro) and AFAIK also iMacs, which have significantly reduced buspower supply...
I've got a 1st gen Macbook which runs the Mbox 2 Pro and the original Focusrite Saffire with no problems whatsoever.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

MOTU ultralite.

works fantastic with my MBP 15.whatever.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

this is supposed to be out this month. I just found out about it.

Apogee Electronics: Products: Duet

There is another thread on this in the new product forum.

I have a FF400 now and it does work, but I use external power anyway. With the Duet, I don't think it would suck as much firewire power/bandwidth as a FF400 - guys correct me if I am wrong. I am just guessing it needs more bandwidth for more channels of audio....

Scott
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

m-audio 410 and 1814 works with standard 15" mbp c2d (first c2d). Guess that is rev. 2? Are there alterations in the bus power supply from this revision to the newest?
M
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

MOTU: Traveller and Ultralight
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wow thanks for all the posts! I guess I shoud have been a little more specific, I didn't know there was such a variety to choose from... Basically, I dislike the E-MU interfaces that require you to use the software mixer program (which I think also has to be open for sound to go anywhere) Anyways, I would want the interface itself to have a volume control for the monitors instead of me having to use the software to adjust the monitor volume, do any of these do this? Also, my price range is 500$ or less.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

The duet is $495 list
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

M-audio Profire Lightbridge works great with MBP, bus powered with volume control.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

The duet looks killer, but I am a PC guy, (just priced out a MBP with applicable discounts for 3600.00 compared to same specs on a dell with discounts at 2400.00, so the price difference for the same specs made the choice obvious for me.[2.4ghz C2D, 4gb ram, etc...])

I wish the duet was for both systems. I am thinking the fireface400 would be the highest quality for my position? what about this? USBPre Microphone Interface for Computer Audio | Sound Devices, LLC its not firewire, but looks like its still bus powered..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search