The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Patching methodologies: Preamp>comp Single-Channel Preamps
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Head

Patching methodologies: Preamp>comp

Can somebody advice me on the pros and cons of different patching between preamps and compressors?

I have the Great River ME-1NV preamp and Fatso and I know that it is possible to route the signal from the first amplifier stages into Fatso then return the signal back into the mic preamp’s output stage. Would it be a better solution then lets say just taking the output of Fatso directly into AD?

Thanks
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Anyone?heh
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, as far as signal chain goes, when you take the insert point and send it to the comp, there has been one less gain stage, so theoretically the signal is a little cleaner, but it depends how you are driving the input to the GR. Also, the fatso is not exactly transparent, so it is really a matter of taste. Also, you may like the sound of the GR output gain as your gain makeup more than you like the sound of the fatso output. If you want clean, then put the fatso on the insert and use the tracking comp (just the green light at the top). Just experiment though, there are a lot of different combinations that can be achieved with these 2 boxes.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivale View Post
Can somebody advice me on the pros and cons of different patching between preamps and compressors?

I have the Great River ME-1NV preamp and Fatso and I know that it is possible to route the signal from the first amplifier stages into Fatso then return the signal back into the mic preamp’s output stage. Would it be a better solution then lets say just taking the output of Fatso directly into AD?

Thanks

In your situation, there is no "better". Either would be fine.

The simplest would be from the GR to the EL-7. Just a single balanced line.

Plus you can use the FATSO in series for over the top FX, separate processing or more controllable compression.

Just decouple channel 1&2's controls and go GR=>EL7-1=>EL7-2=>A/D.

Cheers,
David
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for very interesting suggestions. I’m using this set up for finger picking acoustic guitar recordings and very dynamic (nicely dynamic) female vocals and somehow I found that I’m getting great results with my acoustic guitar but not so great when it comes to vocals. I guess it is all about finding the right gain balance between Great River “Input”/”Output” and Fatso’s “Input/”Output”. I always have to keep the input gain on GR around 30 and the output gain at 12 O’clock then Fatso’s input at about 3 and output almost full to the right…

I’d like to try the Fatso in series and I’d really appreciate any advice on possible settings between all these units (dangers, benefits and general ideas of what to look for etc)

Thanks!

Carnivale

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

It is all about gain structure.

Get nice levels on the GR with the vocals. If they are REALLY dynamic, then adjust the GR to suit (low gain or pushing the front with the output down).

Then go into the FATSO and drive that as hard (or not) as your aesthetic requires. Add whatever processing you like and output so you get good levels to the recorder (record at 24 bit and leave some nice headroom).

The least obvious (though the FATSO itself will impart some flavor) effect would be to go into channel 1 lightly, out into channel 2 for a bit more processing.

Chaining for subtle reduction.

Another popular technique would be to use FATSO 1 for light to medium processing and FATSO 2 in crush mode but set it to only react to the loudest parts.

....ad nauseum....

You have plenty of options. Experiment and have fun!

Cheers,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivale View Post
Thanks for very interesting suggestions. I’m using this set up for finger picking acoustic guitar recordings and very dynamic (nicely dynamic) female vocals and somehow I found that I’m getting great results with my acoustic guitar but not so great when it comes to vocals. I guess it is all about finding the right gain balance between Great River “Input”/”Output” and Fatso’s “Input/”Output”. I always have to keep the input gain on GR around 30 and the output gain at 12 O’clock then Fatso’s input at about 3 and output almost full to the right…

I’d like to try the Fatso in series and I’d really appreciate any advice on possible settings between all these units (dangers, benefits and general ideas of what to look for etc)

Thanks!

Carnivale
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search