The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
so i want to get more gear... Condenser Microphones
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

so i want to get more gear...

Ok, so I want to get a decent ITB setup, with some outboard and mics. Obviously this is going to take me awhile considering i don't have around 20 grand to throw.

Here are the things i want, In this order. I want them to be able to do mobile recording, and maybe a little bit of mixing, but nothing too extreme....

Apple Macbook Pro
A7 Monitors
Pacifica preamp
Digi 003
BLA 003 mod
API Lunchbox
API 525 compressor
Neumann U87
Amek 9098 EQ
Shure Drum mic package
Neumann KM184

Right now i have pt m-powered academic (but i want LE for certain reasons) a few 57's and some crappy mxl mics.

My question is, do you think that would be a good order to get those things? I have to save up for each guy, which may take a bit. What do you think?

Haha, can you tell i'm bored!?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

no flames mate plz.
just an idea. /my opinions.
but if i had that kinda money to blow.
i'd get a a quad core pc for 900 buks.
running reaper (40 buks..) for unlimited tracks and no dongles.
put in an extra fast 7200 rpm drive 16 mb cache for another 80 buks.
thats the pc dealt with for just over a "g note"
includeing recording software.
prolly i'd skip the u87.
there are lots of nice mics u can buy for the price of one u87.
prolly look at a RME sound interface for the ADA.
or a lynx.
yeh i'd take the pacifica if someone handed me one.
but i'd prolly , if i had the buks seriously look at great river mic pre from everything ive been told.
me...i've mixed on hi end studio monitors in the past n am kinda leery.
but thats just me. sometimes such monitors, even the best...
sometimes the mixes dont translate well to typical consumers stereo set ups.
but it depends on the mix engineer of course.
so i might go yorkville powered monitors n save some dough.
then get a nice pr of small accurate speakers.
which is what some big studios check their final mixes on.
auratone speakers were in "vogue" years ago.

overall, with respect i reckon a great engineer could save a lotta buks
over some of your suggestions with a greater variety of mics at less cost.
n mebe a small allen heath mixer (or mebe a used hi end mixer...)...
n still churn out great records. its all in how one uses the tools of course.
remember the 80 buk shure sm57 was used on lotsa gold records.

just some crazy ideas.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

would love to go that route, except I want pro tools and mobility. gracias though!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Don't waste your money on a Macbook Pro. Just get a regular Macbook. If you're not going to be doing any extreme mixing, then there isn't any point in spending another $1500 for the Pro. I'm using an iBook G4 for mobile recording, and I can get 12-14 simultaneous tracks at 24 bit/48k with no problems. I could probably go even higher, but I've never had the need.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

well, without arguing about your intended purchases...

i would start w/ a computer, the digi 003, and the monitors. this will at least give you a usable interface and front-end

then i would add mics and pres to the list

last would be outboard gear - use plugins in the meantime
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

thats more of the reply i was looking for. I was debating the Macbook, and i think i will go that route since it is a hell of a lot cheaper. I will get an external FW drive though.....

I really want those A7's........ haha

anything else?
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm running a G5 iMac for mobile, and works fine, I regularly track 18 tracks simultaneously, through a MOTU 828 MKII and an Onyx 800r. If you're committed to Protools, I guess the 003 is ok, I'd be spending my main $$$ on interface and monitoring to start. Are you planning to record concerts, or do location/unconventional space type stuff? I'd also invest in a good quality snake, 16x4 or bigger, 50ft at least. Makes life soooo much easier...
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

If you want PT and mobility, I think you'd be off to a pretty good start there, except for two suggestions I've already read here, and that's the move to a MacBook instead of the Pro, and I'd lose the U87 too.

There are an awful lot of mics I'd rather have for the money than the new 87, do a quick search and you'll end up with a lot of options. I like Charter Oak's stuff, and if you want to save a lot of dough, the Mojave Audio MA-200 is pretty sweet for the price.

Look into the dynamic mics from Heil, too. Serious bang-for-the-buck.

If you go with the 003, the Black Lion mod is pretty important... your sound will only be as good as the weakest link in your signal chain, and Digi makes some pretty weak links.

The A7s are great, I love mine, and if space is an issue they get a few extra points there.

The Pacifica is a great piece... I suppose if I could only have one pre, that might be it. But again, do a search, as there's no shortage of decent preamps at that price level and you have a lot of options.

The KM84s are pretty versatile, and a good investment IMHO.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hello.

Pre amps would be the very last thing, in my opinion.

If someone cann't make a good sounding professional record with something like Mackie, he or she cann't do it with Neve either, I think.

I have vintage Neve pres, ssl, Grace, etc, but I would not have gotten those before I learned recording technics.

As to monitors, if you would like to record "other people", and if you ever might go to professional studios, you may want to have industry standard monitors like Yamaha NS-10m. If you are none of above, you should get whatever you feel comfortable with.

I would pass all the outboard gear, also. Like I said I have Neves, (well I have just remembered that I have the Amek that you list, too!) and lots of vintage gear, but I have never suggested someone to get Neve or Amek or whatever if he or she is just starting out.

My 2 cents.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

haha well i'm def. not "just starting out" I'm actually used to working on an 80 channel SSL.....I just don't have any of my own gear! I've been taking stuff to the studios constantly, and I want to be able to save clients money by doing some overdubs once in awhile at my place or at their practice space. Perhaps preproduction as well.

Still, the advice is always great to hear!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

basskater87 .
for a "giggle"......why not bring out your rebellious mr hyde side. lol.
n see if u can do a recording with a 70 buk condenser mic
(loads at zzounds.com) useing a 30 buk art mp preamp.
i reckon any top flight pro audio engineer would get a good track recorded.
rebellion is good. and lots of fun seeing what can be wrung out of such gear.
ever done it ??
recording thru neumans>>>ssl's ..theres no challenge...lol.

what amazes me about the recording biz these days...
just a general comment..in the past musicians n producers were often so rebellious. n many songs. like the who's early songs n the stones etc.
were rebellious songs.
wheres the rebelling "against the man" philosophy these days ??.lol.
everythings just too SAFE in gear choices n conservative.
(just haveing fun.)
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Haha yea I have to admit mixing with an SSL and a bunch of outboard is a hell of a lot easier than mixing in PT-mpowered without a control surface. And mostly stock plugs.

However, It can be done. It just takes a lot more time, and a lot heavier listening.......

As for right now i do what i can with what i have!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search