The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can anyone give me some feedback on these Blue microphones? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Can anyone give me some feedback on these Blue microphones?

Im looking at the Dragonfly, The Blue Berry, The Kiwi And The baby bottle.

I will mostly use any of the above for female vocals, and some male vocals.

Do you own or use any of these mics? If so, what do you think of them?
Old 6th September 2007
You can hold the mic right up to an amp... that should give you excellent feedback.
heh
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

It won't unless the mic's chain goes into the amp.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
You can hold the mic right up to an amp... that should give you excellent feedback.
heh
yes.. hilarious.

For that cheesy post, you are awarded with the Pro Audio joke of the day AWARD! ;-)

Back to the blue Mics, You own or use any of these mics? What do you think about them?

Last edited by perx; 6th September 2007 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: xxx
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I used to own a Dragonfly and currently own a Mouse (although I used to have 2).

I liked the Dragonfly a lot on acoustic guitars, amps and drum overhead.

The Mouse is my go-to mic for outside kick and bass. It also works really well with female vocals and sibilant male vocals.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

I own a Baby Bottle. It's decent. Depends on the sound you're looking for. More people tend to rave about the Kiwi on vocals over the other models you've mentioned.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothemusic View Post
I own a Baby Bottle. It's decent. Depends on the sound you're looking for. More people tend to rave about the Kiwi on vocals over the other models you've mentioned.
yeah, the Kiwi seems like a popular mic. Tried searching for what gearslutz think about the Blueberry and the others, but didnt find that much info. Some compared the blueberry to an improved.. U87? cant remember..

Thanks for letting me know what you think about the baby bottle.. ;-)
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

I owed a baby bottle a earlier model and to be honest it was a dark wierd sounding mic as i checked around it seems early versions had this sound. The later ones do not. I think you can tell by if the pop screen surrounding the head has screws or not. Early versions dont have the screws. I sold it and got a blue Bluebird but it was too sibilant for my voice. Otherwise a great sounding mic > I think the mouse the kiwi and the bluebird would be better choices and ebay prices have dipped quite a bit for these mics.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

All their non-ball shaped mics are great, but very source dependent. As in, depending on what you put it on it will either sound great or sound horrible. Also very placement sensitive. I've got a baby and a Kiwi, and I love the Kiwi on vocals. Sits great in any mix. Baby bottle is almost ribbon like, very dark. Good combo with a 57 on electric. The Blueberry is indeed similar to the 87, but a little brighter. Never tried a Dragonfly, but I hear it kills on electric gtr.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Honestly the best thing I can say is find an online dealer that will let you try out or buy and return mics until you find one that you might think works best for you. I had a baby bottle and a mouse and both were extremely source dependent. I did not like the baby bottle on most of the sources I used it on, the mouse was more forgiving but still didn't work on everything. My gt57 by groove tubes was much nicer on a variety of sources. However I feel had I had a chance to find the blue mic that worked best on what I do it would've killed. I have a feeling though that I'd have to spend 2 grand or more to get what I wanted and I couldn't/can't justify spending that kind of money for my project studio.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I really like the Kiwi on vocals - it's nice and present and rarely needs very much in the way of EQ to make it sit nicely.

I've never used any of the other Blue mics though.
Old 6th September 2007
I own a BlueBerry..I bought when they were just introduced to the market, they were manufactured in Europe and the BlueBerry had excellent reniews at that time.
I heard later they manufactured them in China....and then I think again in Europe(Baltic Republic I think).

I can not comment of later versions..but my Blueberry sounds great and is a great mic for vocals and most sources.
Blue Mics were used by artist like Elton John on his vocals and many others.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I have a Dragonfly and it sounds great on vocals, percussion, and acoustic stringed instruments.

It often beats my U87 on female vocals, and occasionally acoustic guitars too. I just used it the other day on a bouzouki, and it sounded great.

thumbs up.

Jon
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

I've just begun to experiment with my Dragonfly DLX (different capsule
than Dragonfly)...I love it on acoustic guitar! For one particular artist
it outperformed my AT 4050 and Wunder CM-7 and slightly edged out
Neumann KM 84.

I have a couple of Blueberry's as well but have not yet A/B'd them in any
meaningful way. Will report back when I do.
Old 6th September 2007
I had a blue blueberry. I bought it for a "really nice vocal mic" before I knew that it's about finding the right mic for your voice not just an expensive LDC.

The blueberry is an awsome sounding mic... for certain sources. Owning a small project studio, the money was better put elsewhere. I recorded an experimental band that had a wind chime and it was also picking up vocals from the room. Sounded incredible.

The vocal sound was a high quality mic sound... but it had too much of a treble boost for me - made my voice sound funny and stood way out of a mix. It would probably be awesome on whispery female vocals with a nice warm preamp and some colorful compression.

The blueberry has no proximity effect. Instead if you sing really close to it, there is some kind of mid/low coloration as a result of whatever they use to take away the proximity effect. Personally I think the proximity effect is great for getting diverse sounds from a mic.

I think the blueberry is an excellent mic if put on certain sources that need extreme detail and clarity or need to be brightened up in a natural way. If I had read the descriptions on the blue website I would have known this beforehand. BLUE makes some very diverse mics made for specific purposes and they are mentioned on the website. The frequency responses are also very informative.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

# dragonfly: perfect for in yer face jazzy tenor and soprano saxophone! (that one for directness, and a neumann m7 capsule, if You want it really warm).

# blueberry: perfect for that CD-like sounding vocals - You'd definitly need no air-boost EQ any more! really the only one nicely shining buid-in HF boost, I know. Forget about AKG C414! not kidding! Great!

# mouse: great on bassdrums. and definitely not great on anything else!

# baby bottle: poor. :-(

# bottle: one of the greatest mics I ever heard! next to U47, U67, ELAM215, Rode Classic 1, CMV563-M7, Sony 800G. period. (check out elder Tori Amos recs!)
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think to buy any mic that sounds good you need to go for their up market range. I didn't like the Baby Blue either but now that I have the Kiwi I'm very happy with the Blue line of mics.

nIC
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by perx View Post
ySome compared the blueberry to an improved.. U87? cant remember..
I like my U-87ai much better than the Blueberry I had for several days, several years ago. The Blueberry wasn't nearly as versatile (it's a single-pattern mic, for one thing), and I personally didn't like the way it sounded on my voice or guitar. It didn't have a big, open sound like a U-87 has. I compared it to a TLM103 and a U-87 for voice and acoustic guitar and decided on the U-87. I highly recommend having a U-87 or two in just about any mic collection for music or voice studio (or live) recording.

I'm not a pro, and this is just my opinion.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejon View Post
I have a Dragonfly and it sounds great on vocals, percussion, and acoustic stringed instruments.
i have a dragonfly and agree wholeheartedly with all of these statements. i also love it on electric guitar amps and drum overhead duties.

i also agree with lowfreq in that it's *very* source and placement particular. it's the one mic i've got that's the pickiest about where it's stuck. you'll immediately know if it's the right (or wrong) mic for the task.

cheers,
wade
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

thanks to everyone that has replied so far.. Good info!

If anyone else have any experience with blue mics, please share.. ;-)
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

studio auditions

***************.com has some clips of all of the blue mics.The blueberry was my first choice as far as price verses sound.Nice on most vocals.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

I bought all of these 4 and after todays vocal session - I wanted to give my own feedback on some of these. What was recorded: female vocals.

preamp used together with these mics: Portico 5012 with SILK engaged.

The kiwi: AMAZING. I loved the open and wide sound I got out of it.

Dragonfly: By shifting the angle of the mic so it "leaned" back just a bit, the vocals recorded through it sounded great.. Not sure I can describe the diffirence from it and the kiwi. I guess the Kiwi is more "open" and "wider", but the dragonfly have its own sound and its really good.

The baby bottle: I think this is a really good mic for vocals. REALLY open. Both me and the singer noticed it straight away. I used it on half of the recorded material on this session. SUPER!

Blue berry: unfortunately I did not have time to test it. But I´ll post what I think about it after the next vocal session is completed.

To sum up my own personal experience so far with Blue Mics: AWESOME!
Ive been testing and buying alot of diffirent mics the last months and I am REALLY satisfied with all the blue mics..

Thanks again for everyone that gave their opinion on these mics in this thread! ;-)
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho View Post

# mouse: great on bassdrums. and definitely not great on anything else!

# baby bottle: poor. :-(
I disagree on those two points. I've found that the Baby Bottle works great in front of amps, and on some vox. I've also found that the Mouse works well in front of a bass amp, and on some vox.
Old 5th November 2007
Gear Nut

How would the baby bottle handle drums? I'm not talking about close mic'ing a snare but more like a meter or so in front of the kit and in a small room with fairly loud drums.
Old 5th November 2007
Gear Addict

I didn't much like the baby bottle. I find out too harsh on the top end, at least to my U87a
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

I totally forgot about this thread, and that I forgot to leave my feedback on the Blueberry. Again, same preamp, but this time through the portico 5043 aswell.

So blueberry -> 5012 -> 5043 -> DAW

For Female Vocals: very good, But a very diffirent sound compared to the other blue mics I bought.
I now use diffirent mics for diffirent purposes with the same singer.

So one mic for lead (the ones that suits her voice the best), then I use others (like the blueberry) for backing vocals, ad libs, etc.. Just to get a "distinct" diffirent flavour with the same singer.

I will soon test these mics on a saxophone, trumpet and a bass though. Excited to see how they will perform. ;-)
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

+1 Blueberry

Blueberry heaven.

I love this mic. Works great with my Pheonix DRS2. Use it mostly for female vocals and get a great silky sound. Fantastic on acc gtrs. Dont amp gtrs much (yep, sims baby!), but it can take a blast from an amp!
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Don't forget, there are 2 versions of the baby bottle, the Latvian and the American one. The Latvian's are darker, and some would say better. There were slight changes in the whole Blue Line when they started manufacturing in the U.S., but the baby bottle got it the worst. A lot of people think the rest of the line got better when they moved, but not the b.b. So it depends on which version you have.
Old 5th November 2007
Make that three versions...
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone give me some feedback on these Blue microphones?-trion6000.jpg  
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

Well, if you're gonna go there we'll be here all day. Violet Design anyone?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search